News:

PD.com: Better than a xylophone made out of live kittens that you play with a tazer.

Main Menu

Stolen Chaos Marxist Aphorisms

Started by Cain, February 21, 2008, 12:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Discordianism is in some ways like the Machine's no-good cousin.

Cramulus

Quote from: TheLastLump on February 24, 2008, 01:29:48 AM
Anyone know anything about what happened to Thornley during that time? I'd hate to think they stapled a FNORD to his brain or something. Did he still believe Discordianism was falsified by the Machine afterwards, or was it just a minor phr34k0u7 because of his being accused of assassinating someone? I'd hate to think it left him scarred...

are we talking about after the CIA contacted Thornley?

In The Prankster and the Conspiracy, Gorightly says that Thornley spent many years homeless, wandering from scam to soup kitchen, paranoid as shit. Old friends would take him in for a night, but only to turn him out the next day because he couldn't stop talking about conspiracy theory. Apparently he had internalized a lot of circular logic about how they were out to get him, and was pretty much living on the lamb from the illuminati.

Verbal Mike

Mithtur Professor thur, if I thtay here, will I turn out kwathy like mithtur Thornley did ath well thur?
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Cain

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on February 24, 2008, 03:37:36 PM
Anyone know anything about what happened to Thornley during that time? I'd hate to think they stapled a FNORD to his brain or something. Did he still believe Discordianism was falsified by the Machine afterwards, or was it just a minor phr34k0u7 because of his being accused of assassinating someone? I'd hate to think it left him scarred...

are we talking about after the CIA contacted Thornley?

In The Prankster and the Conspiracy, Gorightly says that Thornley spent many years homeless, wandering from scam to soup kitchen, paranoid as shit. Old friends would take him in for a night, but only to turn him out the next day because he couldn't stop talking about conspiracy theory. Apparently he had internalized a lot of circular logic about how they were out to get him, and was pretty much living on the lamb from the illuminati.

How is the Prankster and the Conspiracy, btw?  I heard the interview Gorightly gave Out There Radio, and saw him plug it on POEE, but its something I haven't got around to buying yet.

Also, yes, some of Thornley's later writing was rather crazy.  Vril, Nazi scientists, the hollow earth...you name it he wrote something on it.  The Dreadlock Recollections are probably the most cogent and thoughtful of books he wrote about his experiences, and if you decide to read anything, I suggest it be that.  Take it all with a pinch of salt, however.  Scepticism is a good virtue when it comes to conspiracy theories, one many theorists are sadly lacking in.

Janvier

Funny thing, I was thinking about exactly the same things as the Painkiller of the masses and cultural revolution part deal with today, I labeled it "metamemetics" (if I try to pronounce it drunk at least people will know not to listen to me). I also finished a short story which I'm ready to throw to the lions. Be gentle, it's my first time  :D

One grey morning an Erisian legionnaire named Rupert the Dimwitted was enjoying his monthly shower (an especially unique experience, for the Discordian month has 73 days). He amused himself for a while by arranging his body in such shapes that beams of water would hit the bathroom tiles in funny ways. Satisfied with inventing this wholesome new form of entertainment, he shouted at his pineal gland: "Hey Eris, check this shit out, it's neat."  "I'm standing right next to you, sheesh.", replied the disgruntled Goddess. She inspected herself, complaining he had imagined her all wrong; she looked at the shower, noting the stale water from the rusty pipes was probably a hotbed for disease; and finally scanned Rupert, who was standing like a crane, arms outstretched, hands reaching at the beams of water. "It is a metaphor for existence.", she spoke, frowning at his kooky pose. "The water flowing down your body is like reality and your body itself is like your consciousness. If you would have perfect control over your body and knew exactly  what the properties of the water are, you would be able to make the water hit the tiles in any way you desire. However, you know only little of your body and the water. The more you learn, the more you are able to control the flow."

