News:

Several times a month, I will be in a store aisle reaching for something and feel a hand going up the inside of my thigh. When I turn around to find myself alone with a woman, and ask her if she would prefer me to hold still so she can get a better feel for the situation, oftentimes she will act "shocked" claiming nothing had happened, it must be somebody else...

Main Menu

BIP and impermanance

Started by Bu🤠ns, April 24, 2008, 09:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bu🤠ns

I'm sure this has been covered before and as a disclaimer: i take no credit for any of what follows as it's been stated ad infinitum for centuries.  i'm unaccountable like that.

regardless, i'm curious as to some of your takes on this.

as far as i've get it, understanding impermanance is a skillful method for teaching people who's (aparantly common) fundamental assumption about reality is that things are permanant.  my quick and general take on the BIP is basicly a way of analyzing our fundamental assumptions about reality and watching how they shape our thoughts, actions, perceptions etc. 

if we view our BIP through the filter of impermanance what, if anything, can we get out of it?  is its possible to maybe get a day-pass from our prison by stopping and appreciating the flux of life and finding happiness in the transitory nature of our experiences?

For example, by looking deeply at death of those close to us we can really appreciate these people in the present.  We get angry at those who we really cherish and it causes us to sometimes take them for granted. The anger eventually dies and we're left with possibly guilt or righteousness.... It seems to me that by recognising that I or my family might not be around as early as even the next moment that it adds to the value of my time with them. It really feels like it's the impermanance that allows us to love.

For awhile i considered that i might be able to make a jailbreak. but i wonder if thats really the best approach to the metaphor.  nirvana is in samsara/samsara is in nirvana, kether is in malkuth/malkuth in kether.  Maybe its not a matter of breaking free from prison but rather to feng shui the prison cell.  perhaps it might be more useful accepting our situation (whatever it is) and using the filters that work the best for our happiness (whatever they may be).

by taking our perceptions, thoughts and actions and realizing how really transitory they are we're able to let go of them to life's flux. why are discordians are forbidden to believe anythign we read? dogmatic reasons, sure. and also to get too caught up in any one idea for too long (perhaps even a moment) is grasping at smoke. 

AFK

Quote from: burnstoupee on April 24, 2008, 09:05:42 AM
  Maybe its not a matter of breaking free from prison but rather to feng shui the prison cell.  perhaps it might be more useful accepting our situation (whatever it is) and using the filters that work the best for our happiness (whatever they may be).

I think you pretty much nailed it here, from my point of view.  I've long held that you cannot escape the BIP, but then again I think my perception and conceptualization of BIP differs from many here.  If the BIP bars are made up of experiences, biology, and other environmental factors that inform who we are and how we are, then it would seem impossible to escape, short of death.

So I think what you've said here is crucial.  To recognize it for what it is and then find a way to make it work for you.  I think that's what the "jailbreak" is.  It's about finally being able to see the scenery and then figuring out where you want to go from there. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

I agree with RWHN.  Burns, it looks like you're building a pretty nice motorcycle; keep going with it.

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.