News:

Can anyone ever be sufficiently committed to Sparkle Motion?

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juana

re-reading The Magicians by Lev Grossman.

Narnia + Catcher in the Rye + Harry Potter + grimy bar
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Jasper

finished John Dies at the End a few days ago.  It is a good comedy, even if it is troperific at times.  I didn't know the editor of Cracked.com wrote it until afterwards.

Prince Glittersnatch III

Starting The Ginslinger today.
Wish me luck
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

Jasper

You mean gunslinger?  King's "magnum opus"?

I liked it, except for the books that go into backstory.  Those kinda fell flat.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Sigmatic on October 20, 2010, 01:17:30 AM

I liked it, except for the books that go into backstory.  Those kinda fell flat.

Really?  I thought Wizard and Glass (Book 4, primarily about Roland's backstory) was second only to The Gunslinger itself.  But books 5-7 were pretty awful.  Song of Susannah I try not to even speak of.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Jasper

Yeah, don't anybody read that one.  I couldn't finish it, and I will never try to again.

Jasper

Wizard and Glass was just...  I got what he was trying to DO, but after all the excitement of the previous books, it just felt too much like a different book that I didn't intend to start rearing.

Prince Glittersnatch III

Ive been told similar things, that the books start out good but toward the end they go to shit but its all worth it because of the ending.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Lord Glittersnatch on October 20, 2010, 03:29:16 AM

Ive been told similar things, that the books start out good but toward the end they go to shit but its all worth it because of the ending.

I especially liked the back story parts. 

In fact, I was furious when he didn't tell the story of Cuthbert & Alain's deaths.
Molon Lube

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 20, 2010, 03:35:09 AM
Quote from: Lord Glittersnatch on October 20, 2010, 03:29:16 AM

I especially liked the back story parts. 

In fact, I was furious when he didn't tell the story of Cuthbert & Alain's deaths.

I think the whole Jericho Hill story is now available in the comics, but those aren't written by King.  The first series retold the same story as Wizard and Glass but managed to make it infinitely less compelling.  Given Jericho Hill was the most interesting event hinted at in the whole fucking series, I can't imagine it being anything but disappointing.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on October 20, 2010, 03:37:41 AM

I think the whole Jericho Hill story is now available in the comics, but those aren't written by King. 

:madbanana:
Molon Lube

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Lord Glittersnatch on October 20, 2010, 01:13:37 AM
Wish me luck

while it's not necessary to have read all of his other works that tie in to the Dark Tower, it is pretty cool seeing things pop up in the series that come from other books outside the main story.

I read the first one a very long time ago, and didn't finish the series until he finally released the last one.  I had read nearly every book that ties into the Tower somehow.  Made the series much better IMO.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Prince Glittersnatch III

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 20, 2010, 12:47:10 PM
Wish me luck

while it's not necessary to have read all of his other works that tie in to the Dark Tower, it is pretty cool seeing things pop up in the series that come from other books outside the main story.

I read the first one a very long time ago, and didn't finish the series until he finally released the last one.  I had read nearly every book that ties into the Tower somehow.  Made the series much better IMO.

So far I have read:

Cell
Carrie
The Tommyknockers
Bag of Bones
The Green Mile
IT(unfortunatly)
Eyes of the Dragon

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Lord Glittersnatch on October 20, 2010, 05:42:56 PM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 20, 2010, 12:47:10 PM
Wish me luck

I read the first one a very long time ago, and didn't finish the series until he finally released the last one.  I had read nearly every book that ties into the Tower somehow.  Made the series much better IMO.

So far I have read:

Cell
Carrie
The Tommyknockers
Bag of Bones
The Green Mile
IT(unfortunatly)
Eyes of the Dragon

you almost HAVE to read The Stand before you dive in to The Dark Tower.  Insomnia less so because it's just another level of the tower, but still a good read.

From a Buick 8 and the first two short stories of Hearts in Atlantis are  fast reads that directly tie in to the Tower.

also, as a bit of interesting synchronicity that may have already been mentioned on this board in the past, but which you may not know.

From the wikipedia page for The Dark Tower:

QuoteDiscordia

December 7, 2009 saw the release of a spin-off online game entitled Discordia,[1] available to play for free on the official Stephen King website. The game is a continuation of the original Dark Tower story, following the war between the Tet Corporation and Sombra/NCP in New York, and it has been supervised by both Stephen King and Robin Furth. From the website: "Exploring the behind-the-scenes conflict between the two companies, Discordia introduces long-time Dark Tower fans to new characters and numerous mechanical/magical items developed by Mid-World's Old Ones. Over the course of our adventure we will visit many locations, both those familiar to Dark Tower fans and others which we only glimpsed in the Dark Tower novels. While we may not see Roland and his ka-tet in this adventure, the development team has remembered the faces of its fathers. We have done our best to honor the original Dark Tower series while simultaneously mapping new and exciting Dark Tower territory."

[EDIT]:also, you didn't like IT?
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Prince Glittersnatch III

the It book ruined the movie for me.
What with the kiddy gang bang and all.