News:

PD.com: children are filled with joy, adults are filled with dread and local government is filled with stupid

Main Menu

I feel like an asshole...

Started by East Coast Hustle, September 11, 2007, 03:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

for not having discovered Neil Gaiman before.

American Gods is a fucking stellar book.

ECH,
has not finished it, so no spoilers please
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

Johhny dies at the end.

And yes, you are an asshole.

Actually, this reminds me of when I finally read Pratchett, only a month or so ago.

Suu

After American Gods, a whole new world awaits! *has Neverwhere on deck*
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

Actually, I wonder...

ECH, what parts of American Gods is resonating with you?

I think you might like Anansi Boys, but I'm not sure...

East Coast Hustle

TBH, I haven't really gotten far enough into the story to give a good answer to that. It's his style of storytelling that really grabs me. I really like how he forces you to visualize the settings, almost as if it were a graphic novel without pictures.

also, the whole "wandering the american wasteland as a permanent interloper" vibe really grabs me. reminds me of the years I spent bumming around the country keeping Greyhound in business.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cain

Both you and LMNO should read Good Omens, which is co-written by Gaiman and Pratchett.  It's a bit British in places, but does not detract from the overall story too much.

Cramulus

American Gods is such a great read. One of my favorite novels.

I'm not as big a fan of Neil Gaimain's stuff which is aimed at children, but his more adult stuff is really deeply enjoyable.

If you're digging American Gods, I wager you'd dig Sandman. It's a weighty collection to pick up, but do check out books IV (A Season of Mists) and IX (The Kindly Ones) - Neil Gaiman IMHO is the Shakespeare of the graphic novel format. Those books have some really awesome stories, characters, and art.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

American Gods, Neverwhere, Good Omens, Stardust, Anansi Boys, ALL OF SANDMAN!!!

That should be a good start ;-)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Darth Cupcake

I have to pick up Stardust. I absolutely freakin' loved the movie and read some of the graphic novel a while back, so I'd like to read the actual novel.

I still haven't finished Good Omens because it's one of those things I pick up and read on lunch breaks without actually buying. I ought to actually buy it, because I always end up sitting on the floor of Barnes and Noble giggling obnoxiously because it's so good.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Cain

I may or may not have several Gaiman e-books (dont worry, I bought the real things long before).

PMing me will not force me to reveal details as to their whereabouts.

Suu

Sandman is definitely worth it, especially if you get the ones illustrated by Yoshitaka Amano.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Triple Zero

American Gods is probably the best book i've read recently.

a great read.

you're gonna enjoy it until the end, i'm sure.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

Cain: Read Good Omens.  Great stuff.

ECH, if it's his writing style you dig, and don't mind his excursions into tales of fairies and Gods, then anything he's ever written will please you.

Actually, I think you'd have fun with his Coraline and The wolves in the walls, too (kids' books, nominally).

East Coast Hustle

I've got nothing against tales of faeries and gods, provided they're not being told by someone who actually believes what they're saying.

LMNO

In that case, I highly recommend his entire bibliograhy, including (maybe even especially) his graphic novels.