News:

Proud member of the Vin Diesel Friendship Brigade

Main Menu

Meme Bomb Refinement

Started by LHX, March 29, 2007, 02:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LHX

since the topic is up right now

i am proposing a motion that the meme bombs be taken a bit more (gasp) seriously

for this group - meme bombs are one of the things we specialize in
and that being said - a lot of them on the wiki are kind of shit

granted - one may resonate with a person more depending on where they are at and what is on their mind
but
the difference between a good bomb and a bad one is huge

no disrespect to any authors

just because those phrases are short does not provide excuse to blurt out the first witty paradox that comes to mind

example:

"Black sheep are still sheep" = good - witty - sharp - a twist

"Secure your future: Declare yourself Jesus while masturbating in public." = tacky - controversial but too blatant - the 'secure your future' part is a good lead in but this one seems to fall apart

these are just opinions

god only knows the amount of trash i have produced and broadcast

im just sayin tho - the meme list on BIP isnt necessarily something that looks too great given the inconsistent quality

some of it sounds like it got torn out of the pages of 'new age' literature
neat hell

LMNO

I see nothing wrong with individual users taking what they want from it and only using the ones they enjoy.  For example, I plucked the ones I liked for the "Eat the Menu" project.

LHX

good point

i withdraw the motion
neat hell

Ambassador KAOS

I liked that thing though, it was pretty fun.  Granted I thought a bunch were trite and over used, but that's only because I'd seen them before.  They were certainly funny the first time.

Even still, I managed to find a few gems, what are you proposing?  that teh article be tore up?

I'd have to say in this case it's too subjective to determine what is good and not.

I do have another opition though, and I can't do it, so you htmlers will have to pick up my slack...

Make a random meme bomb generator.

That would make the page much more friendly IMO
AKK: twice as modded as you'd believe.

phear my 1337 braynz!!!!11one!

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on March 30, 2007, 11:42:40 PM
At this point, I believe there only two things that are going to stop him.

1.  His connection going down
2.  HIMEOBS

NEWS:  Principia Discordia dot com:  Now with 90% less Ambassador KAOS!

Ambassador KAOS

oh and leave the black sheep with the pic at the top, it's a good filler and defines the topic upon viewing (meme bombs and how they work)

2.  HIMEOBS

LMNO

Actually, in contradiction to my contribution to the eat the menu project, they shouldn't really be grouped together.

It seems that they would be more effective one at a time, separated from the group.

Ambassador KAOS

the one at a time thing works, it gives the person as much time as they want to meditate on it without feeling that there is an insurmountable list that they still have to trudge through.

2.  HIMEOBS

LMNO

Yes.  Not to sound conspiratorial, but the list of memes should probably only be used as a library of sorts, and not really widely published.

That much said, I still like my contribution to the eat the menu idea.

Cramulus

When I posted all that jazz on the wiki I tried to err on the side of including too much, rather than inadvertently leaving out something cool. Somebody that has time should really do some pruning.

Now that I think of it, it might be good to include a link on the meme bomb page to the wikipedia May 1968 (or whatever it was) article

Professor Cramulus
no time at the present

AFK

Quote from: LMNO on March 29, 2007, 03:27:06 PM
Actually, in contradiction to my contribution to the eat the menu project, they shouldn't really be grouped together.

It seems that they would be more effective one at a time, separated from the group.

I agree and that's where I was sort of going with my contribution to the menu.  There were a couple on one panel, a couple on another, and then a little intro from the BIP.  And of course, I picked out memes I liked.  Though, I really like the sort of numerology puzzle withe the memes and the prices.  It seems like a convention that would lead one to actually consider the memes a bit more in a process to figure out the relationship between the price and the meaning of the meme.  So, I think in that example, the list of memes works. 

But in general, I agree.  Having 3 pages of memes probably makes them lose their punch. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Ambassador KAOS

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on March 29, 2007, 08:00:18 PM
Quote from: LMNO on March 29, 2007, 03:27:06 PM

I agree and that's where I was sort of going with my contribution to the menu.  There were a couple on one panel, a couple on another, and then a little intro from the BIP.  And of course, I picked out memes I liked.  Though, I really like the sort of numerology puzzle withe the memes and the prices.  It seems like a convention that would lead one to actually consider the memes a bit more in a process to figure out the relationship between the price and the meaning of the meme.  So, I think in that example, the list of memes works. 

But in general, I agree.  Having 3 pages of memes probably makes them lose their punch. 

this is why I recomend the random generator.  lobby lobby lobby.

2.  HIMEOBS

LHX

random generators lack style and finesse
neat hell

LMNO

Not to mention, I want to remove these from the web and put into REAL LIFE.  I want to put them in places where people wouldn't expect them.  I don't want to stick them into some dark corner of the Web, waiting for someone to click.

A well placed meme bomb can reach hundreds of people during rush hour.  You can't say the same thing about a random generator on a website.

Ambassador KAOS

true but having it there also would be good, why make less resources?

On the note of putting them out in real life I was considering putting:

"America brought liberty to my country and all I got was tortured" on a t-shirt.

Whoever wrote that gets 5 points.

2.  HIMEOBS

AFK

I don't know.  I think t-shirts and bumper stickers are becoming old-hat.  The Mooninite campaign was going in the right direction though probably could have been executed better. 

I don't think people really read t-shirts and bumper stickers like they used to.  Nowadays people who put bumper stickers on their cars usually put 20 or 30.  And the t-shirts, with Hot Topic and other chains, that tactic has really become saturated. 

I think innovation is the key.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.