PD.com: The combined word for "horror" and "mirth"

Main Menu

Random News Stories

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 29, 2006, 04:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Cain on May 09, 2013, 09:21:03 AM
Quoteonline magazine Spiked

Stopped reading right there.  Spiked is basically contrarianism for its own sake.

In fact, Spiked Online has a very interesting history, when you look into it.  Originally called "Living Marxism", it was the journal of the Revolutionary Communist Party (UK, 1978) a Trotskyist outfit that somehow drifted into extreme corporate libertarianism and support for Tony Blair's endless wars of foreign interventionism.

Inbetween that, they spent a lot of time arguing that therapy was bad, that paedophilia criminalised being an older man, and undertaking literary criticism.

Good to know, thanks. I'd seen it in a few places and hadn't looked at what spiked was. Looking at a couple of articles, balance isn't one of their watchwords.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 09, 2013, 06:38:40 PM
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/09/18149623-8-die-in-clothing-factory-fire-in-bangladesh-as-rana-plaza-toll-passes-900?lite

At least I get my clothing cheap.

Yeah, and at least I can afford to have a dozen pairs of pants instead of just a couple like in the old days. When they wear out, I can just throw them away and buy more, like the manufacturers do with people.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on May 09, 2013, 06:51:56 PM
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/09/18149623-8-die-in-clothing-factory-fire-in-bangladesh-as-rana-plaza-toll-passes-900?lite

Yeah, and at least I can afford to have a dozen pairs of pants instead of just a couple like in the old days. When they wear out, I can just throw them away and buy more, like the manufacturers do with people.

When I ask "What kind of world do you want?", it is pretty obvious what kind of world America wanted. 

Cheap at ANY price™, if you catch my meaning.  There's always another poor kid waiting to sweep up the last "employee" and step into his/her job.  And it's WAY THE FUCK OVER THERE, where we don't have to see it.  Because that might make us uncomfortable, and that would diminish our American Experience™.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Junkenstein

QuoteSix were cleared to reopen on Thursday after inspectors issued safety certificates.

Well I bet they'll feel just super at work.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on May 09, 2013, 06:55:24 PM
QuoteSix were cleared to reopen on Thursday after inspectors issued safety certificates.

Well I bet they'll feel just super at work.

How'd they get cleared so fast?

Oh, yeah.

Junkenstein

It's all part of the fun of outsourcing. Demand for cheap shit rises, so the lowest labour costs are sought. Labour gets cheaper when burdened by fewer regulations resulting in hilariously deadly working environments.

The UK's been on to this for a long time. Ever since Victorian factory owners had to relent against (14/12? at least 12) hour days cheaper product has been imported where viable. More than a few dynasties are built on those past edge positions too. There's also the paternalistic aspect in modern times where we get to look and criticise them for being unsafe when the conditions are easily comparable to recent history.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on May 09, 2013, 07:08:23 PM
It's all part of the fun of outsourcing. Demand for cheap shit rises, so the lowest labour costs are sought. Labour gets cheaper when burdened by fewer regulations resulting in hilariously deadly working environments.

The UK's been on to this for a long time. Ever since Victorian factory owners had to relent against (14/12? at least 12) hour days cheaper product has been imported where viable. More than a few dynasties are built on those past edge positions too. There's also the paternalistic aspect in modern times where we get to look and criticise them for being unsafe when the conditions are easily comparable to recent history.

Well, we weren't prepared to accept the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire, but Bangladesh?  Isn't that what they're for?

Junkenstein

To sum up My People when presented with this news : "Plenty more where they came from" and various similar things.

There was shouting today. Lots of shouting.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 09, 2013, 06:54:40 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on May 09, 2013, 06:51:56 PM

When I ask "What kind of world do you want?", it is pretty obvious what kind of world America wanted. 

Cheap at ANY price™, if you catch my meaning.  There's always another poor kid waiting to sweep up the last "employee" and step into his/her job.  And it's WAY THE FUCK OVER THERE, where we don't have to see it.  Because that might make us uncomfortable, and that would diminish our American Experience™.

Not even to mention how we blow through farm workers like so much tissue paper, and have rigged the world food market so that local farmers can't compete with our subsidized prices. One of the reasons Mexico is in such deep shit is because farmers there can't afford to farm, thanks to NAFTA.

Enjoy your $3 quart of strawberries.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh, and more than 25,000 farmers have committed suicide in India.

But hey, OUR food is cheap. Too expensive for Those People Over There, but on average Americans only spend 10% of our annual income on food, less than we ever have at any point in history. Half what we did in the 1960's.

Woo.

Junkenstein

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/04/30/sony-patent-is-hilarious-terrifying/?iid=obnetwork

I don't know where to put this.

QuoteMaybe patent illustrations shouldn't be fair game. After all they are intentionally crude, existing to be simultaneously vague and specific, laying claim to an innovation or idea without giving too much away. And yet, Sony (SNE) patent 8246454 B2 is irresistible. Filed in 2009 and published last summer, the patent describes "methods, systems, and computer programs for converting television commercials into interactive network video games." In other words, it describes the potential future of interactive ads.

The future of advertising seems assured and even more obnoxiously intrusive than before. There's something about having to interact with the ad that makes my teeth itch.

LMNO

I also love that the assumed default tv show is two people shooting each other.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on May 10, 2013, 08:14:02 PM
I also love that the assumed default tv show is two people shooting each other.

The only American alternative would be considered bad taste in a patent application.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Junkenstein

There's so much shit wrong with it. Standing up and shouting brand names. Voluntarily. What the fuck is this?