News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "At least Satanists HAVE a worldview. After reading this thread, I'm convinced that discordians not only don't, but will actively mock anyone who does."

Main Menu

Interesting shit from back in the day.

Started by LMNO, March 08, 2007, 06:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Also known as BIP dumpster diving. 

ARCHITECTURE.

DJRubberducky:  From what I can tell, the exterior walls of the BIP are put in place by our existence as humans.  As it has been said before in other treatises, our perceptions are limited by the relatively narrow ranges of our physical senses, and by the fact that our brains can only process so much information at a given time.  Even when we try to expand our sensory ranges by building and using mechanical devices, it's very difficult for us to observe both those expanded ranges and our "natural" ranges - we have to focus our attention on what's under the microscope and can't necessarily notice the fire that just caught in the far corner of the laboratory.  This is why we can never fully escape the Black Iron Prison - we either don't have the sensory perception, or we don't have the mental processing power, and if we try to expand both at once, we end up frying our brains with data overload.  None can look upon the face of God and live.

However, the BIP is chock full of interior walls, and we can smash those to our heart's content because we're the ones who put them there, or who allowed them to be put there (which is almost the same thing).  Smashing those walls doesn't change the fact that we're in prison, but it gives us a little more wiggle room.

One of the troubles in wall-smashing, though, is that many of us knock down a wall, then take those bricks and use them to build a new and different wall.  I actually had that revelation back in high school, but only in a very specific sense - I was complaining about how so many guitarists wanted to sound like Jimi Hendrix because "he was so innovative".  That idea just totally boggled my mind.  They admired Hendrix for being innovative, so they were going to very diligently copy everything he had already done, and think they were somehow better for it.  Hendrix had smashed a wall, and these kids were very meticulously picking up the bricks and building a new one - but it was okay because this was a Hendrix wall and therefore cooler than the other walls out there!

On the other hand, is it bad to rebuild walls in new and different places?  If you knock down too many walls without rebuilding at least one or two somewhere else, do you risk collapsing the ceiling on yourself and going completely mad?  (If you want to argue whether or not going mad is a bad thing, let's do that elsewhere.)  And is it somehow less offensive to live with walls that you have built, since you chose to have them there and you will probably remain aware of their existence?  I tend to think it is - if a girl who grows up reaping all the benefits of gender equality who *chooses* to be a stay-at-home mom when she grows up is (in my opinion) better off than a girl who grew up never knowing that she didn't have to do that if she didn't want to.

SillyCybin:  Awareness of what you're doing is liberation. The truth will set you free. Walls are just a metaphor. You don't knock them down as much as you knock down your own preconceived notions of what power these walls have to contain you.

LHX:  You can rip down walls and use the material to help solidify your foundation.  The grass is never greener in other places, but there is some benefit to be had from viewing things from a different perspective.  Perhaps part of the trick is also to become a expert at putting them up and tearing them down, painting on them then cleaning them up.  Variety.

Nurbldoff:  Maybe the trick is to realize that breaking the walls doesn't necessarily mean you have to escape through them afterwards; the important thing is knowing that you can if you want or need to.  Of course this might lead to laziness if you just convince yourself there is no wall but never actually investigate. Then in a sense you might as well still be locked up.

Jenne:  About the "knocking down a wall just to build another with the bricks of the now-destroyed wall" thing...I think there's also a problem with people WANTING there to be walls.  They are not comfortable with the knowledge and subsequent actions of freedom.  When you've lived in a prison all your life, and you are shown said-prison, you miss the prison when you're able to remove it, even if you've worked hard to break it down.  For some people, anyway.

I mean, whatcha gonna blame everything on now you're free?  Yourself?  Nah.  You've been told over and over that it's your parents, your schooling, your president that have you under their thumbs.  When you remove those thumbs...what's next?

So you run to another thumb, because without that pressure, you're not sure what to do anymore.  Living and breathing on your own, like a newborn babe, is a scary venture, esp for the self-aware.

LMNO:  But what about this:  Order and Disorder balance, right?  The structured order of words inside the poetry of ee cummings, et al.  So, when you break down all walls, you've removed all structures you can control.  So, what do you do?  Where do you go?  You've essentially obliterated all internal aspects of reality.  In order to function in the external reality, you need to rebuild.  Only this time, you can draw up the blueprints.

Jenne:  In other words, drawing up that blueprint is rather a process, isn't it?  And it's not easily taught, because it's different for every person.  So, if you suggest to people that they tear down that security wall (remember, the prison protects you even as it protects others from you), you have to give them the CAD to draw other blueprints,Ķ Well, you do if you want your impression to last and not be discarded for just another mf.

You accuse people of being jailed (rightly so), but in showing them how to destroy said cell, you leave out the part of what to do next?  That will create as many problems as it does solutions.

