News:

If they treat education like a product, they can't very well bitch when you act like a consumer.

Main Menu

Where did all the militias go?

Started by Cain, April 30, 2008, 03:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

I suspect like many people on the forum around my age, my first real generational experience of politics was during the Clinton and Blair years in power.  Naturally, I'm not an American and Blair came in towards the end of the Clinton years (and lasted long beyond, more the shame), but in an increasingly American dominated media, culture and political environment, almost all our news not centered on the UK was American, so I feel I can speak with some sort of authority on the period.

While looking back now, the time seemed marked with general econonic prosperity and stability, hilarious attempts at unseating Clinton aside, and the tediousness of the "culture wars" that now seem almost quaint when compared to the Bush years, there is one element that has strangely been forgotten and overlooked, one that had a very real impact on American society and continues to do so today.

I mean, of course, the 'Patriot' movement, better known as the militias and various pseudo-constiutionalist Christian organizations, that abounded in the 90s.  Ah, those were the days....with guys like the Michigan Milita, the Montana Freemen, the Republic of Texas and so on, all peddling their insane conspiracy theories, openly advocating anti-government dissidence, stockpiling their guns and waiting for the invasion of the United Nations, proclaiming the End Times were upon us and that President Clinton and the Federal Government et al were agents of Satan.  They were almost an inverse version of Discordians, like what happened if someone read the first half of Illuminatus! and took the book seriously.

Don't you ever wonder, what happened to those guys?

Well, as it turns out, unsurprisingly, they weren't so much enemies of Government per se as they were enemies of secular neoliberal government.  With Clinton out of the picture, it turned less into an antigovernment movement into an antiliberal movement.

But where did all these guys end up, you ask?  After all, its not like they're marching around in their compounds talking about blowing up Congress, are they?  That's because their guys are in Congress.  They became an official part of the Republican party, and one of its most vocal elements.  Its a sordid and twisted tale, but I feel I should tell it.  After all, Americans have the right to know why their government is so blatantly crazy, and not to mention what they can expect should Obama (or maybe even McCain) becomes the next President.  Because these guys are nowhere near dead, oh no.  They're just far less visible now, and that makes them all the more dangerous.

The story starts, as so many of our current ones do, in the craziness that led up to the Presidential elections of 2000.  For a number of years now, right-wing commentators like Limbaugh. Coulter, the Fox News Crowd, Andrew Sullivan etc had been helping propogate these militia memes into more standard right-wing discourse.  There is nothing sinister about it, no conspiracy, its just an easy way of playing to both the more staid normal Republican crowd, as well as the batshit Patriot element that seemed to be growing in the face of economic depression in the midwest.

They did all the usual things, talked about government taxes being a form of illegal oppression, spread conspiracy theories about Clinton's doings, bashed the UN, attacked secular culture and tried to replace it with a Judeo-Christian one...all the things a Republican like Lincoln or even Eisenhower would abhor but now make up modern day Republican talking points.  Like I said, these memes are overwhelmingly Militia/Patriot/Christian Identity ones, but they were spread by a media intent on gaining as large as an audience as possible.

And the thing was...the less crazy corpratist core of the Republican party was in trouble.  Despite their hold on Congress and the Judiciary, they had failed twice now to stop Clinton.  1996 wasn't as important, Bob Dole was never going to win, regardless of how many people the Republicans appealed to, but 1992...well, that was a real kick in the teeth.  Ross Perot's gang had totally undermined Bush senior and handed Clinton the victory he needed.  And boy did that hurt.  As it turns out, many of what would later turn out to be supporters and sympathizers of the Patriot movement were in fact Perot and Reform party supporters as well.  Dissident Republicans such as Pat Buchanan and other paleoconservatives (who today like to pretend they are Really Real Libertarians) flocked to the Party and this movement had seriously weakened the base support the Republicans could have.  It also included far right elements from racist and aggressively nationalist organizations.

