News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "Spoiled brats of the pagan world, I thought. I really don't have a lot of respect for Discordians. They just strike me as spiritually lazy."

Main Menu

Random News Stories

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 29, 2006, 04:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Raz Tech on May 30, 2014, 08:10:48 PM

Nowadays, every time anything like this happens it's made to look like the CO's fault, in a report that goes all the way to the pentagon.

This sort of applies to everything, though.

Fact is, the system itself is broken.  It was broken back in the 80s and 90s while I was in, and it's a little worse now.  It is broken because of EXACTLY what you just said, and it applies to damn near everything that goes wrong.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Raz Tech

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 30, 2014, 08:50:15 PM

Nowadays, every time anything like this happens it's made to look like the CO's fault, in a report that goes all the way to the pentagon.

Fact is, the system itself is broken.  It was broken back in the 80s and 90s while I was in, and it's a little worse now.  It is broken because of EXACTLY what you just said, and it applies to damn near everything that goes wrong.

Interesting, what branch?  I often wonder if I look back on my whole experience, or of it just always keeps getting worse and the beginning never seems as bad. 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Raz Tech on May 30, 2014, 09:37:59 PM

Interesting, what branch?  I often wonder if I look back on my whole experience, or of it just always keeps getting worse and the beginning never seems as bad.

Army, infantry for 10 years (7 years light, 3 years mechanized).  And in hindsight, it was FUCKED when I joined, and FUCKED EVEN WORSE when I left, and historically speaking has ALWAYS been GOING TO HELL and FUCKED.

Yet it still exists.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Raz Tech

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 31, 2014, 12:22:19 AM

Fact is, the system itself is broken.  It was broken back in the 80s and 90s while I was in, and it's a little worse unow.  It is broken because of EXACTLY what you just said, and it applies to damn near everything that goes wrong.

Army, infantry for 10 years (7 years light, 3 years mechanized).  And in hindsight, it was FUCKED when I joined, and FUCKED EVEN WORSE when I left, and historically speaking has ALWAYS been GOING TO HELL and FUCKED.

Yet it still exists.

I wish it didn't.  I also wish I didn't waste part of my life on it.  Furthermore, I hate the part of me that kind of misses it sometimes.  But fuck it, time to pack up and move on, it's Friday night and I've got drunker to get.

It'll all be drones soon anyways.  And these ones will be mechanical, as opposed to organic.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Raz Tech on May 31, 2014, 12:41:13 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 31, 2014, 12:22:19 AM

Fact is, the system itself is broken.  It was broken back in the 80s and 90s while I was in, and it's a little worse unow.  It is broken because of EXACTLY what you just said, and it applies to damn near everything that goes wrong.

Yet it still exists.

I wish it didn't.  I also wish I didn't waste part of my life on it.  Furthermore, I hate the part of me that kind of misses it sometimes.  But fuck it, time to pack up and move on, it's Friday night and I've got drunker to get.

It'll all be drones soon anyways.  And these ones will be mechanical, as opposed to organic.

I don't regret playing smash up derby with armored vehicles.  Other than that, yeah.

Junkenstein

While I tend to avoid this kind of shit, this is both amusing and probably going to get interesting:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/27654571

QuoteA video has emerged showing Justin Bieber using the n-word in a racist joke.

The footage, which was obtained by The Sun, was filmed for his Never Say Never documentary in 2011.

It shows Bieber smiling, sitting on a sofa with friends when he says: "Why are black people afraid of chainsaws?".

The singer, who is now 20, then finished his joke by making the noise of the chainsaw and repeating "Run n*****" five times.

Someone who cannot be seen on camera says: "Don't even say it. Don't say it." A female voice then says: "You could say motorcycle too right?".

The newspaper claims some people around Bieber have known about the clip for some time, and have spent money keeping it out of the public.

That "someone" is in a perfect position to do a wonderful hatchet job. Hopefully they'll be inclined to do so.

There is a certain irony in the Sun claiming that people know things and have paid to keep them out of the public eye. Some would argue that this is the reason for their existence. For reference in this regard see the relationship between UK media, particularly the Murdoch press and the convicted criminal known as Max Clifford.

There's something further here about the cult of celebrity and relation to actual full on cults but I need a pint more coffee to even attempt that one.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

It's 7 years old but still worth a mention:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7095134.stm
QuoteA man caught trying to have sex with his bicycle has been sentenced to three years on probation.
Robert Stewart, 51, admitted a sexually aggravated breach of the peace by conducting himself in a disorderly manner and simulating sex.

Sheriff Colin Miller also placed Stewart on the Sex Offenders Register for three years.

Mr Stewart was caught in the act with his bicycle by cleaners in his bedroom at the Aberley House Hostel in Ayr.

Gail Davidson, prosecuting, told Ayr Sheriff Court: "They knocked on the door several times and there was no reply.

"They used a master key to unlock the door and they then observed the accused wearing only a white t-shirt, naked from the waist down.

"The accused was holding the bike and moving his hips back and forth as if to simulate sex."

Both cleaners, who were "extremely shocked", told the hostel manager who called police.

Sheriff Colin Miller told Stewart: "In almost four decades in the law I thought I had come across every perversion known to mankind, but this is a new one on me. I have never heard of a 'cycle-sexualist'."

Stewart had denied the offence, claiming it was caused by a misunderstanding after he had too much to drink.

Scotland: We don't need bath-salts, we have Buckfast.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

"Obtained by The Sun", ha!  If by "obtained" they mean "read TMZ", then sure, they obtained it.

Otherwise, the most interesting thing about this is, once again, it highlights Bieber's narcissistic sense of entitlement and disregard for others.  In many ways, Bieber owes his entire career to a bunch of very accomodating black musicians, including Usher and Will Smith.  Just what are they going to make of Bieber's casual racism?

Junkenstein

I'm guessing the "He's a kid, leave him alone" crowd will be out quick enough. I won't be taking any bets on the racial backgrounds of those who claim such things though.

What's the most interesting thing about football no-one ever asks:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27659828
Corruption of course! The game, such as it is, is terribly dull. But bribes are fun for all the family!
QuoteQatar's 2022 bid committee denies "all allegations of wrongdoing".
New York lawyer Garcia, who is due to meet Qatari officials in Oman, is already conducting a long-running inquiry into the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bids.
The Sunday Times alleges football officials took a total of  £3m in return for support of the Qatari bid.

There's other related tales regarding match-fixing (Nigeria, amazingly) and various other assorted wrong doing. I really do despise the levels of cash thrown at this hobby. With any luck a few more tales like this and there might be a move towards something that isn't a dull waste of everyone's time. Would a couple of hidden landmines on the field really be too much to ask for? Make these fuckers really earn that multi million pound paycheck.

Junkenstein

And just so I can say I called it:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27625117
This will be a steaming pile of horseshit.
QuoteDetails of the "gist" of talks between Tony Blair and George Bush before the Iraq war are to be published, the UK's Chilcot inquiry says.

But transcripts and full notes of conversations will remain secret, at the request of the Cabinet Office.

The agreement between the inquiry and Cabinet Secretary Sir Jeremy Heywood could clear the way for the report to be published this year.

It is thought to have been delayed by wrangling over what could be released.

The inquiry has been given access to full records of talks between the two leaders in the run-up to war but is being prevented by the government from publishing them in its final report, even after offering to block out sensitive parts.

The UK government's grounds for refusing the request to publish the full documents and transcripts is that it could prejudice future relations with the US.

I think it's relatively safe to assume that anything redacted can/would be used to prosecute for war crimes. By "Not prejudicing future relations" read "Let's not piss them off / Let's not look any stupider than we already do". All in all, a wonderful waste of time and money for a bucket of fucking whitewash.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Junkenstein on June 02, 2014, 08:12:36 AM
It's 7 years old but still worth a mention:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7095134.stm
QuoteA man caught trying to have sex with his bicycle has been sentenced to three years on probation.
Robert Stewart, 51, admitted a sexually aggravated breach of the peace by conducting himself in a disorderly manner and simulating sex.

Sheriff Colin Miller also placed Stewart on the Sex Offenders Register for three years.

Mr Stewart was caught in the act with his bicycle by cleaners in his bedroom at the Aberley House Hostel in Ayr.

Gail Davidson, prosecuting, told Ayr Sheriff Court: "They knocked on the door several times and there was no reply.

"They used a master key to unlock the door and they then observed the accused wearing only a white t-shirt, naked from the waist down.

"The accused was holding the bike and moving his hips back and forth as if to simulate sex."

Both cleaners, who were "extremely shocked", told the hostel manager who called police.

Sheriff Colin Miller told Stewart: "In almost four decades in the law I thought I had come across every perversion known to mankind, but this is a new one on me. I have never heard of a 'cycle-sexualist'."

Stewart had denied the offence, claiming it was caused by a misunderstanding after he had too much to drink.

