News:

Sometimes I rattle the cage and beat my head uselessly against its bars, but sometimes, I can shake one loose and use it as a dildo.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

The series changes after the first five novels, which are but if you don't like Equal Rites, you probably won't like the rest.

LMNO

Quote from: Pickled Starfish on January 23, 2011, 07:08:28 PM
finished The Colour of Magic

funny, but not laugh out loud funny.  continuing on to The Light Fantastic to decide if I want to invest more time or money into this series.

Rincewind isn't my favorite character in the series, though he did grow on me eventually.

The Vimes stories are my favorite.  That and DEATH.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Sigmatic on January 23, 2011, 09:13:26 PM
The series changes after the first five novels, which are but if you don't like Equal Rites, you probably won't like the rest.

I suppose who likes which ones best is kind of personal, because I didn't enjoy Equal Rites that much :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Lenin McCarthy

Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. <3

the last yatto

Ment to put this here...

I Am Not A Man, I Am Dynamite! examines the historical, political and philosophical linkages between Nietzsche's transgressive thought and the transformative political vision of anarchism
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Cain

Karl Popper and the Social Sciences - William A Gorton

A highly useful account of Popper's situational analysis method and how it could be used to improve social science theory.

Disco Pickle

Shelved The Light Fantastic..  just not enjoying it at the moment.

picked up Gravity's Rainbow for another chapter and shelved it again, wondering why I torture myself with Pynchon.

now reading This is Not a Book by Michael Picard.  no relation to this guy:

:facepalm:

but may be related to the emote.

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on January 17, 2011, 05:15:26 AM
Quote from: Cain on January 11, 2011, 12:58:08 PM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on January 10, 2011, 10:35:46 PM
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on January 10, 2011, 07:04:06 PM
Started A Game of Thrones yesterday.

I loved them all but Feast for Crows.  Storm of Swords is the best one so far IMO.

Waiting for that damn HBO series to come out now.

Same.  According to HBO, it should premiere April 17th

So that has some of the best characterization I've ever read.  The best way I could describe how well fleshed out each role is that I feel like I could gossip about them.

AND I'm really psyched to see that Peter Dinklage is playing Tyrion Lannister.  While I was reading it I was thinking he'd be good for it (forgetting, actually, that they were intending to even make that series), then found out on IMDB he would be.  Sean Bean is also a good choice for Eddard Stark, and the girl they chose for Daenarys is gorgeous (she is not 14, as in the book).

Anyway, I'll be reading the Preacher series while I wait for the my hold on the next book to come into the library.

As if to prove my point, I was talking to my sister earlier and said "So...Gregor Clegash," and she yelled immediately "Oh my god, FUCK Gregor Clegash."   
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

The Wizard

Insanity we trust.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Cain on January 25, 2011, 10:49:40 AM

A highly useful account of Popper's situational analysis method and how it could be used to improve social science theory.

That sounds good.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

*GrumpButt*

A Feast for Crows.  George R.R. Martin <3
*sigh* You have to be kidding me.

Reeducation

The Immortalization Commission, Science and the Strange Quest to Cheat Death by John Gray.

"Science is like religion, an effort at transcendence that ends by accepting a world that is beyond understanding. All our enquiries come to rest in groundless facts. Just like faith, reason must at last submit; the final end of science is a revelation of the absurd."
I am very calm

Luna

Next up, digging up a copy of "At the Mountains of Madness."  Guillermo del Toro apparently is in preproduction, I'm going to have to catch this in the theater.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Faust

Has anyone a copy of Wittgenstein's mistress? I'd be willing to give em a few bob for a copy, I cant find the download file.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

Quote from: ☄ · · · N E T · · · ☄ on January 31, 2011, 11:28:56 AM
Quote from: Cain on January 25, 2011, 10:49:40 AM

That sounds good.

It is.  The concept was always a little fuzzy in Popper's own work, because of his own changing ideas on how social laws compare to scientific laws, but Gorton has a good crack at expanding on it, based on Popper's own work and the philosophy of science in general.