News:

Testamonial:  "My god, you people are depressing."

Main Menu

Random News Stories

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 29, 2006, 04:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

WTH? Geez....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/third-navy-official-arrested-in-bribery-probe/2013/11/06/467f9e80-4735-11e3-a196-3544a03c2351_story.html
Third Navy official arrested in bribery probe
QuoteFederal prosecutors arrested a third senior Navy official in a widening bribery scandal Wednesday, charging that he delivered classified and other sensitive information to a major defense contractor in exchange for prostitutes, luxury travel and more than $100,000 in cash.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/07/us/cia-is-said-to-pay-att-for-call-data.html?_r=0
C.I.A. Is Said to Pay AT&T for Call Data
QuoteWASHINGTON — The C.I.A. is paying AT&T more than $10 million a year to assist with overseas counterterrorism investigations by exploiting the company's vast database of phone records, which includes Americans' international calls, according to government officials. The cooperation is conducted under a voluntary contract, not under subpoenas or court orders compelling the company to participate, according to the officials. The C.I.A. supplies phone numbers of overseas terrorism suspects, and AT&T searches its database and provides records of calls that may help identify foreign associates, the officials said. The company has a huge archive of data on phone calls, both foreign and domestic, that were handled by its network equipment, not just those of its own customers.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Salty

That last one is just a lollercoaster of duh.

What, the US defines ATT's network as US infrastructure because it cares about the well being of its citizens infrastructure?

:lulz:

Prediction of number of ATT customers who will complain about this in stores: 0
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on November 07, 2013, 10:41:15 PM
QuoteIt may be counterintuitive, but walking might be worse for the environment than driving.
That's the conclusion Richard B. Mckenzie, a professor of Economics at the Paul Merage School of Business comes to in his blog post on EconLib.

Because of the way food supply chains work, walking a mile — and consequently expending calories that need to be replaced — might actually be more wasteful and polluting than driving a mile.

He takes the example of a 180 pound man who chooses to walk a mile to work instead of driving. Walking a mile will burn 200 calories more than the 2000 calories he burns just to survive. Producing food worth 200 calories takes up to 3000-4000 calories. So a person that drives a high fuel economy car that burns 40 miles per gallon will be using only a half to two-thirds of the energy than the walker uses in replacing the calories he expended on walks.

The heavier you get, the less efficient walking is, as a heavier person would burn more calories from walking a mile. So walking can be 1.5 to 2 times more polluting than driving a high mileage car.

Emphasis not mine.

QuoteBut don't go out and buy yourself a new Hummer just yet. The less mileage your car has, the better walking looks in comparison. Also, if you're eating a mostly vegetarian diet, your energy consumption and pollution through food is minimized.

Dumbasses. The obvious best solution for the environment and health is for everyone to just get food delivered directly to their door minimising any energy output by you to near zero.

What the fuck is this nonsense?

The nonsense assumes that the food for every person is grown individually.  Also, the cost of getting oil out of the ground, transporting it, refining it, transporting it again PLUS the cost of making the car and all the components (plastic, rubber, steel, etc) is far higher than the cost of growing food and then transporting it.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Alty on November 07, 2013, 10:27:07 PM
http://www.businessinsider.com/walking-may-be-worse-for-the-environment-than-driving-2013-11

Check out this heady dose of bullshit.

Those food supply chains are in our best interest. In fact, it reinforces this idea and binds it to the sales of automobiles.

From the article:
"The heavier you get, the less efficient walking is, as a heavier person would burn more calories from walking a mile.

WELL WE CERTAINLY CAN'T HAVE THAT!  :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Salty

I internet a lot, and I'm not alone there, but that shit is the dumbest shit I've ever seen in my entire life, considering the level of detail in that analysis.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Alty on November 08, 2013, 02:40:20 AM
I thought you'd like that.

It's mind-bogglingly fucking idiotic.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I wonder which auto company paid him to write that.

You know, the auto companies are in a bit of a pinch right now, because younger people aren't especially interested in buying cars. Not the way they used to be. Plus, increasing urbanization means that cars are becoming less and less necessary, or even useful.

