News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

Ghostbusters vs Cthulhu

Started by Cramulus, December 29, 2007, 05:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

Does anybody remember the animated Ghostbusters cartoon? I'm a fanatic Ghostbusters fan (my flatmate Nomad and I can communicate entirely in fragments of ghostbusters quotes) and as a kid watched their cartoon every Saturday morning. One particular episode left a big impression on me. Titled "Collect Call of Cathulhu", it's written in the Lovecraft genre. In High School, when I discovered Lovecraft, that episode's gnothic chanting bubbled up from memory and I began a maddened search for it.

But lo, the internet was young, and it was impossible (at that time) to find.

Imagine my delight when last night's youtube search revealed the episode in its entirety!

So without further ado, I present to you, The Collect Call of Cathulhu.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QFpOEhJwPy4&feature=related - Part 1
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KF8M1Erwvg0&feature=related - Part 2
http://youtube.com/watch?v=al7jpbu9w_Y&feature=related - Part 3

things to look out for:

• August Dereleth is, apparently, a chick
  • Shoggoths are scary as hell
  • the episode is fairly faithful to the genre. Including that the characters have to spend hours and hours reading boring old books
  • Cthulhu is somewhat easier to defeat than Lovecraft would lead us to believe

a line from the episode:
Peter: I don't see what's the big deal. [The Necronomicon] is just a book!
Ray: Yeah, and an Atomic Bomb is just a couple of rocks slammed together.

THE line of the episode:
Janine: (talking to Peter's date) "Ghostbusters are heartbreakers, kid. Don't get too close to 'em."

and for a bonus level of weirdness I discovered a few years ago:

Peter Venkman is played by Bill Murray in the movies.
In the cartoon, his voice is played by Lorenzo Music.
Lorenzo Music used the same voice for Garfield (the cartoon)
Bill Murray did the voice of Garfield for the Garfield CGI movie

For the Garfield movie, Bill Murray was essentially doing an impression of Lorenzo Music. Who was, in turn, doing an impression of Bill Murray. I call this the Musical-Murray Continuum.

IS YUOR MIND BLOWN YET?

Sir Squid Diddimus

Lol, that's funny.
I found this a while ago somewhere and sent it to a friend of mine.
Then it all made sense.
I remember watching this as a kid and so did he.
It was awesome :)

Richter

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Richter

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on December 29, 2007, 05:55:02 PM
things to look out for:

• August Dereleth is, apparently, a chick
  • Shoggoths are scary as hell
  • the episode is fairly faithful to the genre. Including that the characters have to spend hours and hours reading boring old books
  • Cthulhu is somewhat easier to defeat than Lovecraft would lead us to believe

Also:

Clark Ashton:  in reference to Clark Ashton Smith, contemporary of Lovecraft's and another mythos writer.  Nicknamed "Klarkash - Ton" by HPL.

Eltdown shards:  This and other items mentioned by Alice at the end of the episodes, also mythos allusions
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Suu

I remember finding this and sending it around the office, Richter. Then Ned took my Cthulhu plushie and tortured people. Not that he didn't do that enough anyway.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

ive never seen ghostbusters or read any lovecraft! double fail!!

Bu🤠ns

this rocks .. the cultleader looks like moses holding up the book of the law.

the boogieman episode scared the hell out of me when i was little. 

oh fuck they have it:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VNnDho7X3Po
http://youtube.com/watch?v=XZjTcVCI04E
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cpRQvqmrulI

edit:
QuotePeter: "But you don't look smart"....."She's a take charge kinda lady, i like that"
         "you're such a polyana, egon"
8)

Mourning Star

I didn't know Arsenio Hall did the voice of Winston!

Cramulus

Quote from: mian tiao noodle on December 30, 2007, 06:40:59 AM
ive never seen ghostbusters or read any lovecraft! double fail!!

you're right you fail twice!

Faust

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on December 29, 2007, 05:55:02 PM

Peter Venkman is played by Bill Murray in the movies.
In the cartoon, his voice is played by Lorenzo Music.
Lorenzo Music used the same voice for Garfield (the cartoon)
Bill Murray did the voice of Garfield for the Garfield CGI movie

For the Garfield movie, Bill Murray was essentially doing an impression of Lorenzo Music. Who was, in turn, doing an impression of Bill Murray. I call this the Musical-Murray Continuum.

IS YUOR MIND BLOWN YET?
Holy shit
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

I have all of Lovecraft's major fictional pieces, as well as many of Dereleth's.

I haven't really read them, mind you, but I have them.

Faust

I read a collection last year when I was doing the security. some really good stories that are actually still scary to date.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

I like Derleths later stuff. He makes these really bizarre leaps from one concept to another that you can never really tell what he's trying to get across, aside from his simultaneous attraction to/revulsion of the typewriter.

He needed to do even more acid.

Suu

I live in Lovecraftland. I have seen his birthplace, which is now a lovely doctor's office, and I have seen his grave, which isn't really his grave because he's not buried under the headstone, but in fact somewhere randomly on the Philips plot at Swan Pointe.

Fans paid for the headstone and put in there, but the Philips family kinda wanted him left unmarked for a reason, because some of his more devout followers like to try to dig him up. o.O

However, Providence does ZILCH to honor the man. There isn't even one of those metal historical home signs in front of 420 Angell St. It kind of irks me, but I think the family sorta prefers it that way. There's one monument to him, and thats in front of one of Brown University's libraries across from their main quad.  That's it.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

tyrannosaurus vex

CRAM YOU, DAMNULUS

You just brought back to my memory the day when I realized that Humans are lying sacks of shit.

I was once also a big fan of Ghostbusters. I had the plasma rifle backpack (or three), the little ghost-capture box thing, and even a jumpsuit. I wore glasses even with my perfect eyesight so I could be cool like Egon.

I decided to borrow my parents' video camera and go make a Ghostbusters movie. I made a few enormous ghosts out of posterboard, and went to school to invite some douchebags to be extras in my film. Of course they all thought it was cool.

Until that Saturday when none of them showed up.

:(
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.