Main Menu

Found this:

Started by Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.), June 02, 2007, 08:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

Synaptyclypse Generator Publishing Sect, POEE International Resource Center

Darth Cupcake

Nice. That is full of correct!
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LHX

this evidence is contradictory to the ideas that i have been taught

i will be ignoring this
neat hell

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Jenne

Cain

Seen it on Stumble.  At what point does funding from interest groups that force you to change your conclusion or lose your lab come in?

LMNO

Ha!  We need to develop a "realist" flowchart.

Someone fire up the Gliffy!

Cramulus

I've added this to the BIP wiki's Open Source Map Project page.

http://www.poee.co.uk/bip/index.php?title=Open_Source_Map_Project

my one critique would be that ultimately this map is holding up one Belief System (science) as better than another (religion).

Do you think it would be possible to draw the same map from the opposite angle?

Cain

Actually, there is no problem, so long as religion does not try to make factual claims or explain natural phenomenon.

If we are looking at it from that angle (and we are, because its hypothesis formation), then we have to side with science.

its all in the context.

Cramulus

Quote from: Cain on June 12, 2007, 04:02:16 PM
Actually, there is no problem, so long as religion does not try to make factual claims or explain natural phenomenon.

If we are looking at it from that angle (and we are, because its hypothesis formation), then we have to side with science.

its all in the context.

But the diagram doesn't specify that this process applies to factual claims, just "ideas" - whatever that means.

Cain

No, but its pretty implicit.  The link between both is ideas and facts.  The problem with faith is its literal insistence on its stories being factual.  No one objects to the beliefs in themselves, just being told they are true.

Adios

Discord

It makes science look sooo much superior, i miss a lin that says its about  proving facts.
While its implicit, as cain said, many dumbasses will still not recognize it.

Also think about all the scientist that made revolutionary annoncements and later on were uncovered to be complete fake and failure.

Cain

True. 

But you don't get many scientists still insisting that Cold Fusion works, or that the Universe is comprised of ether.