News:

PD.com: The most patriotic board in America - jointly run by an Australian, an Irishman, a filthy Dutchman, a Canadian and some guy from the West Indies.

Main Menu

Actual serious question

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, November 29, 2007, 09:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Soooooooo I have been on this here board thing for a couple of weeks, and I'm starting to trust you people to some degree.
I noticed that most of you seem to know each other pretty well, as is normal and logical from being on a board together over time. My question is, how closely is wise and prudent to guard details of one's personal life and identity? Not knowing, I have been careful not to reveal anything about my family life, hobbies, or work. I figure my eating habits and education are unlikely to give too much away because lots of people take math classes and eat a lot of olives. My name is generic enough. Am I basically on the right track, or am I being needlessly paranoid?

LMNO has my email address, and from which could easily track down everything there is to know about me, but the letters LMNO seem inherently trustworthy.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Oh poor foolish you.  LMNO is fapping outside your place of work right now, posting from a Wifi enabled laptop.

As for guarding details, it depends.  Firstly, if you want anonymity from random online peeps, that isn't too hard.  Its just being aware enough not to give out really personal details.  If you want anonymity from the State's personal stormtroopers, forget it right now, because you're not.  If you intend to go out trolling, it might be worth picking up generic emails with fake names and learn how to proxy, but beyond that and giving away obvious details (the street where you live, friends names, your actual employers etc) you should be OK.

LMNO

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Never post anything on the Internet, if you're really concerned about it becoming public knowledge.

Otherwise... I'd agree with Cain's sage advice.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Hahahaha OK. As for LMNO, my plan worked <group fap>

I am on several other forums, and my job involves marketing shit on the internet, so my personal information is already out there, in a professional (if you can call it that) context. I honestly don't mind at all if you guys trenchcoat around in front of my house, and the MIB already know who I am, so that's no biggie. I guess I'm partly thinking of Roger's situation, but again... I know it's pretty easy for Joe Schmoe to find someone's personal information with very little to go on.

I troll rarely and carefully, and generally at total random in ways that make me giggle, so I doubt that would be an issue.

I guess the only people I'm worried about are people who randomly hate everyone who posts on this board, and I'm wondering if that's ever even a problem.

If not, well shit, I might as well start bitching about the mundane shit that plagues my personal life.  :lulz:

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh, another thing that brought this up in my mind is that I noticed a couple of people posting about what they do for work, and it was pretty obvious that they're not worried about someone tracking them down... even though Aini's fire-eating is pretty distinctive. Oh, and she posted a picture, too. So I guess she's not at all worried about being hunted down like a dog by a horde of angry baby-eating Christians.

Cramulus

the assholes who post here usually can't be bothered to mess with you personally. There are a lot of trolls here, but they generally don't shit where they eat.

I encourage you, however, to post a pic of you from IRL so we know what kind of fingerlicking mouthbreather you are. The WOMP cabal demands it!

Like Cain said, I wouldn't worry too hard about your PI. If you're already a savvy net user, you're aware of the risks and dangers of telling strangers your True Name.

I'm fairly certain that none of the regulars here are going to mess with you unless you really, really ask for it. This tiff between Roger and Tent which seems to have spilled IRL is an irregularity and certainly not commonplace around here.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Haha OK cool! I can relax my ninja stance! Also I will post a pic later. Wait, is it a trap?

LMNO

saint aini

Quote from: Nigel on November 29, 2007, 09:44:16 PM
Oh, another thing that brought this up in my mind is that I noticed a couple of people posting about what they do for work, and it was pretty obvious that they're not worried about someone tracking them down... even though Aini's fire-eating is pretty distinctive. Oh, and she posted a picture, too. So I guess she's not at all worried about being hunted down like a dog by a horde of angry baby-eating Christians.

actually, it was a fire breathing picture posted to augment a point.  I'm not too worried about people tracking me down because my info is out there because of the nature of my primary business. I personally won't post my phone number to my website because I don't want random phone calls.

Besides, I'm a cat girl... I can claw back at them.
Mary: Let me ask you something.
[Grabs his hand]
Mary: Why are you alive?
John Preston: [Breaks free] I'm alive... I live... to safeguard the continuity of this great society. To serve Libria.
Mary: It's circular. You exist to continue your existence. What's the point?
John Preston: What's the point of your existence?
Mary: To feel. 'Cause you've never done it, you can never know it. But it's as vital as breath. And without it, without love, without anger, without sorrow, breath is just a clock... ticking.

Darth Cupcake

Although some of the jerks around here will find out your real info just so they can Google your name and see what sort of a loser you were when you were 14. (This sulky expression is directed YOU, Payne :p)

Quote from: Nigel on November 29, 2007, 09:53:04 PM
Haha OK cool! I can relax my ninja stance! Also I will post a pic later. Wait, is it a trap?

You will be given a gift from the gods if you post a pic. Srsly. I speak from experience. Most people here have a pic on file in the annals of the WOMP repository.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Cain

That reminds me...Payne promised to show me some of your poetry.

Dysfunctional Cunt

No, of course not, what would ever give you that idea?

:evil:

Darth Cupcake

Oh god no sweet merciful fuck please no :x

I did go in and delete it, but I'm sure he's smart enough to have taken screen caps or something.

YE JERKS!
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on November 29, 2007, 09:56:51 PM
Although some of the jerks around here will find out your real info just so they can Google your name and see what sort of a loser you were when you were 14. (This sulky expression is directed YOU, Payne :p)

You will be given a gift from the gods if you post a pic. Srsly. I speak from experience. Most people here have a pic on file in the annals of the WOMP repository.

Will... will the "gift" be my face Photoshopped into a composite image of George Michael assraping a wombat?

Oh goodie!