News:

Testimonial: "This board is everything that's fucking wrong with the internet"

Main Menu

Suu's Thread-Jack

Started by Suu, August 27, 2007, 05:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That dress is absolutely stunning!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

tyrannosaurus vex

RE: military uniform. No wool?
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Suu

Quote from: vexati0n on October 02, 2008, 06:34:33 PM
RE: military uniform. No wool?

No wool. It would have added about $100 to the price and not suitable for summer wear like he needed it to be.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Jenne

Lovely wedding dress work--NOT easy, I watched my mom do it for my cousin (about the same size, I'd say, either a 16 or 18) when she was pregnant--shotgun wedding, the only way to fly in our family!

Anyway, LOVE that lace, but damn, between that and the satin, I feel your pain!  Bitches to work with, sersly.

tyrannosaurus vex

How much would you charge to make me a kickass trenchcoat out of heavy canvas?
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Suu

Suu presents: 13th century dress in a day, starring Leln!

12:30pm - Fabric Shopping
2:00pm - Cut underdress
3:00pm - Suu sews underdress while Leln and Richter cut dress
5:00pm - Suu starts on already cut dress pieces
6:30pm - Richter feeds us chicken teriyaki
9:30pm - Full completion

We need to pull up the underdress a bit more as you can see, other than that she's ready to go for next Saturday.

...I still don't know what I'm wearing.  :| My Byzantine is airing out, but I'm still going to try to make myself something Turkish this week.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Darth Cupcake

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Suu

Thanks! The color of the dress was fucking with our heads.  :x

It's actually a really dark green, but in some light it was black and completely dazzling us while we were marking the pattern lines.

Jenne

Wow, speedy!  And lovely, as well!

Suu

So I've decided to try to make a kilt.

:x

The Dark Monk

I thought this is all there is,
but now I know you are so much more.
I want to upgrade from my simple eight bits,
but will you still love me when I'm sixty-four?
~MIAB~

Suu

Kilts are NOT easy, so I'm in the market for an accurate pattern and I'm going to get some cheap plaid from Wal-Mart or something for my first one. If it comes out good, I'm going to invest in my clan tartan from Scotland and go for it.

The 501st has a Kilted Trooper Brigade, most people buy their kilt from our supplier (We have our own tartan too!) but they're cool with us making or purchasing our own in different tartans.

Payne

http://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/Womens_Clothing/earasaid.html
http://www.potomacleather.com/Lassies-Wedding_Arasaid.htm
http://www.just2tailors.com/?category=Highlander_Clothing.Women~s.Arrasidh(Arasaid

^Traditional "Womens Kilt"(s), a variant of the mans Phila Mhor, which is much sexay, and far better than the Phila Bheg, the kilt that everyone thinks of as the real kilt (it's not).

A few different looks, too, so really it's whatever works for you, I think.

A woman shouldn't wear a Phila Bheg, as such, because the weight and depth of the pleats are very unflattering to a womans hips, a much lighter tartan skirt is much better.

The style of tartan you choose is not so important (ancient/dress etc), but normally, women would wear a much brighter tartan than the men, which equates to the modern dress tartan, but there are no hard and fast rules about this.

Normally, too, a woman would wear the same tartan as her husband. In these enlightened days, that's not even a rule anymore.

Dunno about any patterns for any of these things, it's really not my area of expertise, but hopefully it'll give you a clearer idea of what to look for.

Payne

http://www.tartanweb.com/tartanfinder.html

^for a bit of fun for anyone else, this will give you all registered tartans if you've traced you genealogy back.

http://www.scotweb.co.uk/newsite/tartan?id=N5MBAYDW

^more user friendly

The Dark Monk

Ah, the Celts and the Woads.
Pillaging and raping our way through Europe.
I thought this is all there is,
but now I know you are so much more.
I want to upgrade from my simple eight bits,
but will you still love me when I'm sixty-four?
~MIAB~