As it turned out, in 2000, Buchanan won their leadership competition to become Presidential candidate.  However, he massively upset the party base when he chose a black and female running partner.  I'm not sure which upset them more, but with Christian Identity theories prevalent, as well as more traditional ideas about the role of women in society, the base split off from the Reform Party....and found a willing host in the Republican party.  The ground had been prepared for them by the right-wing media, and the party needed the support to defeat Al Gore.

It was support Bush willingly accepted.  As the problems with the Florida election became more apparent, thugs from Don Black's Stormfront were taking part in pro-Bush protests and harassing Democratic party supporters, something Don Black himself was only too proud to boast about.  Equally, FreeRepublic goons helped shut down recounts and staged aggressive protests outside Gore's Florida residence throughout the debacle.  Neo-Nazi organizations spread fliers speaking in glowing terms about Bush, as their 'commander in chief'.  Bush also sought, and got support from Neoconfederates with his speech at Bob Jones University.  These Neoconfederates would go on to support such well known Republicans as Trent Lott.  Republicans in the mid-west made open alliances with such Patriot-esque groups.

Their support was further backed up by such figures as Jerry Falwell and the members of the Council for National Policy, who helped spread such ideas of Satanic government and the right of God's elect to rule America through evangelical circles, who had a long-standing tacit alliance with the Patriots.  So the circle was complete.  Corporatism, pseudo-Fascistic thuggery masquerading as anti-government sentiment and apocalyptic religious insanity were now combined under a single banner, that of the Grand Old Party.

And we can see that effect on government policy and political discourse today.  The barely fought against spread of these Patriot memes, which suggest liberals are the enemy and unworthy of having any power at all, have begun to influence the rhetoric of the party and the actions of its supporters.  On the ground, we have very limited but real political violence, often directed against anti-war and environmental protesters.  Intimidation is a fact of life for many of these people, and it is backed up by a network of 'Republican' blogs, run by people who have accepted their quasi-Patriot party as their own, and have no compunction about giving out names and addresses of activits, along with badly coded hints of violence to be directed against them.

The violent ones, the actual Patriots, are themselves a minority.  They probably make up no more than 4% of the total population, and even less are probably active Republican party members, let alone thuggish ones.  But they do not exist in a vaccuum, oh no.  They have support from the entire machinery of the GOP, who is terribly afraid of letting go of this solid base of voters, and they exist in the material and moral support many Republicans and rural areas give them.

So you want to know where the Patriots are now, those 'brave' and 'principled' if somewhat kooky and paranoid antigovernment organizations  They're the people calling for anti-war protestors to be hung, for liberals to exiled for treason, for Christian rulership and unending war in the Middle East.  Oh yes, they really, really hate government, those guys.

LMNO

Cain

The most worrying thing is that these militias are, their hilarious detatchment from reality aside, very pseudo-fascist in nature, and quite open to the idea of politically motivated violence.

As you know, I don't think Bush is a fascist.  But politically motivated violence by supporters of a ruling party, along with the beliefs of the Patriots (ultra-nationalism, antiliberalism, anticommunism, pro-violence, fear out immigrant outsiders etc) is a description of early stage fascism.  If they're not stomped on, or disowned, they will go out of their way to attack people who don't support their ideas or the ruling status quo, in ever increasing numbers.

Also, interestingly, it seems many of them are now part of the Minutemen groups patrolling the border, too.

Adios

Rednecks, fanatics, power, guns, alcohol. Shit, where do I sign up?

Vigilante movements are always scary.

Cramulus

These are the dangers of modern living.

There's always gonna be gun-toting crackpots. It's one of the things that makes America great - the crazy people don't just have clubs, they have guns. And once all those kooks get together, they become a demographic, and any significant demographic has power.

What's worrying is when the crazy things that those crackpots say, over time, starts to sound normal. Which is part of what makes this the Strange TimesTM. Society gets increasingly bewildering because every dog has his day, and today is the day of yeserday's moondogs. All the lunatic fringes join their voices together and they sound oddly "normal". They've been waiting for it, warming their beds up for the politicians, and now they've managed to seed themselves deep within groups of power.

