News:

Nothing gets wasted around here

Main Menu

Yet another effort, gentleman, if we are to become Discordians!

Started by Cain, May 09, 2007, 12:54:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

cyberus

REJACK:

A good question in considering this idea is; What happens should we choose to shift in our methods?  How many people will turn away from what discordianism would become, because it's no longer their flavor?

Half of me wants to say Well, fuck them, then.  If they can't hang, let them find something else.  However, if we assume this mentality, how long until it takes a shift I don't like, or you don't like?  How long until we have a plethora of discordian sects, and a crippling amount of in-fighting?

I suppose you could argue that this is already the case, there are the Loveshades, the Mahadjiqkal Erisians, the Myspacers, us PD.com freaks, subgenii, etc.  In my opinion, these groups are still working towards a shared goal, waking up cabbages, and having fun doing it.  The last thing we need is to end up cancelling each other out.

Stick apart but work together.
The bun-sellers or cake-makers were in nothing inclinable to their request; but,which was worse,did injure them most outrageously,called them prattling gabblers,lickorous gluttons,freckled bittors,mangy rascals,shite-a-bed scoundrels,drunken roysters,sly knaves,drowsy loiterers,slapsauce fellows,slabberdegullion druggels,lubberly louts,cozening foxes,ruffian rogues,paltry customers,sycophant-varlets,drawlatch hoydens,flouting milksops,jeering companions,staring clowns,forlorn snakes,ninny lobcocks,scurvy sneaksbies,fondling fops,base loons,saucy coxcombs,idle lusks,scoffing braggarts,noddy meacocks,blockish grutnols,doddipol-joltheads,jobbernol goosecaps,foolish loggerheads,flutch calf-lollies,grouthead gnat-snappers,lob-dotterels,gaping changelings,codshead loobies,woodcock slangams,ninny-hammer flycatchers,noddypeak simpletons,turdy gut,shitten shepherds,and other suchlike defamatory epithets; saying further,that it was not for them to eat of these dainty cakes...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: cyberus on May 11, 2007, 05:13:01 AM
REJACK:

A good question in considering this idea is; What happens should we choose to shift in our methods?  How many people will turn away from what discordianism would become, because it's no longer their flavor?

Half of me wants to say Well, fuck them, then.  If they can't hang, let them find something else.  However, if we assume this mentality, how long until it takes a shift I don't like, or you don't like?  How long until we have a plethora of discordian sects, and a crippling amount of in-fighting?

I suppose you could argue that this is already the case, there are the Loveshades, the Mahadjiqkal Erisians, the Myspacers, us PD.com freaks, subgenii, etc.  In my opinion, these groups are still working towards a shared goal, waking up cabbages, and having fun doing it.  The last thing we need is to end up cancelling each other out.

We need to get the Pastafarians and Last Thursdayists on board, and then go "freep" the hell out of MSNBC's comments sections, en masse.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Jasper

I think what the original dudes were thinking with the anti-institutionalist approach of "stick apart", was that a decentralized approach is less fragile to centralized controls, which was a main concern of early Discordians.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Felix on May 11, 2007, 05:20:02 AM
I think what the original dudes were thinking with the anti-institutionalist approach of "stick apart", was that a decentralized approach is less fragile to centralized controls, which was a main concern of early Discordians.

Yep.  Back in the bad old days, the mods and their pals used to fuck people over, and then claim that they were just "sticking apart".

Never mind that "sticking apart" was a warning to avoid exactly what they were doing.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

tyrannosaurus vex

a decentralized network is always better, not just for early Discordians.  and institutions still suck, probably more now than they did in the 60s.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Dr. Cow Ass

Quote from: cyberus on May 11, 2007, 05:13:01 AM
REJACK:

Better...Stick apart but fight together.

Together meaning in unison against a group as well as against each other.
I bring the Spicy.

Jasper

If anything we should do more to endeavor that none of us can be linked together by an institution.

cyberus

Quote from: Felix on May 11, 2007, 05:35:18 AM
If anything we should do more to endeavor that none of us can be linked together by an institution.

Nonlocal quantum telepathy ftw!
The bun-sellers or cake-makers were in nothing inclinable to their request; but,which was worse,did injure them most outrageously,called them prattling gabblers,lickorous gluttons,freckled bittors,mangy rascals,shite-a-bed scoundrels,drunken roysters,sly knaves,drowsy loiterers,slapsauce fellows,slabberdegullion druggels,lubberly louts,cozening foxes,ruffian rogues,paltry customers,sycophant-varlets,drawlatch hoydens,flouting milksops,jeering companions,staring clowns,forlorn snakes,ninny lobcocks,scurvy sneaksbies,fondling fops,base loons,saucy coxcombs,idle lusks,scoffing braggarts,noddy meacocks,blockish grutnols,doddipol-joltheads,jobbernol goosecaps,foolish loggerheads,flutch calf-lollies,grouthead gnat-snappers,lob-dotterels,gaping changelings,codshead loobies,woodcock slangams,ninny-hammer flycatchers,noddypeak simpletons,turdy gut,shitten shepherds,and other suchlike defamatory epithets; saying further,that it was not for them to eat of these dainty cakes...

Dr. Cow Ass

I personally think the best method of organizing without organizing was mentioned in PD and referenced too in RAW's ILL Trilogy. The idea of individual groups(Cabals) composed of discordians who are in a group to accomplish the same discordian goal. Each group has a different goal, some just fucking outlandish, but every effort/action is related in that it is for the discordian cause(Whatever the fuck that is.)

The method is similar to one of the most ingenious civilizations in history, the ancient Greeks. You see the ancient Greeks never had a centralized government, or any soul authority of any kind. They lived in their own city-states known as the "Polis." Athens was a place no bigger than todays medium-sized cities, but its incredibly small population is responsible for some of the greatest works and techniques in art, architecture, theater, and especially government. The Athenians had an open discussion forum that was directed by a chairperson who was rotated every time. Decisions would be made by a vote or obvious knowing support for one law or another. The open forum was fuel for ingenious creativity and exchange of ideas, some of the best in history.

The Spartans were different, more disciplined and more bureaucratic. However, they did develop methods of war and espionage that are still taught and respected by Generals today. They were Greeks, but they had their own flare that was far different then that of the Athenians and many other polis's. The scattered and divided Greek "Nation" was a pinnacle in human thought and philosophy.

They were successful because they kept the city sates small and manageable to prevent the bullshit that's created out of population control. Obviously the attitudes and beliefs of modern day discordians are going to be far different than those of the ancient Greeks, but if we use the same method of individual outlets for creativity and operation while at the same time fighting and teaching eachother together, we just may well free the world, or save the whales, or find jimmy hoffa, or something.

I bring the Spicy.

Dr. Cow Ass

I bring the Spicy.

The Good Reverend Roger

PLEDGE.

Cain

Quote from: vexati0n on May 11, 2007, 05:28:26 AM
a decentralized network is always better, not just for early Discordians.  and institutions still suck, probably more now than they did in the 60s.

Troof.  We really need to pick up on the 4GW style thinking more.  I know I push it hard, but like Roger said, if we can get the last Thursdayists and Pastafarians on board, we'll be working much closer to that sort of goal.

Expressed thusly:

1. They're numerical superiority
2. Our theoretical operational ability
3. Plausible promise
4. Mass swarming attacks against Greyfaced minions
5. ???????????
6. PROFIT!

Jasper

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 11, 2007, 06:41:40 AM

PLEDGE.

I was writing that before he posted.