Scotland: We don't need bath-salts, we have Buckfast.

I remember reading that at the time and thinking that it's an insane place where a man can get sentenced for masturbating in the privacy of his own room.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

Don't be all reasonable. Think about the badwrong MAN ON BIKE action and get suitably outraged.

Junkenstein

QuoteAn Indian man who made his name exposing the "miraculous" feats of holy men as tricks has fled the country after being accused of blasphemy. Now in self-imposed exile in Finland, he fears jail - or even assassination - if he returns.

When a Hindu fakir declared on live television that he could kill anybody with tantric chanting, Sanal Edamaruku simply had to take him up on the challenge.

As both were guests in the studio, the fakir was put to the test immediately.

The channel cancelled all subsequent programming and he began chanting on the spot. But as the hours passed a note of desperation crept into his raspy mantras. For his part, Edamaruku, president of the Indian Rationalist Association, showed no sign of discomfort, let alone death. He merely chortled his way through this unconventional (and unsuccessful) attempt on his life.

He has spent his life as a prominent member of India's small band of miracle-busters, men who dedicate their life to traversing the country demystifying certain beliefs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26815298

Junkenstein

NRA attempts to do something approaching the right thing. Toys, prams, throwing. You know the drill:
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/open-carry-texas-cut-nra-member

QuoteGun lovers in Texas are furious at the National Rifle Association right now.

In response to the NRA's statement on Friday criticizing Texas activists' recent tactics, members of the pro-gun group Open Carry Texas have been cutting up their NRA membership cards, and the group has issued a statement demanding a retraction of the NRA's "disgusting and disrespectful comments." Or else.

"The more the NRA continues to divide its members by attacking some aspects of gun rights instead of supporting all gun rights, the more support it will lose," Open Carry Texas said in a statement published Monday on its Facebook page.

In its statement last week, the NRA said that activists in Texas had recently "crossed the line from enthusiasm to downright foolishness" with their attempts to bring semi-automatic rifles into fast food restaurants. Open Carry Texas -- the most prominent group involved in the Texas demonstrations -- responded Monday by saying it was "unfortunate that an organization that claims to be dedicated to the preservation of gun rights would attack another organization fighting so hard for those rights in Texas."

Much like the freedom of speech thing, the best thing these clowns seem to able to say about their activities is they aren't actually illegal. I find it somewhat difficult to believe that gun rights are under any kind of threat in Texas so that makes the entire event somewhat silly.

QuoteOpen Carry Texas argued that the NRA's criticism was "completely unnecessary," given that Open Carry Texas and several other groups had late last month issued a statement asking their members to avoid carrying long arms into private businesses during demonstrations.

"The NRA should have instead released a statement to the effect that it applauds our groups for coming together and finding new methods to promote safe and responsible open carry," the group said.

It's rare that the NRA is looking like the sensible party. I think we may see a shift in power from the NRA to these various rights/open carry groups in a similar kind of way to how the teabaggers are fucking with the republicans. As far as I know the NRA is still one of the key lobbying groups, if this kind of shit actually impacts on them financially then no doubt they'll crank up the crazy to accommodate.

Junkenstein

"Ha Ha", then "oh, what the fuck did I just read?"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/06/02/supreme-court-chemical-weapons-treaty-affair-infidelity/4839553/

QuoteWASHINGTON — The Supreme Court ruled unanimously Monday that the federal government had no business using an international chemical weapons treaty to prosecute a jilted wife seeking revenge on her husband's lover.

In an opinion dripping with sarcasm, the justices belittled the Justice Department's contention that what they called Carol Anne Bond's "two-bit local assault" — a clumsy use of a chemical compound — could have anything in common with war crimes and international terrorism.

"The global need to prevent chemical warfare does not require the federal government to reach into the kitchen cupboard, or to treat a local assault with a chemical irritant as the deployment of a chemical weapon," Chief Justice John Roberts said.

QuoteAllowing Bond to be prosecuted under a treaty aimed at compounds such as ricin, sarin and mustard gas, Roberts said, would elevate dish detergent, stain remover and vinegar to chemical weapons status.

"Any parent would be guilty of a serious federal offense — possession of a chemical weapon — when, exasperated by the children's repeated failure to clean the goldfish tank, he considers poisoning the fish with a few drops of vinegar," he said.

To start with, any parent that considers harming a pet due to their child's behaviour probably needs a very, very close fucking look at. Secondly, that seems to be a very odd and very specific act. A paranoid person might suspect that he's done that very same thing.