News:

PD.com: "I'M MADDER THAN FISH GREASE!"

Main Menu

Suu's Thread-Jack

Started by Suu, August 27, 2007, 05:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Quote from: Suu! on May 02, 2008, 07:45:25 PM
The trick is to figure out a mechanism of sorts to work out having two LEDs, and I know very little about electronics, unfortunately.

because if light would work the same way as pigment, it would have fit and would have required less knowledge about electronics? .. ?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Suu

You can't just have loose LEDs in there, unfortunately. I posted a pic earlier in the thread of the type we use. And then of course, the casing is only SO big.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Triple Zero

so what's that got to do with pigment?
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Suu

It doesn't, it has to do with light emitting diodes.

What I'm saying is that you can't fit 2 LEDs into the casing, and when you do, a red light and a blue light together don't really work well into making purple. One half of the blade will be red, the other will be blue, and it will be kinda muddied purple in the middle.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Triple Zero

Quote from: Suu! on May 02, 2008, 11:45:55 PM
It doesn't, it has to do with light emitting diodes.

What I'm saying is that you can't fit 2 LEDs into the casing, and when you do, a red light and a blue light together don't really work well into making purple. One half of the blade will be red, the other will be blue, and it will be kinda muddied purple in the middle.

look, i believe you when you say that you can't fit 2 LEDs into the casing.

but if you mix blue light and red light, which is additive, which is different from a filter that which works subtractive, it's not going to be "muddied" purple, but purple with the combined brightness of the red and the blue light. because light doesn't cancel out other light (especially not if it's different frequencies).

true, this is not going to get you a purple lightsaber, but it's not because you can't mix any kind of colour using LEDs.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Welllllllll

Speaking as a mother

Mixing light doesn't work the same, at all, as mixing paint

And sometimes the results fucking suck. Unless you're using specific filters, you can't just expect blue and red to make magenta or purple, because you don't know what KIND of blue and what KIND of red. Also, like Suu said, sticking two differently-colored LED's into a device won't give you a device that is a blend of those two colors, it will give you a device that displays both colors. It might look cool, or it might look lame.

Don't even get me started with mixing glass, which combines the theories for mixing pigments, mixing light, and mixing reactive mineral colorants...
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Sir Squid Diddimus

strangeness:

mr squid has a red light and a blue light right next to each other (yeah, they're led's)on his modular synth
we stuck a bottle of alcohol in front of it. you know, the clear but frosted looking plastic bottles, and the bottle lit up purple.

this may work for your light tube, and hell i think we have all the parts layin around here, it's always worth a try.
whats the diameter and length of this handle?

and we can always put a purple one together for shits and giggles too. like i said it's worth a shot.
<--likes a challenge

Triple Zero

Quote from: Nigel on May 03, 2008, 06:19:20 AMAnd sometimes the results fucking suck. Unless you're using specific filters, you can't just expect blue and red to make magenta or purple, because you don't know what KIND of blue and what KIND of red.

if you're using filters, yes, this matters. because you're subtracting the filter spectrum from the source spectrum. i dont have experience using colour filters but i know you can mess up the colours with that and create strange effects.

but if you put two different coloured LEDs next to eachother, close enough, possibly with a little diffuse casing around it, their spectrums will add up, and in the case of blue and red LEDs, this will result in purple or pink. depending on the kind of blue and red, you'll get different kinds of purple or pink, but it'll have the brightness and clarity of both LEDs combined. as opposed to stacking filters.

Suu

I'll look into the diffuse casing, in the meantime...

The only pic I have so far. Daddy and daughter...Like Billy Ray and Miley but not really.  :|

Suu

Here's a finished shot of my lightsaber:

And as of today, the last book was in fact spoiled for me.  :x I hate being a nerd.

Triple Zero

Sir Squid Diddimus

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Darth Cupcake

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

hooplala

Quote from: Nigel on May 03, 2008, 06:19:20 AM
Welllllllll

Speaking as a mother

Mixing light doesn't work the same, at all, as mixing paint

And sometimes the results fucking suck. Unless you're using specific filters, you can't just expect blue and red to make magenta or purple, because you don't know what KIND of blue and what KIND of red. Also, like Suu said, sticking two differently-colored LED's into a device won't give you a device that is a blend of those two colors, it will give you a device that displays both colors. It might look cool, or it might look lame.

Don't even get me started with mixing glass, which combines the theories for mixing pigments, mixing light, and mixing reactive mineral colorants...

I had an interesting talk with a teacher back when I worked in an art store.  He had come in to get Red, Blue and Green paint, and was planning to show his class how they made white when mixed together.

We had a big argument with me telling him it wouldn't work, and him insisting it would, and he should know because he's a teacher, blah blah blah... eventually we cracked them open and I "taught" him how mixing paints works.

AND HE'S FUCKING TEACHING OUR CHILDREN!!!
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman