News:

That's okay, I know how to turn my washing machine into a centrifuge if need be.

Main Menu

The formula to calculate the volume

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, November 28, 2007, 07:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

of a Sno-Cone:
1/3 π r^2 (2r + h)

Wait, does that even work?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

so, did you solve the revolution integral of a linear function, or how did you come up with it?

cause if you'd replace it with a nonlinear function, you could pretty much calculate the volume of any shape buttplug.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

DarkStar

Darkstar watches as that last post zoomed over his head.  Why can't people say, 1+1 = 2 anymore?
Freedom should never be taken for granted.  When you give yours away, you give mine.  Fuck you.

LMNO

Did you take into account the half-dome of sno-cone that rises over the base of the cone?

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

did you take into account that math sucks and no one cares?

LMNO

Triple Zero

Quote from: mian tiao noodle on November 28, 2007, 12:51:49 PM
did you take into account that math sucks and no one cares?

FUCK YOU FRED MY YUCCA DIED BECAUSE NO ONE CARES!

at least, i didn't.

also, thanks to the forces of sheer coincidence, my Yucca was called Fred (Freddy, actually). true story.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Cain

Triple Zero

cassave?

i like cassave crackers.

i bought a cassave root once (sometimes my supermarket has weird vegetables. i usually jump at the chance). apparently you need to grind it up so it turns into some sort of starch flour stuff. i tried to make cookies of it. didn't really work.

Cain

Yeah, cassava.  Our guide in Peru called itYuca.  We boiled them up and had them for breakfast.  Very nice, the flavour and ease of cooking. 

AFK

fuck Sno-Cones, it's ICEE's or nothing. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cain on November 28, 2007, 01:40:03 PM
Yeah, cassava.  Our guide in Peru called itYuca.  We boiled them up and had them for breakfast.  Very nice, the flavour and ease of cooking. 

boiled?

hmmmmm, so i assume you grate off the sticky brown bark, saw it into pieces and boil it? how long, approximately?

the cassava i bought was *very* hard on the inside, hence i just grinded it to some paste.

Cain

About half an hour, or when its soft, whichever happens first.  And remove the centre, its fibre anyway.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: triple zero on November 28, 2007, 12:08:33 PM
so, did you solve the revolution integral of a linear function, or how did you come up with it?

cause if you'd replace it with a nonlinear function, you could pretty much calculate the volume of any shape buttplug.

I do not even understand this post. Keep in mind that as a budding math student I am still in the stage where it is exciting to me to be able to calculate the volume of a cone and a hemisphere.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on November 28, 2007, 12:42:18 PM
Did you take into account the half-dome of sno-cone that rises over the base of the cone?

Yeah, it started out as V= 1/3 π r^2 h + 2/3 π r^3 but someone pointed out to me that it could be simplified to V= 1/3 π r^2 (2r + h) but frankly I am not sure it's any simpler, or that it's any good, because by treating the cone + hemisphere as one object would you lose the implicit directions for measuring h which are obvious when considering the cone separately?