News:

PD.com: Taoism in a clown costume.

Main Menu

Post your meatloaf recipes...

Started by Roo, April 12, 2008, 01:32:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roo

even if they're veggie-loaf.  :wink:

Little backstory: when I was a kid, I hated meatloaf. I thought it was vile stuff (sorry, mom). But in the last year or so, at the urging of my SO, I rediscovered this wonder that is a well-made meatloaf. But I'm still looking for the perfect recipe and I'm hoping some of you might be willing to help out.

Tonight, I made this version:

1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1 Tbls. worchester sauce
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. sage
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup BBQ sauce (Sweet Baby Ray's, this time)

Preheat oven to 350 F.
Mix all ingredients except BBQ sauce, shape into loaf (using loaf pan), and turn out onto sheet pan.
Spread BBQ sauce on top.
Bake uncovered for 1 hour (internal temp 160 F)
Let rest 5 minutes, and enjoy!

It was delicious...excellent, even. But not perfect. (the bf insists that a perfect meatloaf must contain celery :roll:)

So I'm inviting all of you to post your favorite meatloaf recipes. 
If you hate meatloaf, take your heresy elsewhere.  :argh!:
If you hate meat, then feel free to post the vegetarian equivilent (a veggie loaf?).
But if you really like loaf of meat, I'd like to see how you make it.

hunter s.durden

Mine is a shot of cheap Scotch in a Guinness.
This space for rent.

Sir Squid Diddimus

\
There's no bacon in that fucking recipe anywhere!

Nast

Meat? In loaf form?
I believe this is an Outside Context Problem.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Triple Zero

i have never had meatloaf, so i'm going to watch this thread.

the initial recipe sounds interesting, but i'll wait for some more. i can see where the celery would fit in, though, you don't need to use much, but a little will probably improve flavour somehow.

so, how do you eat this in a meal? serve a couple of slices with some vegetables/salad and potatoes?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Eve

I like putting some carrots and celery into my meatloaf, personally.

Quote from: triple zero on April 12, 2008, 09:42:04 AM
so, how do you eat this in a meal? serve a couple of slices with some vegetables/salad and potatoes?

You got it.
Emotionally crippled narcissist.

Triple Zero

ok just making sure it doesn't count as a meal in itself or something. in which case i'd put the potatoes inside the meatloaf. but then it'd probably fall apart.

and putting sauce on top to form a crust, that's .. interesting :D
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Anch

For extra awesome, try adding some minced pickles and minced bell peppers, and putting the whole loaf into a clay casserole dish. Makes it extra juicy, and if you take off the top for the last 5 minutes or so, you get a delicious crisp crust as well.
I usually omit pre-made sauce.
help I'm trapped in a online-personality-machine and can't escargh

Roo

Quote from: Cthulhu's Squidling on April 12, 2008, 06:56:36 AM
There's no bacon in that fucking recipe anywhere!

I know. Was kinda hoping someone would rectify that situation.

Bacon on top? Bacon cooked, crumbled and added to meat mixture? Other?

Roo

Quote from: triple zero on April 12, 2008, 10:33:13 AM
ok just making sure it doesn't count as a meal in itself or something. in which case i'd put the potatoes inside the meatloaf. but then it'd probably fall apart.

and putting sauce on top to form a crust, that's .. interesting :D

We had it last night with some mashed yams (or were they sweet potatoes...I'm not sure).

I have another recipe for Hamburger Pie, which is basically a shepard's pie (I think). Is good. Meat and green beans mixture on bottom, potatoes forming a top crust, topped with cheese. mmmmm.

The sauce on top definitely adds something. You could also use ketchup, but I haven't tried that yet.

Roo

Quote from: Mr. Anchovy on April 12, 2008, 04:22:01 PM
For extra awesome, try adding some minced pickles and minced bell peppers, and putting the whole loaf into a clay casserole dish. Makes it extra juicy, and if you take off the top for the last 5 minutes or so, you get a delicious crisp crust as well.
I usually omit pre-made sauce.
Sounds good....might try that sometime.

Do you have a good recipe for homemade BBQ sauce?

Anch

Quote from: Roo on April 12, 2008, 05:20:33 PM
Do you have a good recipe for homemade BBQ sauce?

Maybe I'm a bit of a purist, but if it is done right, served with an interesting salad and potates, I think additional sauce just distracts.
help I'm trapped in a online-personality-machine and can't escargh

Roo

Oh, I wasn't just referring to a BBQ sauce to put on the meatloaf, but any homemade BBQ sauce recipe.

TBH, though...I used to think that putting sauce on top was overkill, but it's really not. And for those of us that don't own a clay casserole dish (yet :wink:), it really does make a nice crust. I think part of the trick is to just use enough to lightly coat it...like a glaze.

Suu

I hate meatloaf. I hate the fucking concept of meatloaf. It's the most disgusting excuse for a meal ever concocted. It's for people too lazy to make burgers or Hamburger Helper. Yes, too fucking lazy to even make Hamburger Helper.

I hate it. It's horrible. I detest it. I detest it soo much I can't even eat a fucking burger without a bun or a salisbury steak because it IS meatloaf in patty form with no protective bun shielding me from the god awful IDEA of ground beef. Gravy? Fuck your gravy, fuck your ketchup. It does nothing to change the fact that you bought ground beef, added shit to it, put it back in a lump and THEN cooked it in the same shape that which you purchased it.

There is no salvation for meatloaf lovers. Only meatloaf hell.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: triple zero on April 12, 2008, 09:42:04 AM
i have never had meatloaf, so i'm going to watch this thread.

That's un-American!!!  ... oh wait
     \
:mullet:

Personally, I love meatloaf.  I grew up eating it about once a week.  My mom makes the best in the world, but I have no idea how she makes it.  I was going to post Alton Brown's meatloaf recipe when the wife reminded me that Paula Deen has a Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf recipe:

1 pound ground chuck
10 slices bacon (!!!), cooked and crumbled
1 (8-ounce) package sharp Cheddar, grated
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup bread crumbs, toasted
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/3 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
1 (3-ounce) can French fried onions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine the ground chuck and next 8 ingredients, mixing well.

In a small bowl, combine the ketchup and mustard. Stir 1/4 cup ketchup mixture into meat mixture, reserving remaining ketchup mixture.

Press meat mixture into a 9 by 5 by 3-inch loaf pan, or shape into a loaf and place on a rack in a broiler pan. Spread remaining ketchup mixture over loaf. Bake 40 minutes. Top with French fried onions; bake another 10 to 15 minutes, or until meat is no longer pink.

You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