News:

Your innocence proves nothing.

Main Menu

An interview with you

Started by Peterson Silva, September 16, 2007, 02:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I first found Discordianism through a Discordian Double Agent also known as the Girl that I had just begun to date in 2001 (right after 9/11 in fact). The Principia was simply left laying about and I picked it up one day, read it from cover to cover and converted. I had been conservative Christian for most of my life and found it unappealing once I awoke to the silliness of the beliefs. I tried Paganism and found their stuff equally silly and lame. I decided to try out Atheism and accepted (for the first time) the concept of Evolution... but the more I studied, the more it appeared that people just kept filling in "unknown" with a buzzword in each system.

So I suppose I was ripe for a system that simply accepted how little we know or can know. Then my girlfriends father introduced me to RAW's writings and the rest is history.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Triple Zero

Quote from: Rev. Peterson Cekemp on September 16, 2007, 07:56:47 PM
Great =D
Who's the older (not in age, but in discordianism) in this forum?

what do you mean?

we don't really have a "big example" or leader/elder everybody looks up to, we feel that would be kind of contrary to the idea of discordianism.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: triple zero on September 16, 2007, 08:09:07 PM
Great =D

what do you mean?

we don't really have a "big example" or leader/elder everybody looks up to, we feel that would be kind of contrary to the idea of discordianism.

Indeed! There are people alive who have been actively Discordian for 30+ years... yet they don't think they are our leaders or sages. Even RAW used to give a "Zen Hotfoot" to anyone that tried to look up to him as some great and wise man.

Discord exists in the now, the moment, the penultimate unit of plank time and thus each of us are all and always newbies in some sense. Every experience changes our existence, every choice redefines who we are and thus The Discordian that has read this post (or any post) is New Born by the end.

May you have the Knowledge of a Sage and the Wisdom of a Child - PD
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Peterson Silva

I wasn't looking for a leader =)

just curiosity ;)
babble babble bitch bitch rebel rebel party party sex sex sex and don't forget the violence blah blah blah get you lovey-dovey sad and lonely stick your stupid slogan in and everybody sing along

Cain

Been calling myself a Discordian for about 4 years now.  I found a really bad HTML copy of the Principia on the Temple of the Screaming Electron site while researching horrible things to do with epoxy resin and relatively large amounts of sodium.  I liked not believing what I read, did some more thinking and reading later on when I got the chance, and joined this place in the Fall of 2004.

AFK

Great =D

That's a tough one to answer.  I tend to think that those who end up being "Discordian" kind of always were.  It seems like the sort of thing where you are probably pre-disposed to thinking a sort of way, and so when you pick up the book it's kind of like, "oh so that's what this is called." 

Of course then you have the whole conundrum of what is Discordianism?  One's person Discordianism is going to look different from another's.  Indeed, we all here are pretty different from each other.  We all have different levels of expertise in different areas.  It really is a melting pot of Discordians.  I think the one common thread is that this group of Discordians tends to shy away from the over-used cliche's.  We want to move beyond the PD and the Discordianism of the 60s. 

Yeah, so I don't know if I answered that question or just made it more muddled. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

hunter s.durden

I'll offer an opposing viewpoint...

Fuck you!
This space for rent.

tyrannosaurus vex

when: apparently it was at least 5 years ago. i was still a "Satanist" at the time, because my parents were Baptists. Anyway, if you have ever been acquainted with Satanism, especially web-based satanism, it's like a big pagan community where nobody hides the fact that they're a dick.  Also, drama.  Anyway, it all got a little stale and I found a Discordian channel on IRC somewhere, which was full of the LOL23 flavor Discordians.  It was shallow, but it was fun.  And it isn't like any other religion is actually useful when it gets "deep." So I hung out until the guy overdosed on DXM and almost killed himself, then I left.

Eventually I completely dropped the Satanism thing (except when my parents come to visit I still make sure the Satanic Bible and other assorted "Evil" books are easy to spot on the bookshelf), and about 18 months (?) ago I found this joint, which was cool so I stayed.

