News:

PD may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.  If PD splits open, do not look directly at resulting goo.  PD is still legal in 14 states.

Main Menu

Random News Stories

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 29, 2006, 04:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Mae Bollocks

STUB ANOTHER ONE! IN THE OTHER EYE! DO IT DO IT DO IT...  :lulz:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

AFK

Lame.  Why do Bert and Ernie need to be sexualised at all?
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: My Other Username Is A Pseudonym on June 30, 2013, 12:31:57 AM

A. I don't see them engaging in a sexual activity in this image. "Homosexual" doesn't just mean what you like to do with your genitals, you know. I mean, Teh Gays do have emotions, just like normal people. In fact, recent studies have shown that their DNA is over 99.9% similar to humans!

B. As characters depicted as being people, it can be reasonably inferred that, if they were real, they would have sexual orientations. Of course, they are not people, they are puppets, and anyone with two brain cells banging around in their head knows that Bert and Ernie are not actually gay, and that the image linked above is just a statement about people who have long been abused and discriminated against finally getting some comforting news.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

AFK

Right, they aren't people, they are puppets.  So A) it makes no sense and B) it kind of trivializes the event, IMO.

AFK

I mean, seriously, the New Yorker has a chance to make an actual meaningful statement on their cover with respect to this monumental decision, and they stick a couple of muppets on the cover.  It's lame. 

AFK

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: My Other Username Is A Pseudonym on June 30, 2013, 01:16:07 AM
Right, they aren't people, they are puppets.  So A) it makes no sense and B) it kind of trivializes the event, IMO.

A) Yes it does, so neener neener, etc.

B) Anything that gets people talking about a thing sort of does the opposite of trivializing it.

Quote from: My Other Username Is A Pseudonym on June 30, 2013, 01:17:34 AM
I mean, seriously, the New Yorker has a chance to make an actual meaningful statement on their cover with respect to this monumental decision, and they stick a couple of muppets on the cover.  It's lame. 

It's symbolic, and although I also would rather have seen a more meaningful image like an actual gay wedding or happy protesters outside the SCOTUS compound, it isn't my magazine. And gay Bert and Ernie does make a statement, no matter how "lame" you might think it is. Maybe it's aimed at people who aren't necessarily going to be struck by the beauty of a gay wedding or happy protesters or whatever else it could have been on the cover.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

AFK

It seems to be aimed at simpletons who need cartoon characters to do their thinking for them. 

Way to go New Yorker!

Salty

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: My Other Username Is A Pseudonym on June 30, 2013, 01:19:32 AM
This article which was linked in the previous article nails it:  http://flavorwire.com/401071/the-new-yorkers-bert-and-ernie-doma-cover-is-infantilizing-and-offensive

The comments section for that article already say everything I'm thinking right now, so there's really no need for me to type it out.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

AFK

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on June 30, 2013, 02:08:42 AM
Quote from: My Other Username Is A Pseudonym on June 30, 2013, 01:19:32 AM
This article which was linked in the previous article nails it:  http://flavorwire.com/401071/the-new-yorkers-bert-and-ernie-doma-cover-is-infantilizing-and-offensive

The comments section for that article already say everything I'm thinking right now, so there's really no need for me to type it out.

I like this one:

Amanda Harper
This article fails to point out something that I find REALLY important in this discussion; Sesame Street has actually addressed this issue publicly and made clear that Bert and Ernie are muppets, have no sexuality and are therefore NOT GAY. That's from the source, folks. Even if you want to believe that they're just in the closet, I really feel like characters simply can't be gay icons if their creators insist that it's not true.
There are lots of other characters, lots of actual people, who are definitely, for-sure, actually gay. Why pick two characters who are only thought to be gay based on innuendo?

LMNO

This is silly. The New Yorker covers always deal with PERCEPTIONS. There is a trope the B&E are gay. That's both the beginning and end of it. No matter what HensonCo says, that cover evokes emotions in a huge swath of people. The cover isn't proofed for accuracy. It's proofed for impact.

And it's adorable.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: My Other Username Is A Pseudonym on June 30, 2013, 12:31:57 AM

And then RWHN was Enki.
Molon Lube