News:

All you can say in this site's defence is that it, rather than reality, occupies the warped minds of some of the planet's most twisted people; gods know what they would get up to if it wasn't here.  In these arguably insane times, any lessening or attenuation of madness is maybe something to be thankful for.

Main Menu

Random News Stories

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 29, 2006, 04:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

https://twitter.com/johnthelutheran/status/233110719309168640/photo/1

Man with Parkinson's arrested at Olympic road race for failing to smile. Sadly, not a joke.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Telarus on August 08, 2012, 04:10:22 PM
https://twitter.com/johnthelutheran/status/233110719309168640/photo/1

Man with Parkinson's arrested at Olympic road race for failing to smile. Sadly, not a joke.

Ex-post?  Can't see twitter.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Vaud on July 27, 2012, 06:17:54 AM
I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on it.  Any criticisms?  Or does it seem pretty accurate?

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/global-warmings-terrifying-new-math-20120719

All of its sources seem well-cited and Rolling Stone is known for good journalism (one of the last remaining sources for actual journalism, in fact).

We won't make it to two degrees, though. I mean, the planet will, for sure, but civilization as we know it won't.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Houston. Typical. http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Owner-wants-DEA-to-pay-for-truck-damage-from-sting-3743683.php
The truck, it turned out, had been everywhere but in the repair shop.

Commandeered by one of his drivers, who was secretly working with federal agents, the truck had been hauling marijuana from the border as part of an undercover operation. And without Patty's knowledge, the Drug Enforcement Administration was paying his driver, Lawrence Chapa, to use the truck to bust traffickers.

At least 17 hours before that early morning phone call, Chapa was shot dead in front of more than a dozen law enforcement officers - all of them taken by surprise by hijackers trying to steal the red Kenworth T600 truck and its load of pot.

In the confusion of the attack in northwest Harris County, compounded by officers in the operation not all knowing each other, a Houston policeman shot and wounded a Harris County sheriff's deputy.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,

The Good Reverend Roger

QuoteWorsfold, whose experience was first reported by Private Eye, claims police questioned him about his demeanour and why he had not been seen to be visibly enjoying the event.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Hell, if they're arresting people for lack of enthusiasm over the Olympics, they'd have to just shoot me outright.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on August 08, 2012, 05:00:17 PM
Houston. Typical. http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Owner-wants-DEA-to-pay-for-truck-damage-from-sting-3743683.php
The truck, it turned out, had been everywhere but in the repair shop.

Commandeered by one of his drivers, who was secretly working with federal agents, the truck had been hauling marijuana from the border as part of an undercover operation. And without Patty's knowledge, the Drug Enforcement Administration was paying his driver, Lawrence Chapa, to use the truck to bust traffickers.

At least 17 hours before that early morning phone call, Chapa was shot dead in front of more than a dozen law enforcement officers - all of them taken by surprise by hijackers trying to steal the red Kenworth T600 truck and its load of pot.

In the confusion of the attack in northwest Harris County, compounded by officers in the operation not all knowing each other, a Houston policeman shot and wounded a Harris County sheriff's deputy.

It's interesting, how all of the DEA's drug stings seem to involve them importing ENORMOUS quantities of drugs.

It's also interesting that every time documentation for their instrumental involvement in drug trafficking surfaces, it's quickly shoved  under the rug and then shortly thereafter dismissed with "Well that was BACK THEN..."

As if a goddamn thing has changed.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on August 08, 2012, 05:10:37 PM
QuoteWorsfold, whose experience was first reported by Private Eye, claims police questioned him about his demeanour and why he had not been seen to be visibly enjoying the event.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Hell, if they're arresting people for lack of enthusiasm over the Olympics, they'd have to just shoot me outright.

Unfortunately, because Britain is winning medals, all criticisms of the Olympics have pretty much ceased.

It's the same dynamic as Beijing 2008 - those were going to be the "genocide olympics", until Britain started bringing home the gold.  Then all criticism of China's human rights records were suddenly forgotten.

Even fucking Charlie Brooker is cheering on the games now.  And Boris Johnson must be feeling great, since he is almost certainly going to use this international exposure to bid for the leadership of the Tories, once Cameron is ousted in 2015.

Yes, that bumbling idiot with the hair is very likely to become, at least, the Leader of the Opposition.

inode_buddha

US will not go after Goldman Sachs. Dropping the case after a year. Wall Street Journal linkage:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443537404577579840698144490.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

...right when I think I've seen it all... :horrormirth:
C|N>K

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: inode_buddha on August 10, 2012, 03:48:05 AM
US will not go after Goldman Sachs. Dropping the case after a year. Wall Street Journal linkage:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443537404577579840698144490.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Fucking hell.

LMNO

Paywall -- but I have a feeling I can find this story elsewhere.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Dear Departed Uncle Nigel on August 10, 2012, 07:31:01 AM
Quote from: inode_buddha on August 10, 2012, 03:48:05 AM

Fucking hell.

"Don't be angry, it's only show business", the Alien account smiled.

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,

Phox

Telarus

http://truth-out.org/news/item/10833-obamas-fast-and-furious-assault-on-medical-marijuana

Details how Holder shifted the "Fast and Furious" attention he was getting from Congress onto busting potheads.

QuoteBy early October 2011, there were calls for a special prosecutor to investigate whether Holder had perjured himself during testimony before Congress. Right-wing pundits described the scandal as "Obama's Watergate." The ATF announced a major shake-up at the top of the bureau. A chorus of disgruntled sheriffs and other G-men clamored for Holder's resignation. The Attorney General was losing support among law enforcement rank-and-file.

But Holder had an ace up his sleeve, and he played it at a crucial moment.

Ever since California voters approved Proposition 215, which legalized marijuana for medical use in 1996, law enforcement lobbyists had been urging the federal government to enforce prohibition and choke off the burgeoning industry.

On October 7, the same day Holder wrote a detailed letter to Rep. Issa, defending his handling of the Fast and Furious affair, four federal prosecutors in California held a hastily organized press conference in which they threw down the gauntlet and announced the start of a far-ranging crackdown that would nearly decimate the Golden State's medical marijuana industry.

Within ten months, close to half of California's 1400 dispensaries would shut down as the DEA waged an all-out vendetta against what Proposition 215 had unloosed. The drug police weren't just going after the bad apples; they were going after every apple in the barrel. Cannabis dispensaries abiding by state law were raided by federal agents. Federal prosecutors threatened to seize property from landlords who rented to medical marijuana facilities. The feds also threatened municipal officials who sought to implement state medical marijuana regulations. Federally insured banks and credit card companies refused to service marijuana-related enterprises.

Medical marijuana proponents were stunned and mystified by the ferocity of the Obama administration's assault on the industry in California and elsewhere. Why did the former pot-smoking Choom Gang kid unleash the dogs of the drug war against a thriving business sector when times were tough economically and jobs were scarce? Why would the president risk alienating his base when public opinion polls showed that more than half of Americans favored legalizing marijuana for personal use?

Much more at the link.
Telarus, KSC,