News:

Yes we're horrible toxic people, because this is 2020's Mental Illness Olympics, and the winners get a free pass on giving life-threatening advice with the bonus of having zero accountability for their shit behaviour.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Tried to read that when I was young enough to let it scare me.  At that age, though, I was too young to finish such a damned thick book.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Lord Glittersnatch on October 20, 2010, 07:43:52 PM
the It book ruined the movie for me.
What with the kiddy gang bang and all.

yeah, bit of a shocker that part.

Quote from: Sigmatic on October 20, 2010, 07:45:14 PM
Tried to read that when I was young enough to let it scare me.  At that age, though, I was too young to finish such a damned thick book.

read it in the 4th grade I think.  it was my first King book.  scared the piss out of me.

also, my teacher took me aside and told me she didn't really think that book was appropriate for a kid my age.

:lulz:
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Prince Glittersnatch III

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 20, 2010, 07:57:07 PM

I still cant figure out why it was in there in the first place. WHAT DID IT ADD TO THE PLOT? You could cut the entire section out of the book without any problems.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

Jasper

I read it sometime in late elementary, I think.  It was scary at times, but I think I stopped because I'm generally not into horror novels, and I'm always getting distracted away from the books I'm reading by shinier books.  It's a pattern of mine.  I've got ten books on my desk right now, all of them at some point of having started but not finishing.  Hmm.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Lord Glittersnatch on October 20, 2010, 07:59:42 PM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 20, 2010, 07:57:07 PM

I still cant figure out why it was in there in the first place. WHAT DID IT ADD TO THE PLOT? You could cut the entire section out of the book without any problems.

fuck if I know.  I suppose he was using it as a way to bring the characters together, take away The Feartm so they could face the clown, but damn you'd think he could have done it some other way than having 6 guys run a train on one girl.  

and what were they, 12? 13?

that part always weirded me out.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Lord Glittersnatch on October 20, 2010, 05:42:56 PM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 20, 2010, 12:47:10 PM
Quote from: Lord Glittersnatch on October 20, 2010, 01:13:37 AM
Starting The Ginslinger today.
Wish me luck

while it's not necessary to have read all of his other works that tie in to the Dark Tower, it is pretty cool seeing things pop up in the series that come from other books outside the main story.

I read the first one a very long time ago, and didn't finish the series until he finally released the last one.  I had read nearly every book that ties into the Tower somehow.  Made the series much better IMO.

So far I have read:

Cell
Carrie
The Tommyknockers
Bag of Bones
The Green Mile
IT(unfortunatly)
Eyes of the Dragon

Read Green Mile. Saw movie. Preffered movie. Did not return to Steven King.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Disco Pickle

someone recommended the Mistborn Trilogy to me..  Im about 100 pages into the first book.  S'ok so far.

slothrop23

i think im going full circle from 5 years ago.  re reading a life inside by erwin james and now american gods.  in the middle of a book called mobius dick and about to start 'stop smoking you twat' by alan carr (not the british toothy comedian)
Wind turbines.

I'm a big fan

Hanni

Right now- I'm rereading 'The Left Hand of Darkness' by Ursula Le Guin, worth a read if you get the chance and like to have to think a bit*.

*I have to think a bit anyway, I blame my age for that.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Hanni on October 22, 2010, 10:18:56 PM
Right now- I'm rereading 'The Left Hand of Darkness' by Ursula Le Guin, worth a read if you get the chance and like to have to think a bit*.

we do as little of that as possible here. 

the last time the place nearly burned to the ground.

I'll look it up next time Im in the book warehouse in town.

Hanni

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 22, 2010, 10:22:55 PM
Quote from: Hanni on October 22, 2010, 10:18:56 PM

we do as little of that as possible here. 

the last time the place nearly burned to the ground.

I'll look it up next time Im in the book warehouse in town.

I don't really get along with thinking. When I 'read' the Principia I thought for the first 10 pages and tried to understand, my head hurt and then I just read the words and nodded in a knowing way.

slothrop23

Quote from: Liam on October 22, 2010, 10:28:24 PM
Cannot find 'Stop Smoking You Twat' mentioned online, on amazon or in the isbn catalogue, so I'm guessing its a self published?

I'd pick a copy up for my mate who's constantly trying to quit as a fun prezzy if I could find one, as I think the title alone would do it :D Do you have a linky please Slothrop?  

hi Liam, its not called that i just couldn't remember the title.  i have tried a few times too. hard work. it is however called easy way to stop smoking by allen carr.  i apologise for my rubbish brain.
Wind turbines.

I'm a big fan

slothrop23

:lulz:

it is tough.  my ladyfriend is the force behind the latest quit attempt, and where the book came from.  basically came home and its on the table.  i'm sure it wont work because im going to leave it on the table.  smoking is tasty
Wind turbines.

I'm a big fan

Juana

Re-reading Night Watch by Terry Pratchett. And I caught a shout-out to him from Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality - the password is always swordfish!
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Cain

Actually, that trope is much older than you think.  Terry was just lampshading it.