News:

Also, i dont think discordia attracts any more sociopaths than say, atheism or satanism.

Main Menu

Creativity is free

Started by Cain, December 20, 2007, 12:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

ARTISTS AND CREATORS SHOULD LEARN TO LIVE ON AIR, OR PAINT EDIBLE WORKS OF ART! 

Because, of course, there is no way with the current economic system that these people are not going to get screwed over if they have no legal recourse to ownership of their ideas and creations, and relying on the charity of speculators, companies and entrepeneurs is charmingly naive, to say the least.

Of course, if you can come up with an economic system where works can be distributed freely, yet people aren't going homeless and hungry, then I'm all ears.  Benaclypse gave one, but I seeing very few other suggestions.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Cain on March 30, 2008, 11:36:58 PM
http://www.breatharian.com/ :lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I always wonder about those guys.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"
Breatharian Institute Of America
"EMPOWERED ASCENSION"

INITIATION WORKSHOPS

BY

WILEY BROOKS, BREATHARIAN AND FOUNDER OF
The Breatharian Institute of America

To do the workshops you must travel to southern Utah for the first 5 days

The workshop includes a visit to Earth Prime in the 5th Dimension

in your physical body if you are ready.

You will also learn how to become a permanent resident and/or retire in this beautiful world.

The process starts at an initial costs as low as $10,000,000.00 USD

This special offer will last for only 2 months

No Refunds

Sept 1, 2007 the cost will be $15,000,000 USD

November 1, 2007 the cost will be 20,000,000.00 USD

January 1, 2008 the cost will be 25,000,000.00 USD

(I will consider a payment plan)"
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Reginald Ret

Because, of course, there is no way with the current economic system that these people are not going to get screwed over if they have no legal recourse to ownership of their ideas and creations, and relying on the charity of speculators, companies and entrepeneurs is charmingly naive, to say the least.

Of course, if you can come up with an economic system where works can be distributed freely, yet people aren't going homeless and hungry, then I'm all ears.  Benaclypse gave one, but I seeing very few other suggestions.

well its something i'll put off until after i've created the superultimate anarchist utopia, duh!

oh and the first step in improving the world Regret-style is to solve the overpopulation problem, cuz with that lots of problems would just dissapear, or at least be diluted.

Regret,
Good at bitching, not so good at actually solving stuff.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

GlompChomp

Quote from: Regret on March 31, 2008, 12:22:47 AM

well its something i'll put off until after i've created the superultimate anarchist utopia, duh!

oh and the first step in improving the world Regret-style is to solve the overpopulation problem, cuz with that lots of problems would just dissapear, or at least be diluted.

Regret,
Good at bitching, not so good at actually solving stuff.

I don't think overpopulation is a problem as much as it is a catalyst for change. Lights a fire under our asses, so to speak.
widdly scuds

I stretch my penis in a saltwater toffee maker every Tuesday and Saturday.

B_M_W

Quote from: triple zero on March 30, 2008, 05:46:41 PM
Quote from: B_M_W on March 30, 2008, 05:33:43 AM
Also, never appologize for inspiration. Ever.

what do you mean?

never apologize for lack of inspiration?

cause a few years back i was doing this commissioned work for some 13-14 cartoons, one for every study/faculty of the exact sciences on my university, it was deadline day because the next day i was going on holidays to Prague ..
after the 10th cartoon or so i was seriously scraping the bottom of the barrel when it came to inspiration for any sort of funny and i had to call in all the help-troops, which meant bugging any sort of person that was still online at that time of night for ideas and using obscene brainstorming techniques such as Tarot cards (no drugs, at 5am weed and alcohol just makes me sleepy and coffee kills my ability to draw accurately).

ok, so i managed to do it, but at the end it was mostly because of some hardcore sense of duty (oh, and 250 euros + exposure) than any kind of left over inspiration :)

forced funny is always a good kind of funny

that oneliner should go into the lollercaust. i think RWHN knows what i'm talking about here.

Actually, we meant never appologize for being inspired. take that donkey by the ears and /ride it/
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Xooxe

I pretty much see creativity as payment since it's usually so rewarding. Monetary payment is just a bonus, depending on whether people actually like what you're doing.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Regret on March 31, 2008, 12:22:47 AMwell its something i'll put off until after i've created the superultimate anarchist utopia, duh!

but what about the dolphins?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Reginald Ret

if the dolphins are a problem to you then i'm willing to dilute them too, know any good dolphin solvents?
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

There have been a few suggestions in economics which could be of use.

The Tobin Tax, along with a National Dividend or Minimum Guaranteed Income economic system could make many lower paying but necessary jobs (including the arts) more accessible for people.  Equally, there was a Creative Token system which seemed a little complex and difficult to implement, but may have some promise.

But without these being put in place, telling people to suck it up wont work.  Capitalism isn't just a mode of production, its a theory about ownership as well, and denying people ownership in the current environment is as good as stealing from them.

LMNO

Quote from: Regret on March 29, 2008, 03:29:36 PM
Quote from: LMNO on December 20, 2007, 02:39:19 PM
but I also like the possibility that I can get paid for what I'm good at and like to do,

And i would like getting a golden toilet seat.
wanting something doesn't give you the right to get it, its an argument i hear everytime i try to explain that its silly to pay for something they wouldn't want to buy back(i.e. every form of information, copyrighted stuff, inventions logo's/symbols, ideas, stories etc) Why would you pay for using a idea someone else had first? are you supposed to remove the memory if you can't pay? why not use a technique you know jsut because you haven't paid the one who came up with it?

Well, if you had read the rest of it...

QuoteI like the idea of creativity being free, but I also like the possibility that I can get paid for what I'm good at and like to do, rather than separate my life into time spent being creative, and time spent trying to survive.

Currently, I spend 7.5 hours a day at a desk, in order to survive, and have some money left over to buy recording equipment and musical instruments.

When you add up the rest of my (admittedly self-imposed) obligations to my wife and my home, that gives me only a couple of hours a day to write, record, and mix my music.

I am planning on flipping this around someday/somehow, and be able to spend 7.5 hours a day writing/recording/mixing, while being able to survive, plus have some money left over.

If we do things your way, this will never be possible.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cain on March 31, 2008, 01:51:24 PM
There have been a few suggestions in economics which could be of use.

The Tobin Tax, along with a National Dividend or Minimum Guaranteed Income economic system could make many lower paying but necessary jobs (including the arts) more accessible for people.  Equally, there was a Creative Token system which seemed a little complex and difficult to implement, but may have some promise.

But without these being put in place, telling people to suck it up wont work.  Capitalism isn't just a mode of production, its a theory about ownership as well, and denying people ownership in the current environment is as good as stealing from them.

Heh, and some Discordians return to this train of thought ;-)

http://www.deepleafproductions.com/wilsonlibrary/texts/raw-RICH.html

I've been intrigued by the theories on Guaranteed Annual Income, National Dividend, etc. But I'm not at all sure it would be achievable with the mindset of our current society. Though I found the illustration of such a society in "Schrodinger's Cat" to be an optimistic and compelling picture.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

LMNO

I remember getting into a very heated argument regarding the RICH economy theory.  She was definately in the "Protestant Work Ethic" school.  She couldn't get past the fact that some people with no "job" might just sit around getting stoned all day.