News:

Can anyone ever be sufficiently committed to Sparkle Motion?

Main Menu

unusual ways to do pasta?

Started by Jasper, February 13, 2008, 05:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

The other night I made a pasta with all the ingredients prepared separately and mixed at the end, which was interesting.  Also, pan-fried eggplant is pretty good.

Ideas?

Triple Zero

my cook & chemist book got a recipe to make translucent ravioli, using agar-agar.

it also says you can cook your pasta with a bit of half-crushed garlic and thyme.

or in stock, which is especially good for cold pasta salads, because cold pasta needs salt for the flavour.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jasper

That's a cool idea.  I'm not sure if I'd dig clearpasta though.

East Coast Hustle

yeah, bean thread noodles are cool, but I dunno about bean thread ravioli.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Jasper

I know a family who once fed me top ramen noodles with pasta sauce.  I didn't even notice until after I was done eating. 

Never again will I eat what a known sorcerer makes for dinner.

AFK

My wife made some killer spaghetti last night.  Whole wheat noodles, ground turkey with italian seasoning, some chopped green peppers, and store brand pasta sauce.  Add a little red pepper flakes and some Paremsan & Romano cheese and you got yourself some good eats. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Jasper

Sounds delicious, but also pretty standard.  I'm looking for really wild shit, like...

I wonder what would happen if I boiled the noodles in ginger tea?

Sir Squid Diddimus

Dysfunctional Cunt

I make a ginger-sesame chicken pasta dish my kids really love.  I score a chunk of peeled ginger and put it in with my pasta while it is boiling.

The sauce is 3 cups teriyaki, 1/4 cup ginger, 1 tsp sesame oil, 1/8 cup sesame seeds.  Use half to cover your chicken with before you bake it.  Toss cooked pasta in the rest and serve w/ the chicken and salad.

Triple Zero

sounds like you better use noodles instead of spaghetti for that dish?
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Dysfunctional Cunt

I use either whole grain fettucine or bow-tie

Jasper

That's just plain kinky. 

I like bowties. 

Triple Zero

i dont, because either the middle doesn't get completely done, or the outsides get done too much.

at least that's what i imagine, in fact i haven't made them in years.

my favourite pasta shapes are either fusilli (helix/spiral shaped) or spaghetti. kinda depends on the type of sauce i have. fusilli has the advantage of having a huge surface area for sauce to stick to, yet is still chunky enough to allow to mix properly with any larger bits in the sauce.

and spaghetti is good for carbonara or sourcream-tuna-onion-capers-wine-pepper sauce.

Jasper

Sounds delicious.  Bowties don't really have that problem, you get slightly soft edges and more toothsome centres, which I enjoy the difference in texture personally.

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: triple zero on February 15, 2008, 12:36:41 AM
i dont, because either the middle doesn't get completely done, or the outsides get done too much.

at least that's what i imagine, in fact i haven't made them in years.

my favourite pasta shapes are either fusilli (helix/spiral shaped) or spaghetti. kinda depends on the type of sauce i have. fusilli has the advantage of having a huge surface area for sauce to stick to, yet is still chunky enough to allow to mix properly with any larger bits in the sauce.

and spaghetti is good for carbonara or sourcream-tuna-onion-capers-wine-pepper sauce.

Uh, plz to be posting recipe...?

I like fusilli because it's easier to get on my fork. Whenever I eat spaghetti or linguine or any variation on those stringy noodles, I end up making a big mess no matter how hard I try, and there is lots of slurping involved. Dignified ladies don't slurp their pasta! :argh!:
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.