News:

"At the teaparties they only dunked bags into cups of water...because they didn't want to break the law. And that just about sums up America's revolutionary spirit."

Main Menu

Random News Stories

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 29, 2006, 04:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Telarus on November 27, 2013, 05:16:42 AM
Quote from: LuciferX on November 27, 2013, 04:30:44 AM
Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on November 27, 2013, 03:08:24 AM
I look great in purple.
Of course you do, but that is beyond a question of merit or entitlement, and you know that because it's true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkkIwO_X4i4

I love Gogol Bordello! And somehow I forgot about that song. They make me slightly uncomfortable, though, because I went to see them with my ex and the singer looks like him. So I'm like, what is this awkward sensation? Why am I sad and aroused?

This is reminding me that I need to hit on the guy who looks like him in my chemistry class.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

popeluvicasksc

"Explorers in the further regions of experience. Demons to some. Angels to others."- Pinhead

Cain

Yet another suspected right-wing extremist with a side interest in "abusive images":

QuoteA serving UK soldier has been arrested under the Terrorism Act after a "suspicious device" was found at a house in Salford.

The device, understood to be a nail bomb, was discovered last week.

The soldier, 19, was arrested on Monday by military police in Germany and brought back to Britain to be questioned.

The BBC understands he has been questioned about suspected links to right-wing extremism.

Greater Manchester Police found the suspected nail bomb while executing a warrant in Mellor Street, Patricroft, on Thursday, following a tip-off about images of abuse on a computer.

A 20-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of possessing abusive images following the raid and police also recovered "several items of literature which could be viewed by some as potentially inflammatory".

This is practically a profile, at this stage.  The amount of far-right terrorists who have been found to also have had images of children in their possession (though it's not clear at this stage that this was specifically children) is surprisingly high.

Cain

Also, if you want a perfect example of how to manipulate the news in the last week, look no further than Amazon.

After a number of bad UK stories, including the fact Amazon pays no UK taxes at all despite earning £7 billion a year and that Amazon warehouse workers are treated so appallingly that they are at much greater risk of mental illness, all it takes is one story about delivery drones to cause the tech geeks to orgasm at the sight of Jeff Bezos, and for all the bad stories to fall away.

Junkenstein

This is true.

Despite all the obvious problems and restrictions, we'd rather talk about how to get shiny shit to the doorstep faster than worry about people's actual working conditions and lives.

Somewhat related, everyone's been jumping on the Amazon bandwagon lately.

There's more than a few articles with similar content to this one
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/dec/01/week-amazon-insider-feature-treatment-employees-work

and I believe a book covering the subject in more detail was recently released too.

I'm sure there will be quite a few people promising to never use amazon again after this bout of xmas shopping.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Cain on December 04, 2013, 10:32:42 AM
Yet another suspected right-wing extremist with a side interest in "abusive images":

QuoteA serving UK soldier has been arrested under the Terrorism Act after a "suspicious device" was found at a house in Salford.

The device, understood to be a nail bomb, was discovered last week.

The soldier, 19, was arrested on Monday by military police in Germany and brought back to Britain to be questioned.

The BBC understands he has been questioned about suspected links to right-wing extremism.

Greater Manchester Police found the suspected nail bomb while executing a warrant in Mellor Street, Patricroft, on Thursday, following a tip-off about images of abuse on a computer.

A 20-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of possessing abusive images following the raid and police also recovered "several items of literature which could be viewed by some as potentially inflammatory".

This is practically a profile, at this stage.  The amount of far-right terrorists who have been found to also have had images of children in their possession (though it's not clear at this stage that this was specifically children) is surprisingly high.

While it has been left open if it's images of children, I can't say it would be a surprise. Would it be reasonable to speculate that these images may have been planted? It's a good way to have the public/media automatically on-side and justifies shoving a trial through as quickly and quietly as possible. Who's going to want to defend the guy caught with abusive images? Not many. There was also the part about "inflammatory literature". That's pretty vague and could cover all sorts of things. Probably things in all our libraries.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting the guy may be innocent, it's just when you get this kind of thing so frequently it seems worth considering further external factors.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Theoretically, it is possible in some cases, yes.

However, it seems to be something inherent in elements of fascist and far-right ideology which make it attractive to pedophiles, or vice-versa.  Paedophilia has been used as a stand-in or motif for fascism by certain film-makers before now, but I suspect the link goes beyond that.

When you have ideologies which valourise the healthy young, antinomianism and transgression, the strong ruling over the weak...well, you can see how that could easily fit alongside a predatory interest in others.

LMNO

Yeah, I was gonna say what Cain just said... Rape/abuse/etc is about power over others, and meshes frighteningly well with some right-wing ideology.

Salty

http://www.inquisitr.com/1038642/cotton-ball-diet-gaining-popularity-worrying-health-officials/

OH NOES! HEALTH OFFICIALS WORRIED OVER YOUTUBE SENSATION LINING YOUR CHILDREN'S INNOCENT STOMACHS.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Alty on December 04, 2013, 05:32:57 PM
http://www.inquisitr.com/1038642/cotton-ball-diet-gaining-popularity-worrying-health-officials/

OH NOES! HEALTH OFFICIALS WORRIED OVER YOUTUBE SENSATION LINING YOUR CHILDREN'S INNOCENT STOMACHS.
It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if this was actually a problem. People are stupid.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Junkenstein

Cain/LMNO, Appreciated. Just seems this kind of thing comes up with increasing frequency so I'm going to have to put cash on a genuine miscarriage of justice sooner or later. Bad luck for that guy. Probably not this time, but i'd say it's inevitable.

minuspace

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 04, 2013, 01:39:17 PM
Yeah, I was gonna say what Cain just said... Rape/abuse/etc is about power over others, and meshes frighteningly well with some right-wing ideology.
And that folds neatly to match his profile with the evidence presented.  It'd be hard to resist just how flush it all fits together... Tight... Too right to be wrong. :horrormirth:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

What the hell

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25120783

QuoteYoung people are anonymously bullying and trolling themselves online in what some are calling cyber self-harm. Why?

Internet trolling is on the increase, according to recent reports. When people are bombarded with abuse and threats on social networking sites the common assumption is that a stranger is doing it, but it's not always the case.

Some people do it to themselves.

It's known as self-trolling or self-cyberbullying and some charities and social media experts say it is part of another emerging problem, predominantly among young people, they are calling cyber or digital self-harm.

Statistics on prevalence are not easy to come by, with just one known study into the practice so far. The Massachusetts Aggression Reduction Centre (MARC) found that of the 617 students it interviewed, 9% had anonymously cyberbullied themselves.

"I don't think it dawned on anyone that teens would leverage anonymity in this way, it tends to startle anyone I tell about it," says youth culture and technology expert Dr Danah Boyd, one of the first people to highlight cyber self-harm.

I knew people did this, but I didn't realize it was a THING.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."