News:

"We don't make the apocalypse, we make the apocalypse better."

Main Menu

THE CANCER KILLING PDCOM - Blow-by-Blow Coverage of Democratic Primary Race

Started by tyrannosaurus vex, January 04, 2008, 06:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

I'm interested to see Obama's line on foreign policy myself.

Personally, everything except financial regulation can go hang, because it doesn't affect me at all.

His foreign policy team seem to have some interesting ideas, and are against what they call the "policy of fear" but what they describe as the national security state discourse.  There were suggestions of economic opportunities and the use of cultural exchanges etc to improve America's international standing, as well as adherence to "international norms" (NOT the rule of law.  But it suggests at least a return to Clintonian multiliateralism).

How they intend to put anything beyond diplomatic policy changes into place with a tanking economy, is, of course, another question entirely, but a fresh policy outlook would be nice.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cain on April 04, 2008, 09:58:45 PM
I'm interested to see Obama's line on foreign policy myself.

Personally, everything except financial regulation can go hang, because it doesn't affect me at all.

His foreign policy team seem to have some interesting ideas, and are against what they call the "policy of fear" but what they describe as the national security state discourse.  There were suggestions of economic opportunities and the use of cultural exchanges etc to improve America's international standing, as well as adherence to "international norms" (NOT the rule of law.  But it suggests at least a return to Clintonian multiliateralism).

How they intend to put anything beyond diplomatic policy changes into place with a tanking economy, is, of course, another question entirely, but a fresh policy outlook would be nice.

I agree... I would be solidly behind McCain, except his current position on foreign policy scares the hooey out of me.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

tyrannosaurus vex

Also, when you think of McCain, remember he was one of the Keating 5, who helped to save a floundering Savings & Loan industry from Justice.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Cain

Well, saving the economy simply isn't profitable at this stage.  You have to wait until enough financial planners and bank owners are put out of business, so they can form a consultancy company and the government can outsource the problem to them.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: vexati0n on April 04, 2008, 10:03:39 PM
Also, when you think of McCain, remember he was one of the Keating 5, who helped to save a floundering Savings & Loan industry from Justice.

He was one of the Keating Five who attended a couple meetings, without realizing what three of the five were involved in. Both he and John Glenn were determined to hold little culpability for the incident and the inquiry basically exonerated them (with a statement that they both showed poor judgment in attending the meetings). After the incident, McCain began pushing hard to create rules to keep that sort of thing from happening again.

Are you getting your information from FAUX News? ;-)

tyrannosaurus vex

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Roo

Quote from: LMNO on April 04, 2008, 09:07:13 PM
Roo, you've got to pick a concern here... Either you think that he has no plans, or you think his plans maintain the status quo.

You're arguing from both sides, here.

My concern is that he has no solid plans to create change, and that it seems like the plans he does have would function to maintain the status quo, instead of making the kind of lasting changes that he talks about.

tyrannosaurus vex

what kind of plans do you think would institute actual change? keep in mind you have a center-right population in the country, a legislature that is a wholly owned subsidiary of Big Business Inc., and an economy that's teetering on the brink of OSHI!

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Cain

Quote from: vexati0n on April 04, 2008, 11:38:33 PM
what kind of plans do you think would institute actual change? keep in mind you have a center-right population in the country, a legislature that is a wholly owned subsidiary of Big Business Inc., and an economy that's teetering on the brink of OSHI!

Centre right?

By whose standards?

The Tory Party in the UK are considered centre-right, and they're barely to the right of the Democrats....

tyrannosaurus vex

i mean center-right on the scale of american politics, where you have the neocons at one end and pissed off fascists at the other.

Messier Undertree

keep in mind you have a center-right population in the country

I'm not too sure the leading politicians accurately represent the political ideals of the people of the US.

It seems to me to be more a case of voting for the lesser of two evils every election time.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: vexati0n on April 04, 2008, 11:46:50 PM
i mean center-right on the scale of american politics, where you have the neocons at one end and pissed off fascists at the other.

Oh no... the neocons don't seem the furtherest Right to me... I'd probably place them about halfway between the center and right. The Libertarians seem, to me, to the right of them and the Really Crazy Survivalist Weirdos to the right of that still.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: davedim on April 04, 2008, 11:54:33 PM
keep in mind you have a center-right population in the country

I'm not too sure the leading politicians accurately represent the political ideals of the people of the US.

It seems to me to be more a case of voting for the lesser of two evils every election time.

Correct Motorcycle, Davedim!

Hell, that's been the case since a minority decided everyone was gonna secede from England.