LMNO

WHAT IS ANERISTIC STRIFE?  13 ANSWERS:

Faust:  Strife caused by fearing disorder? Would that not be every fear and strife ever?

SillyCybin :  I was thinking the complete opposite - rigid order leads to strife, chaos cannot be contained.

Faust:  But it can be ignored, and is by almost every living person, that,Äôs why I assumed it would be people worried about losing their bubble, people are happy when there,Äôs no negative surprises.

LHX:  It,Äôs a struggle to contain discord.  That,Äôs why some people beat their kids.

Kaou Suu:  It,Äôs an internal subconscious conflict in which the orderly (left) side of the mind is conflicting with the desire or need of use of the chaotic (right) side of the mind.

Hangero:  I read it as general disorder which comes about from the appearance of order.
Like the cracks in a vase or something.  It could be a word for entropy.  It could be a word for the conflict riddled attempts of people to maintain their Aneristic illusion.  Maybe it is strife between those caught up in the aneristic illusion, and can be seen symbolically as some sort of absurdist argument where both sides are equally as wrong and still ready to kill each other over it.

East Coast Hustle:  I think Aneristic Strife would be a condition caused by an undue imposition of order on the consensual paradigm.  And it wouldn't be a sudden flash.  More like a long slow chafing. The worst Indian burn of all time.  For how long is something like that tolerable?

Cain:  I'm with ECH.  It would be the friction between the real and perceived condition of reality.  For example, Communism.  Or any totalitarian system, which claims to have all the answers.  But in reality it would be the same as the Imposition of Order = escalation of Chaos.  You set up a view of the world as it should be and enforce it by making bits that don't think vanish (instead of considering why if something was real already it would need to be enforced).  But you can't eliminate everything that doesn't fit, sometimes you cannot even perceive it.  And eventually this builds up and up over time until some flash point makes it overturn the current paradigm.

LMNO:  Cain, the reason I started this thread was because "Aneristic Strife" sounded like a contradiction.  Since "Aneristic" is the illusion that everything is ordered, and "strife" is one of Eris' gambits, putting them together sounded like "Ordered Disorder".  Now, while the New Chart I developed does indeed handle this, it hasn't really been kicked around too much.  My interpretation of it would probably be the most kafka-esque beurocracy.  So much is ordered, that the Disorder naturally takes over, since there are too many rules to process.

What's-His-Name?:  I would think of Aneristic Strife similar to how LHX did.  Or, at least, that's what I think of is how we contain kids.  Because, kids start out "pure".  That is, they are a blank slate with no pre-conceived notions of order, disorder, right, wrong, bad, good, etc., etc., etc.  Of course, through playing with their environment, they learn things.  Hot water = ouchie hand.  Pulling kitties tail = ouchie face.  Crayons on wall = great entertainment.  But then, they start to learn other things.  It may be direct, a father and/or mother sit their kids down and say.  "Now to be a good child you must do x, y, and z.  If you ever, ever to a, b, and/or c, you are a bad child."  Perhaps x, y, and z are things like praying every night, using a napkin after EVERY bite, saying thank you all of the time, tucking in your sheets, etc.  Perhaps a, b, and c are things like boys not playing with dolls, or girls not playing with trains and rocket ships.  Things that are not "social norms", or "socially acceptable."  Then the whole farce of "society" gets introduced.  You have to be a "good member of society" if you want to get anywhere.  If you want to be happy.  If you want to be successful.  And so this is where it begins, and it doesn't stop.  It gets reinforced in school, in college, in the workplace, and on, and on, and on.  And so....you have a bunch of apathetic, over-stressed, cattle too scared to deviate from the path or line they are in for fear of the "cattle-prod" that is disorder.

LMNO:  RWHN, Let's not forget the sponge-like nature of children, in that they observe everything around them, and adopt those behaviors.  So if the parents have a "typical" (read: stereotyped) gender-based relationship, like the mother cooks and cleans, and the father takes out the garbage & watches sports, the child will "learn" these behaviors as how things are "supposed" to be. But I repeat, once a person is able to meta-think and self-criticize, these learned behaviors are no longer mandatory.

DJRubberducky:  I figure strife is strife, and whether it's eristic or aneristic depends on why you're struggling.  If the police are called in to break up a riot, strife will ensue.  For the rioters, it's eristic strife because their goal was to help bring about change.  For the police, it's aneristic strife because their goal was to maintain the status quo.  Authority's struggle to maintain its authority is probably always aneristic strife.  And that's why sticking apart is so important.  Organizations gain strength from their organization (see the roots of the word "fascism"), but then they have to put energy into maintaining that strength rather than actually going out and achieving the goal they had in mind.  The trouble with organized religion is that it became less about religion and more about the being organized.

Triple Zero:  Aneristic strife = what happens when order just doesn't work, even when you think you've pinned down ever possible case (oblivious of the fact that it is just this pinning down why it doesn,Äôt work).  It's what happens when people start fixing things in a very short-sighted way. Like whack-a-mole. Like hunting bugs or exploits in software. You,Äôve got everything strapped down so tightly that NOTHING COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG ... Aneristic strife is that gnawing feeling in the back of their head that it might just possibly (but nah it couldn't really) be the straps themselves causing the trouble.

LMNO

Hangero:

You wake up in the morning, for yourself
You drink your morning coffee, for yourself.
You half interestingly read the newspaper, for yourself.
And you kiss your wife good bye, for yourself.

On your way to work, you listen to the radio and drive in your car, for yourself,
And even if you didn,Äôt, it would only be for yourself.
Even if you all of the sudden started giving a fuck about what those dirty hippies thought,
It would only be, for yourself.
Even if you walked to work, it would be for yourself,
And even if in doing that, you gave some spare change to a homeless man,
It would be entirely for yourself.
So you wouldn,Äôt feel bad, about, yourself.

And eventually, maybe this starts to feel like a prison?  Maybe this routine starts to get under your skin, starts to make you itch, and make you scratch, but it only makes it worse, because you are still scratching for yourself.

And then maybe, you start to realize that this is a fixture of your reality. 

That the world revolves around you, unless you would be happier thinking otherwise.  But the world ALWAYS revolves around you. 

Maybe it starts to feel like a prison, with no walls, and yet not way to escape.  A prison of reality, an inescapable foolproof cell, designed to be the perfect container.  One that, if you wish to leave, it is only for yourself, and your own interests, and paradoxically in feeling that way, you lay another brick in that dark cell.

Or kill yourself?
If it suits you, fine, but it,Äôs no release.
You kill yourself, for yourself.

And wouldn,Äôt a happy ending be swell?
I,Äôm sure it would make you feel better about yourself.

LMNO

SillyCybin:

I want to ask you a question. Ever feel like you're a cog in a machine? If the answer is yes then congratulations - you've worked it out. This changes nothing. You're still a cog in a machine. Let me ask you another question. Would you like to know what the machine is? Would you like to know what it does? Would you like to know more about the machine? Read on I'll tell you all about it. After you're finished reading you'll still be a cog in the machine.

I am the machine. I made you. I put you here. I made the place you work. I made the country you live in and the people who live in it with you. I made the governments and the unions, the laws, the taxes, the religions, the wars... This is the machine and I exist for one purpose and one purpose only. My purpose is to keep you in the dark. My purpose is not to keep humanity in the dark. Just you, my favourite cog, grinding away in the pitch black hell of my almighty machinery.

Day in day out you churn and turn with all the other cogs I put there to keep you company. I produce your food and put a roof over your head. I give you dreams of utopia when you sleep at night, and nightmares fuelled by conscience to keep you turning as the sun comes around and you wake up, put on your clothes and take the trip to work, same as yesterday and the day before and the day before that. Be a good cog and I'll reward you with all manner of pretty things from widescreen color tv's to holidays in the sun to satisy your every desire and whim, Be a bad cog and I'll make your daily grind a living hell and take away the things and the people you cling to. I am the machine and this is what I do.

You may be my favourite cog but know this. Your are utterly irrelevent in my eyes. Whether you play good cog or bad cog the situation remains unchanged. You're trapped here, by me, simply because it amuses me. It amuses me to see you succeed and it amuses me to see you suffer. You may be wondering who built a machine like me. You may be surprised to learn that you did. Now, for both of our sakes, please endeavour to forget you ever read this. Ignorance is bliss.

LHX

man

looking at it in this format is fuckin swote

like hearing somebody cock the hammer back and then letting it rip
neat hell

LMNO

Cramulus

The Littlest Ubermensch

Is this on the wiki?

If not, I'll get to doing so.
[witticism/philosophical insight/nifty quote to prove my intelligence to the forum]

LISTEN TO MY SHOW THURSDAY 5-7 EST

THEN GO TO MY MYSPACE

LHX

neat hell

LHX

neat hell

The Littlest Ubermensch

http://www.poee.co.uk/bip/index.php?title=Hangero

Just put that one up. Correct me if that one wasn't actually written by LMNO.
[witticism/philosophical insight/nifty quote to prove my intelligence to the forum]

THEN GO TO MY MYSPACE

LHX

neat hell

The Littlest Ubermensch

THEN GO TO MY MYSPACE

LHX

neat hell

The Littlest Ubermensch

THEN GO TO MY MYSPACE