News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "At least Satanists HAVE a worldview. After reading this thread, I'm convinced that discordians not only don't, but will actively mock anyone who does."

Main Menu

READ THIS SIGN

Started by Cramulus, November 25, 2007, 06:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

Jumpin' Jehoshaphat!

You actually noticed this sign!

Not many people do. I mean, try standing over there and watch it for a second. A lot of people pass by, but very few even look. But you, YOU, there's something about you. You're more perceptive than THEY are.

And I know, I know.
You're busy, and you've got someplace else to be.

I don't have your attention for long, so I'll be brief.

WAKE UP DAMNIT!

At any given moment, a very few people on this planet are AWARE of their surroundings. Most people are zoned out, barely conscious. They're not using their brains, they're just coasting along. Reacting to things as they'll come. I see a nation of scholars and warriors and poets who are DRUGGED INTO STUPIDITY. A nation of DaVincis who are BORED TO SLEEP. And by what? Well I tell you this - they're doing it to themselves.

And the average human has less than three original thoughts per week. Have you had one yet today? Really think now... and your precious opinions about things don't count towards the grand total - merely reacting to stimulus isn't a demonstration of your brain power.

So listen,
you and me, we're both conscious - for the moment. But in a few minutes, we're going to slip back into the Machine. The Machine? It's the Machine that we're all making with our daily rhythms. Our general lockstep mania. Our religion of current events. We're going to go back to that in a minute. You and I are going back to sleep.

It's cool though. The trick is to realize that you're dreaming. Train yourself to stay aware. You did it at least once today, you can do it again. And do us ALL a favor --

HELP WAKE EACH OTHER UP

It's the least you can do. Do it as a favor to me, like I just did unto you.

PROFESSOR CRAMULUS, KSC

This page is Free - free to be copied and distributed, modified, or torn down in an angry fit. Do What Thou Wilt.

Cainad (dec.)

Somehow, Cram, you manage to take an old theme and reiterate it so that people's "ignore the loony" reaction is delayed long enough to get the message in there. Kudos.

Also:
Quote from: Professor Cramulus on November 25, 2007, 06:18:24 PM
And the average human has less than three original thoughts per week. Have you had one yet today? Really think now... and your precious opinions about things don't count towards the grand total - merely reacting to stimulus isn't a demonstration of your brain power.

Read The Prince of Nothing trilogy by R. Scott Bakker when you have some cash and reading time available. This is one of the most important themes in the whole story for at least one of the characters.

Cramulus

yeah, I'm trying to come up with a good headline for this. I think it could probably have a more interesting title than READ THIS SIGN. I'm not sure whether it should be an image or a meme bomb or some kind of mondo. But should be something attention getting.

Maybe something surreal or absurd or silly?

Cainad (dec.)

How about 'I DARE YOU TO IGNORE THIS SIGN'?

Iron Sulfide

i used to graffiti "Get Lucid or Wake The Fuck Up" on bus stops and the like.
Ya' stupid Yank.

LMNO

I like the allusion to lucid dreaming in there.  It's fairly sly.

LadybirdJohnson

YES YES YYYYYYEEEESSSSS!!

Iron Sulfide

i don't think it needs to be said, but i don't think i have said it before.
so for posterity, all and any memebomb type material i produce of original nature
is copyleft, or general public license.

just use it well if it's of any worth at all.
Ya' stupid Yank.

Precious Moments Zalgo

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on November 25, 2007, 06:18:24 PMthe average human has less than three original thoughts per week
Hi Professor,

Where did you get that statistic?  I wouldn't have imagined that the number was anywhere near that high. 

I would have guessed that the average human has about three original thoughts per lifetime.

Pastor Mullah Zappathruster
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

A thought is original if the thinker has not thought it before, even if it has been thought by someone else previously. That boosts things quite a lot. For example, which watching Grizzly Man the other day I thought "Holy hell! It's a good thing the bear ate him" and even though probably every single person who sees that movie has the same thought, it was new to me.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Chairman Risus

Quote from: Nigel on December 01, 2007, 04:06:58 AM
A thought is original if the thinker has not thought it before, even if it has been thought by someone else previously. That boosts things quite a lot. For example, which watching Grizzly Man the other day I thought "Holy hell! It's a good thing the bear ate him" and even though probably every single person who sees that movie has the same thought, it was new to me.
It seems contradictory that you think you can be original and just like everybody else at the same time.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

A lot of things about life are contradictory.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be deep, just pointing out that there are different kind of originality. One is unique originality (no one has come up with it before) and the other is individual originality (that specific individual has not come up with it before). Even if others have had the same thought, if an individual has not been exposed to the idea, but it arises on its own, it is unprecedented and original to their brains.

That's where the whole idea of creative synchronicity comes from; two or more individuals may act on the same original idea simultaneously without having any awareness of each other.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nast

People really focus hard on trying to be original.
Hence being "outlandish".
Everyone thinks they're cutting edge, but really, there's just willing to make themselves stereotypically weird or mysterious or a black sheep because they think it'll make people like them.

As the Disney channel informs me, it is better to just be yourself.

"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I just try to surprise myself and make myself laugh once in a while. It's the best I can do.

Nast

Quote from: Nigel on December 01, 2007, 05:20:27 AM
I just try to surprise myself and make myself laugh once in a while. It's the best I can do.

*nod*
This is also the correct motorcycle.
Also the classiest way of going about things.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."