News:

Already planning a hunger strike against the inhumane draconian right winger/neoliberal gun bans. Gun control is also one of the worst forms of torture. Without guns/weapons its like merely existing and not living.

Main Menu

Cognitive Bias Bingo-PD Style!

Started by Jasper, April 23, 2008, 11:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

I think this should go in Think for Yourself, the main board.  Mind if I move it?

Jasper

Cain

Cool.  I also have a cognitive psychology reference guide, should anyone want a decent explanation of a disorder.

Golden Applesauce

I read a number of those a while back.  I've had that list bookmarked for maybe a month now, meaning to go back and read all of them but somehow never got around to it.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

e

QuoteReactance — the urge to do the opposite of what someone wants you to do out of a need to resist a perceived attempt to constrain your freedom of choice.

uh-oh.

I think the most interesting are Illusion of Control and Omission Bias

Jasper

I'm most amused by the:

Status quo bias — the tendency for people to like things to stay relatively the same.

Bu🤠ns

Jasper

tl;dr usually applies to bodies of text with excessive amounts of uninteresting filler that avert the reader due to the undesirable amount of concentration reading it takes.  This could be interpreted as a greater interest in content over delivery in readers of internet articles, or it could be seen as the degradation of the attention span of internet users.  It is largely left to public opinion to decide the cause of the tl;dr effect, as that scientific researchers have not received the necessary grants to move forward with research.  An article that is deemed tl;dr might contain erroneous or unnecessary pontification, or it might just not be broken up enough to seem un-challenging to the reader.  Other causes may be a tedious writing style, an irritating font, or lack of interest in the subject matter on the part of the reader.  In sum, tl;dr is something that you won't get from any other guy.  I just wanna tell you how I'm feeling.  Gotta make you understand.  Never gonna give you up, Never gonna let you down, Never gonna run around and desert you; Never gonna make you cry, Never gonna say goodbye, Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Felix on April 24, 2008, 08:49:13 AM
tl;dr usually applies to bodies of text with excessive amounts of uninteresting filler that avert the reader due to the undesirable amount of concentration reading it takes.  This could be interpreted as a greater interest in content over delivery in readers of internet articles, or it could be seen as the degradation of the attention span of internet users.  It is largely left to public opinion to decide the cause of the tl;dr effect, as that scientific researchers have not received the necessary grants to move forward with research.  An article that is deemed tl;dr might contain erroneous or unnecessary pontification, or it might just not be broken up enough to seem un-challenging to the reader.  Other causes may be a tedious writing style, an irritating font, or lack of interest in the subject matter on the part of the reader.  In sum, tl;dr is something that you won't get from any other guy.  I just wanna tell you how I'm feeling.  Gotta make you understand.  Never gonna give you up, Never gonna let you down, Never gonna run around and desert you; Never gonna make you cry, Never gonna say goodbye, Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you.
tl;dr

Reginald Ret

please replace or edit the current wiktionary: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/TLDR
it NEEDS this
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Cramulus

Quote from: Regret on May 10, 2008, 11:26:31 PM

please replace or edit the current wiktionary: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/TLDR
it NEEDS this

done

Golden Applesauce

Your edit only lasted 7 min.

Wow.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Jasper

Reginald Ret

but it was such a perfect explanation. on multiple levels even. wikimods =/= capable of metathinking
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"