This is all horseshit.  The only reason I'm a Discordian is because TGRR's mind-control ray says I have to be.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Cain

I looked into Satanism, briefly.  But it was pretty obvious a lot of it is purely a money making venture, and I really didn't like the idea of being connected, however tangentially, with groups like the Order of Nine Angels (whose name was making the rounds at that time).  PLus, if I actually had any money, the CotSG was going to get it before the CoS or ToS.

hunter s.durden

It's a huge rip-off if you ask me.

200 dollars to worship myself?
This space for rent.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Cain on September 17, 2007, 02:10:17 PM
I looked into Satanism, briefly.  But it was pretty obvious a lot of it is purely a money making venture, and I really didn't like the idea of being connected, however tangentially, with groups like the Order of Nine Angels (whose name was making the rounds at that time).  PLus, if I actually had any money, the CotSG was going to get it before the CoS or ToS.
I never paid anyone for the privelege, but I did find one outfit that gave me a certificate saying I was a bona-fide Satanic Priest.  By the way, I think I still have that in a box somewhere and it doesn't have an expiration date.  So technically I can still totally screw with you for talking shit about the order of nine angels.

cause human sacrifice kicks ass, and eris agrees.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Cain

Quote from: vexati0n on September 17, 2007, 02:21:18 PM
Quote from: Cain on September 17, 2007, 02:10:17 PM
I never paid anyone for the privelege, but I did find one outfit that gave me a certificate saying I was a bona-fide Satanic Priest.  By the way, I think I still have that in a box somewhere and it doesn't have an expiration date.  So technically I can still totally screw with you for talking shit about the order of nine angels.

cause human sacrifice kicks ass, and eris agrees.

TBH, I'm more worried about what the ONA would do to me, should they ever give a shit about my thoughts on them.  They're pretty well hooked up with C18, last I heard.

That One Guy

When: Fall of 1994. I had just run across a copy of the Schroedinger's Cat trilogy (which I still think is the best example of how to actually describe the parallel-universe theory without long, complicated mathematics) the year before, and then followed that with Illuminatus! and in December of 1994 I managed to get my hands on a copy of the PD, and something just clicked. Reading the weirdness, comedy and tragedy, and absurdity in those pages seemed to tie together a lot of things I'd been figuring out on my own for the past half-dozen years at that point.

Over the years since I stumbled on the PD, I've kept examining things, kept questioning everything I've run across no matter what or where it is, and kept my eyes open. Since I was raised Unitarian Universalist, I never really had a concrete religious framework imprinted at childhood - just a "treat others with respect and kindness while you figure shit out on your own" style of philosophy/theology. When I ran across the PD, I just absorbed it into the larger theological/philosophical framework I already had accumulated. To this day, I'm still adding and subtracting things as they seem to fit - or no longer feel like they apply.

It's all just random shit I've pulled together, a lot of which I've taken from the PD, and a lot of which I've taken from a lot of other places. Since Discordianism is just as much what you yourself make of it (just as Unitarian Universalism is, really) I tend to call myself Discordian when attempting to explain things to people.
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Arguing with a Unitarian Universalist is like mud wrestling a pig. Pretty soon you realize the pig likes it.

Peterson Silva

Here in Brazil I know a lot of discordians in Rio and I read a lot about a discordian movement in Curitiba. Unfortunatelly, I live in Florianopolis, at south.

Thing is: Do you have a notion about how big is discordianism in US/UK/outer space?
and the followup question: what are you trying to do now and what did you do to spread discordianism around? Have you ever did something biiig or nearly big, or just ninja tactics, breaking prisons one by one?
babble babble bitch bitch rebel rebel party party sex sex sex and don't forget the violence blah blah blah get you lovey-dovey sad and lonely stick your stupid slogan in and everybody sing along

hooplala

I read Schrodinger's Cat about ten years ago, then about four years ago a god friend bought me the Illuminatus Trilogy for my birthday - afterwhich, I went batshit crazy.

I spent about half a year as one of "those discordians", then smartened up . . . went through the bitter period, somehow escaped that, then felt sort of holy for a while, but afterward noticed I had BO like everyone else.  I started a small respectable cult, then tricked all the followers into going to Turkey with me, and left them there.  I believe they are still digging for a temple of Eris there . . . I should get someone to check up on them . . . also, I spend time in downtown Toronto as both a Zen Buddhist, and a Scientologist.  I wear an ascot like L Ron Hubbard, and people admire me.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman