News:

Testimonial - Well it seems that most of you "discordians" are little more than dupes of the Cathedral/NWO memetic apparatus after all -- "freethinkers" in the sense that you are willing to think slightly outside the designated boxes of correct thought, but not free in the sense that you reject the existence of the boxes and seek their destruction.

Main Menu

the basic laws of human stupidity

Started by Triple Zero, September 20, 2007, 08:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

an important read for everybody, a combination of game theory and horrible troof:

http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~leeey/stupidity/basic.htm

(i wasn't sure which subforum this would be particularly fitted to, but i didn't want it to become swamped in the random links thread either)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

AFK

an interesting read, thanks for the link.  I need to read this more before any further commentary. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

BumWurst

"against stupidity the very Gods fight in vain."  :lulz:
"He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it."

phaedrusthemad

rong

"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Golden Applesauce

Good article, thanks for posting this.

Although, I'm curious how he experimentally determined the amounts of stupid in the blue-collar workers, white-collar workers, students, and professors.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Iason Ouabache

Incredible find, 000.  I would say that it is very pessimistic, but humanity has let me down one too many times.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Reginald Ret

how can we reduce the power of the stupid fraction is the question that immediatly comes to mind.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"When confronted for the first time with the Third Basic Law, rational people instinctively react with feelings of skepticism and incredulity. The fact is that reasonable people have difficulty in conceiving and understanding unreasonable behaviour. But let us abandon the lofty plane of theory and let us look pragmatically at our daily life. We all recollect occasions in which a fellow took an action which resulted in his gain and our loss: we had to deal with a bandit. We also recollect cases in which a fellow took an action which resulted in his loss and our gain: we had to deal with a helpless person. We can recollect cases in which a fellow took an action by which both parties gained: he was intelligent. Such cases do indeed occur. But upon thoughtful reflection you must admit that these are not the events which punctuate most frequently our daily life. Our daily life is mostly, made of cases in which we lose money and/or time and/or energy and/or appetite, cheerfulness and good health because of the improbable action of some preposterous creature who has nothing to gain and indeed gains nothing from causing us embarrassment, difficulties or harm. Nobody knows, understands or can possibly explain why that preposterous creature does what he does. In fact there is no explanation - or better there is only one explanation: the person in question is stupid. "

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I also hope that most of us are familiar with the related Dunning-Kruger study on incompetency...
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Reginald Ret

this must be why i'm so good at chess, my stupidity grants me the power of unpredictability.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Triple Zero

Quote from: Nigel on October 06, 2008, 05:50:03 AM
I also hope that most of us are familiar with the related Dunning-Kruger study on incompetency...

nope, at least not by that name, can i has linky?
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Jasper

I've always had an innate sense of this idea, but never really gave it a ton of thought.

Excellent stuff.

RunsWithScissors

:lol:

This brought to mind SOOOOOO many people. 
Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes.  Then, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away and have his shoes.

Triple Zero

hey i'm really glad that a year after posting, some people are getting good things from this.

i think i stumbled across it years before that as well, before i met Discordia.