Paolo Solari would be proud.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

This is probably worth it's own thread depending on coming developments:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24863120

QuoteThe late Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat may have been poisoned with radioactive polonium, according a Swiss forensic report.

Palestinian investigator Tawfik Terawi and Arafat's personal doctor hold a news conference to discuss the Swiss scientists' findings.

All sorts of potentially shady shit here. Polonium may ring some bells as spooks new fangled poison of choice. It's even been used in the UK, allegedly by Russians.

Which makes all of this very interesting to me. Arafat didn't have many friends, but I didn't think his enemies were this stupid.

Israel strongly denies any involvement of course. The Swiss are making no friends here either but they at least seem to be doing the right thing.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

UK continues to ape USA. We want our own highly profitable student loans sector too:

QuoteSome universities may eventually charge students from England up to £20,000 a year, a vice-chancellor has told the Times Higher Education magazine.

Tuition fees paid by home students at English institutions are capped at £9,000, overseas students pay more.

The sector may start to see both groups the same way, says Prof Nick Petford, of Northampton University

His comments come as a report argues that universities will need more money to cope as demand for places rises.

The report, published on Thursday by the umbrella group Universities UK (UUK), says that higher fees charged by universities since last year have merely replaced cuts to government funding

QuoteProf Petford argues that some universities "with high brand value will be able to charge £17,000, £18,000 or £20,000 in the future - I am sure of that".

Small steps, but the path is clear. I'd guess that 20K figure to be reached within 6 years, and probably upwards of 30 in a decade or so. There's fucking huge wads of cash to be made out of these people before tying them into jobs that have no hope of repaying the debt before they're around 50.

Good luck getting any students to believe that any political party will actually fight for their interests. Results in non-voting youth who are able to be screwed over even harder.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 08, 2013, 05:51:12 AM
Quote from: Alty on November 08, 2013, 02:40:20 AM
I thought you'd like that.

It's mind-bogglingly fucking idiotic.
I came to that conclusion and stopped reading at "professor of Economics".
I'll try again for the lulz.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 08, 2013, 06:01:07 AM

You know, the auto companies are in a bit of a pinch right now, because younger people aren't especially interested in buying cars. Not the way they used to be. Plus, increasing urbanization means that cars are becoming less and less necessary, or even useful.

I hate having a car, and I have TWO of the bastards. I fantasize more often about my city implementing effective mass transit than about being marooned on an island full of beautiful ladies who have no word for "modesty." If I found a magic lamp my first wish would be for Phoenix to build a subway system that rivals Tokyo, followed by a wish for a free lifetime pass, and then (maybe) for world peace. I hope I live long enough to see this awful automobile culture wither and die for good.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Sita

Every time I hear about people doing without a car the one thing that always comes to mind that I wonder about is how do they shop for groceries?
Devote an entire day just to go to the store and back? Seeing as you can't typically carry more than 4 bags of groceries at a time....
:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

Salty

Well, for one, I either have a bike trailer/sled get up. Or very large backpacks and the bus. Or walking with a sled/duffle bag. Or a cab.

We also mostly make our own food, so wheat/oats/other bulk items are only purchased so often.

I'd like to have more bulk food delivered. Tea and flour and such.

Salty

It's way fucking easier with a car.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: V3X on November 08, 2013, 06:56:55 PM
Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 08, 2013, 06:01:07 AM

I hate having a car, and I have TWO of the bastards. I fantasize more often about my city implementing effective mass transit than about being marooned on an island full of beautiful ladies who have no word for "modesty." If I found a magic lamp my first wish would be for Phoenix to build a subway system that rivals Tokyo, followed by a wish for a free lifetime pass, and then (maybe) for world peace. I hope I live long enough to see this awful automobile culture wither and die for good.

Yep. There's no infrastucture here - CAINT HAVE THEM COMMUTER RAILS! HOW WE GONNA SELL ERL?

San Antonio is considering putting in a trolley system and people are BITCHING about that.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division