Rupert stared at Eris, uttering "I..."; glanced at himself, stammering "..uh..."; and finally peered at the shower, concluding "...hm." He struggled to express something, but simultaneously forgot how to speak and what it was he wanted to share.  As Eris' shape faded from him she added: "One more thing: in the shower of life, don't drop the soap."

LMNO

Transmissions from Sirius.

FingFeng

Quote from: Hoopla on February 23, 2008, 05:59:09 PMPlus, according to Thornley's own timeline he and Hill came up with Discordianism before he came into contact with the so-called CIA agents.  But it does seem likely they influenced heavily the Law of Fives, which was a later addition to Discordianism.  That makes one think.
Now, that's just silly thinking...

Of course, if there was some proof that the US GOV'T had some investature in the number 5 then I may admit that you have a possible theory there... I mean, if they built large impressive five-sided structures or something...

*doubletakes on an aerial photograph of WashingtonDC.*

~ Pope Fing Feng III

TheLastLump

Quote from: FingFeng on March 02, 2008, 09:19:54 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on February 23, 2008, 05:59:09 PMPlus, according to Thornley's own timeline he and Hill came up with Discordianism before he came into contact with the so-called CIA agents.  But it does seem likely they influenced heavily the Law of Fives, which was a later addition to Discordianism.  That makes one think.
Now, that's just silly thinking...

Of course, if there was some proof that the US GOV'T had some investature in the number 5 then I may admit that you have a possible theory there... I mean, if they built large impressive five-sided structures or something...

*doubletakes on an aerial photograph of WashingtonDC.*

~ Pope Fing Feng III

Five-Sided Castle, indeed.....  :wink:
"It's a dog-eat-dog world, Jesus, please holla back..." -The Game

doughboy359: Don't be angry cause you're a heretical pagan, we'll still accept you if you convert. Doughboy, on being a Catholic.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Anything you read about or by Kerry Thornley should be taken with a grain of salt. ANYTHING.... In that way he's like RAW, but much, much worse.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Reginald Ret

nice list  :wink:

Quote from: Cain on February 21, 2008, 12:36:15 PM

111.  The map is not the territory - that symbols are only useful in so far as they serve the actual purpose on the ground. Ideology is an imaginary solution to a real problem – an attempt to "live in the map".

If ideology is an attempt to live in the map, then realism is ignoring the map (and consequently walking in circles). I'm sick of these so called 'realists' trying to go through life without a goal and trying to convince others that they should also give up their ideals...... Grrrrrrr
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Verbal Mike

And I'm sick of people staring into an imaginary sky of ideals instead of looking where their goddamned feet are leading them. The difference between an upward curve and a circle is theoretical. The territory, unlike the map, never has such perfect forms. All lines are crooked, all circles imperfect.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Cainad (dec.)

And I'm sick of the way the two camps grow to despise each other so strongly that anyone in the middle is sneered at and considered an ignorant chump.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Cainad on May 10, 2008, 11:24:29 PM
And I'm sick of the way the two camps grow to despise each other so strongly that anyone in the middle is sneered at and considered an ignorant chump.
pffff chump.

you can't control where your feet are leading you if you don't know where you want to go... and for that you need a map, watch the map for planning where you are going and watch your feet to actually get there. happy now?
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Regret on May 10, 2008, 11:29:56 PM
Quote from: Cainad on May 10, 2008, 11:24:29 PM
pffff chump.

you can't control where your feet are leading you if you don't know where you want to go... and for that you need a map, watch the map for planning where you are going and watch your feet to actually get there. happy now?

NO, THAT REQUIRES CRITICAL THOUGHT AND SELF-EXAMINATION! :mad: Single-mindedness or GTFO!

Reginald Ret

REALITY DOES NOT EXIST!
THE GOAL IS EVERYTHING!
ACHIEVE THE IDEAL IN ONE STEP!
NOW GET OUT OF MY IVORY TOWER!

happy now?