News:

PD.com: Where we throw rocks at your sacred cows

Main Menu

A Little Something I Learned the Other Day.

Started by AFK, November 12, 2007, 05:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Do you know how much it has cost to implement the Iraq War?  $500 Billion.  Lotta money right?  Yep.

Guess what, when all is said and done, that will be MUCH less than half of what the war will really cost.

What do you think is going to happen IF and when the soldiers come back?  Do you think they are all going to just integrate back into society like nothing ever happened?  That it will all be Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy? 

There is an estimate that the cost of treating our returning vets from Iraq, for PTSD and similar mental disorders will be more than $600 Billion.  Yep, more than the actual implementation of the war.  Of course, that's just the FIRST layer of the cost.  This estimate does not factor in the cost of consequences that branch off from the PTSD, etc.,   Many will become addicted to something (alcohol, drugs, etc.), there will be domestic abuse, there will be a whole host of issues associated with these guys and gals being in the middle of battle for years. 

Okay, okay, we get it!  What's the point?

I don't know about you but I don't remember, ever hearing our leaders in Congress and the Executive Branch talking about these kinds of costs.  Fuck, not even the Democrats, the opposition, give this kind of thing any respectable or meaningful attention.  We hear about the ramifications of this ill-conceived war in Iraq, and what it will do to foreign relations and how it's a strain on military and the resources that go to the military.  Sure, they talk about wanting to bring the troops home, but then what? 

If they ever summon up the spine to actually stand up to the Commander in Chief, and find a way to bring this Theatre of the Absurd, to a close, I hope they also manage to help these folks out when they do bring them home.  Because, right now, it doesn't look so good. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Nast

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on November 12, 2007, 05:09:01 PM
Do you know how much it has cost to implement the Iraq War?  $500 Billion.  Lotta money right?  Yep.

According to poverty.com, the cost of stopping all deaths from poverty-related hunger
and disease would cost only about $195 billion a year.

LOL PRIORITIES.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

The Good Reverend Roger

Factor in the no-bid contracts and you can triple that number.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pope Naughty Nasturtiums on November 12, 2007, 05:25:39 PM

According to poverty.com, the cost of stopping all deaths from poverty-related hunger

LOL PRIORITIES.

We're already up to our arse in people.  Feed two today, you feed 15 in 20 years.  The math doesn't work in your favor.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Nast

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 12, 2007, 05:32:54 PM
Quote from: Pope Naughty Nasturtiums on November 12, 2007, 05:25:39 PM

LOL PRIORITIES.

We're already up to our arse in people.  Feed two today, you feed 15 in 20 years.  The math doesn't work in your favor.

Fucked if we do, fucked if we don't.  :)

But I'm just saying that on principle, there's a lot more that someone can do with 500 billion.
If we meat-sacks keep running around like we are, 15 more people won't matter when the shit hits the fan, anyway.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

LMNO

Although, some statistics show that when the mortality rate decreases, so does the birth rate.

I did say "some", of course.

AFK

Actually, the sure fire way to decrease the birth rate is to give everyone full bellies. 

More assurances of family survival = less need to procreate like bunnies. 

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on November 12, 2007, 06:19:52 PM
Actually, the sure fire way to decrease the birth rate is to give everyone full bellies. 

If, that is, one also manages to reduce mortality from disease (vaccinations and clean water for this) and reduce the risk of getting shot or something. Otherwise, food security will backfire and the population will explode.

AFK

Quote from: Cainad on November 12, 2007, 06:40:48 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on November 12, 2007, 06:19:52 PM

If, that is, one also manages to reduce mortality from disease (vaccinations and clean water for this) and reduce the risk of getting shot or something. Otherwise, food security will backfire and the population will explode.

True, sanitation and security have to be addressed as well.  But, if you feed them first, they will be more willing and able participants in the latter. 

The Good Reverend Roger

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pope Naughty Nasturtiums on November 12, 2007, 06:04:44 PM

But I'm just saying that on principle, there's a lot more that someone can do with 500 billion.

Yep.  Secret bases under volcanoes.  DO NEVER FUCKING TEST!

If we meat-sacks keep running around like we are, 15 more people won't matter when the shit hits the fan, anyway.

Um, 15/2, over 80% of the population.  Call that 39 BILLION more people inside of 20 years.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 12, 2007, 06:57:10 PM

Um, 15/2, over 80% of the population.  Call that 39 BILLION more people inside of 20 years.

And they won't speak English very well.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cainad on November 12, 2007, 07:02:09 PM

Nor will they hold our values dear.

LMNO

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 12, 2007, 07:10:39 PM
Quote from: Cainad on November 12, 2007, 07:02:09 PM

Nor will they hold our values dear.

We'll have to take advantage of the One Laptop Per Child, to ensure that the tradition of lulz et al isn't just a "white power" thing. Intertubez for all more of humanity!

The Book of The SubGenius has multiple translations, right? Or will that have to wait until the "developing world" reaches the stage of Bureaucracy?