It's only gonna get weirder, too. If they keep attacking mainstream politics, the fringe groups of today will have political power tomorrow. The Average Voter, moron that he is, will do his part to keep people like Ron Paul out of office. But nobody wants to keep Ron Paul's Money out of the system. Nobody wants to alienate that angry mob of dissident rondroids created by batshit promises and free moon pies. So they're gonna change the shape of their platform a bit to make room for the loons.

and it's only gonna keep getting weirder.
that's modernity for ya.

and these are the dangers of modern living.

Requia ☣

Since when was the government of the Clinton years even remotely liberal?  I mean, yeah Clinton, but also Newt Gingrich and company.

But then I only remember the politic of the 90s from history books.  So maybe I have a completely wrong impression.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Cain

Compared to now it most certainly is.   Of course, things have generally been going down hill for 30 odd years, but I'd have to say if you looked even at Bush Snr and Reagan, Clinton was certainly a more favourable individual then either of them...

Golden Applesauce

I didn't start being politically conscious until the Bush/Kerry '04 and a little later, so my experience with these militia groups has been limited to wow, those guys at Waco were morons alright, but don't you think that was kind of extreme for tax evasion?

And yes, the worrying thing is that that martial mentality has been normalized.  I see my friends joining Facebook groups like "If you're not behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" and think where have I seen this before?  Oh yeah, Cain's big list of fascist memes - pacifism = aiding and abetting the enemy.  OFUK.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on April 30, 2008, 03:21:22 PM
So you want to know where the Patriots are now, those 'brave' and 'principled' if somewhat kooky and paranoid antigovernment organizations  They're the people calling for anti-war protestors to be hung, for liberals to exiled for treason, for Christian rulership and unending war in the Middle East.  Oh yes, they really, really hate government, those guys.

Turns out they don't mind tyranny, so long as the tyranny is of their particular brand.

Meh.  All they ever really were, for the most part, were a bunch of fat insurance salesmen playing guns.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on April 30, 2008, 11:43:43 PM
I didn't start being politically conscious until the Bush/Kerry '04 and a little later, so my experience with these militia groups has been limited to wow, those guys at Waco were morons alright, but don't you think that was kind of extreme for tax evasion?

Stop hating America.

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on April 30, 2008, 11:43:43 PM
And yes, the worrying thing is that that martial mentality has been normalized.  I see my friends joining Facebook groups like "If you're not behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" and think where have I seen this before?  Oh yeah, Cain's big list of fascist memes - pacifism = aiding and abetting the enemy.  OFUK.

Welcome to the post-American century.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

tyrannosaurus vex

innocent question

isn't it a testament to the utter stupidity and shortsightedness of people who can see the looming disaster on the horizon, that they/we are not preparing (or even talking about preparing) an independent infrastructure/economy for distributing the goods, services and information that will be critical for maintaining any kind of survival (let alone resistance) when the shit really hits the fan?
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: vexati0n on May 01, 2008, 12:08:17 AM
innocent question

isn't it a testament to the utter stupidity and shortsightedness of people who can see the looming disaster on the horizon, that they/we are not preparing (or even talking about preparing) an independent infrastructure/economy for distributing the goods, services and information that will be critical for maintaining any kind of survival (let alone resistance) when the shit really hits the fan?

The Rapture is their exit strategy.

Dysnomia

Quote from: vexati0n on May 01, 2008, 12:08:17 AM
innocent question

yes it is.  Though I think a few are pulling together independent plans, like me.  I fully intend on ging tfo of here before the shit does hit the fan, and taking the horse with me.  Others though, like my parents...have no plan and will be thoroughly fucked...so yes, it is.

It's all fun and games, till someone gets herpes.

http://cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/122010/mow-the-lawn.gif

Requia ☣

My roommate and I have a full scale plan for surviving a zombie uprising.  Does that count for anything?    :lulz:
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Cramulus

Quote from: Requiem on May 01, 2008, 01:45:12 AM
My roommate and I have a full scale plan for surviving a zombie uprising.  Does that count for anything?    :lulz:

it means you are one of the chosen few

meet us in Vermont