News:

Testimonial: "PD is the home of Pure Evil and All That Is Wrong With the Interwebz." - Queen of the Ryche, apparently in all seriousness

Main Menu

Hello, I am a Christian Discordian

Started by imposter, June 07, 2007, 08:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

Quote from: Wigwam Jones on August 03, 2007, 01:35:40 AM
Very few gears are aware of their place in the machine, in my experience.
The hatelove of TGRR be on you.
Synaptyclypse Generator Publishing Sect, POEE International Resource Center

Cain

I never had a problem with Christianity per se, despite reading Nietzsche.  If you read Kaufmann's notes to his translation of Thus Spake Zarathustra, you can see he has actually incoporated many elements of Christian thought into an entirely new framework.  It just so happens much of this was and continues to be ignored by modern Christianity and is more prevalent in the mystical and gnostic interpretations.

I went to a CoE primary school, where they pressed us fairly hard to believe in Christianity, unless we were definitely of another faith already (yeah, I know, at primary school no less).  Hour of prayers and hymns every day, church once a week etc.  Even that didn't bother me too much, though I am pretty opposed to religious indoctrination so early on in a child's life.

The main thing that bothers me is that there are rougly 2 billion Christians on the planet, IIRC.  Either way, it holds the pluarlity of believers and is only rivalled by Islam, at roughly 1 billion adherents.  That it is the major religious belief of people on the planet is a problem, especially when it means they will act slavishly around evil leaders who make an act of being pious (not all do.  I am quite fond of Liberation Theology, for example.  But it is usually the exception, not the rule).

If Islam tomorrow were to become the main religious belief of the planet, chances are it would be maligned in the same way.  Same for Hinduism, Judaism, Buddhism or Discordianism.  The damage that would be wrought in the name of the top religion would provoke a backlash, probably in the name of one of the lesser ones.  IOW, business as usual on Terran.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cain on August 04, 2007, 02:12:26 PM
I never had a problem with Christianity per se, despite reading Nietzsche.  If you read Kaufmann's notes to his translation of Thus Spake Zarathustra, you can see he has actually incoporated many elements of Christian thought into an entirely new framework.  It just so happens much of this was and continues to be ignored by modern Christianity and is more prevalent in the mystical and gnostic interpretations.

I went to a CoE primary school, where they pressed us fairly hard to believe in Christianity, unless we were definitely of another faith already (yeah, I know, at primary school no less).  Hour of prayers and hymns every day, church once a week etc.  Even that didn't bother me too much, though I am pretty opposed to religious indoctrination so early on in a child's life.

The main thing that bothers me is that there are rougly 2 billion Christians on the planet, IIRC.  Either way, it holds the pluarlity of believers and is only rivalled by Islam, at roughly 1 billion adherents.  That it is the major religious belief of people on the planet is a problem, especially when it means they will act slavishly around evil leaders who make an act of being pious (not all do.  I am quite fond of Liberation Theology, for example.  But it is usually the exception, not the rule).

If Islam tomorrow were to become the main religious belief of the planet, chances are it would be maligned in the same way.  Same for Hinduism, Judaism, Buddhism or Discordianism.  The damage that would be wrought in the name of the top religion would provoke a backlash, probably in the name of one of the lesser ones.  IOW, business as usual on Terran.

:mittens:

For The Win.

I personally don't like the metaphors associated with Dying God religions, but that's just my tastes ;-)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

I Am Not A Rhombus

Quote from: PopeTom on June 07, 2007, 08:34:27 AM
Most major world religions are tequila, Discorianism is like beer.

Basically Discordianism is the religion you drink from once you have had your fill of the major religions of the world.

So Atheists are Tee Totalers; and Agnostics are so thoroughly pissed they can't tell whether there's a drink in front of them or not?

LMNO

Not really.  Richard Dawkins is a raging alcoholic in the above metaphor.

I Am Not A Rhombus

But religions are the alcohol; so surely Atheists have also "had their fill" and then, unlike Discordians who have still have "something" after a sense, abstain completely? It seems to fit to me.

Triple Zero

LMNOs point was that atheists are also religious.

or at least alcoholic.

or something.

especially the ones that are "fervently" atheist.

as for agnosts .. i dunno. let's say they drink to forget?

actually i don't really like the metaphore, but oh well :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

A definitive and unshaking beleif that there is no God is just as religous as a definitive and unshaking belief that there is a God.

I Am Not A Rhombus

Quote from: LMNO on October 09, 2007, 06:04:30 PM
A definitive and unshaking beleif that there is no God is just as religous as a definitive and unshaking belief that there is a God.

In some ways yes, in the way they go about it.

Though of course probabilistically speaking, it's somewhat more valid. Doesn't give people an excuse to be full of it, though.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: I Am Not A Rhombus on October 09, 2007, 06:10:20 PM

Though of course probabilistically speaking, it's somewhat more valid. Doesn't give people an excuse to be full of it, though.

a definitive and unshaking belief is just as religious as a definitive and unshaking non-belief.

yeah, i agree, no excuse to be full of it.

AFK

I have a valid and unshaking belief in Bacon.  Hovering Bacon!
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

Quote from: I Am Not A Rhombus on October 09, 2007, 06:10:20 PM

Well, Rho, how would you define what "religion" is?

LadyWinter

Quote from: PopeTom on June 07, 2007, 08:34:27 AM
Most major world religions are tequila, Discorianism is like beer.

Basically Discordianism is the religion you drink from once you have had your fill of the major religions of the world.

Which religion would be most like Jack Daniels?

Winter
Thirsty.

Payne

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I think I would favor "dogmatic" over religious in that statement.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson