News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Cain

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Disco Pickle

Started The Colour of Magic Saturday.  Almost done. 
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on January 10, 2011, 09:06:20 PM

Not a big fan of that series.  More of a Sam Vimes guy, myself.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on January 10, 2011, 07:04:06 PM
Started A Game of Thrones yesterday.

Outstanding.  The last 3 books should be out by 2050.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

It gets better.  Interesting Times and The Last Continent in particular are amazing.  Sadly, Rincewind eventually gets absorbed into the more general Unseen University stories which, while they make good side characters to a series, do not really have what it takes to pull off a book on their own (see: Unseen Academicals for more, where Vetinari and Mr Nutt are needed to carry the story).

I also have a soft spot for Moist von Lipwig and William de Worde.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 10, 2011, 09:30:29 PM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on January 10, 2011, 09:06:20 PM

Not a big fan of that series.  More of a Sam Vimes guy, myself.

somewhere in a fog of authors over the years Terry Pratchett just didn't get any of my attention.

went and bought the first two in the series to see if I take a liking to them.  got the first one in hardback too, which is nice. 
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Disco Pickle

I loved them all but Feast for Crows.  Storm of Swords is the best one so far IMO.

Waiting for that damn HBO series to come out now.

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on January 10, 2011, 02:26:26 PM
Which reminds me, Lord G: Be prepared to have at least three bookmarks on hand -- one for the current place in the story, one for the footnotes at the end, and one to track the various narratives going on simultaneously.

Might pay off to try and dig up a digital copy of the book, preferably plain text, so you can just ctrl-F and search around then?

I mean, if he already bought the book in hardcopy, that's practically legal, right?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Xooxe

I was clearing out loads of old crap and found Discworld books. Guess I'm joining in.

Cain

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on January 10, 2011, 10:35:46 PM

I loved them all but Feast for Crows.  Storm of Swords is the best one so far IMO.

Waiting for that damn HBO series to come out now.

Same.  According to HBO, it should premiere April 17th

LMNO

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 10, 2011, 11:22:53 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD on January 10, 2011, 02:26:26 PM
Which reminds me, Lord G: Be prepared to have at least three bookmarks on hand -- one for the current place in the story, one for the footnotes at the end, and one to track the various narratives going on simultaneously.

Might pay off to try and dig up a digital copy of the book, preferably plain text, so you can just ctrl-F and search around then?

I mean, if he already bought the book in hardcopy, that's practically legal, right?

Oh, gods.  I couldn't even imagine how specific you'd need to be to do a search on a 1000 page postmodernist text.

Triple Zero

Oh, okay, I just used the trick for reading a fat fantasy book once, when I read about a character that was described as if he/she had already been introduced, but I completely forgot about. Searching for a fantasy name is much easier of course.

However, personally, with some effort I can usually dig up a part of a particular phrase or something from my memory and use that.

Unrelated to text file searching, when leafing backwards through a book to re-read something, I usually also have a fairly clear idea to where the text appeared on the page spread (left page/right page, top/bottom).
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cuddlefish

Just about done with RAW's "Quantum Psychology." It wasn't terrible, but it didn't have any information in it that you couldn't get from Illuminatus!/Schroedinger's Cat with a far more interesting presentation (though, it's a touch more clear in the non-fiction).

I think, though, you have to look at the concept of "quantum psychology" in a metaphorical sense to get anything meaningful out of the book. Because otherwise, you'll get suckered in to the quantum mysticism thing, which is unsafe footing.

This is the first RAW book, outside the above mentioned, that I've read, and, well, it was alright. I have a copy of "Prometheus Rising" that I'm going to tackle soon, so I'll suspend judgement until I've read it.
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?