News:

Bigotry is abound, apprently, within these boards.  There is a level of supposed tolerance I will have no part of.  Obviously, it seems to be well-embraced here.  I have finally found something more fucked up than what I'm used to.  Congrats. - Ruby

Main Menu

Cain: Book Question.

Started by LMNO, May 14, 2008, 04:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Would you happen to have a pdf of Tristram Shandy?

Just wondering.

LMNO

Looks like it.

Thanks!

Just heard about it on NPR - something about a comedy whose theme is that life is too complicated to be contained in a normal story. A piece of postmodernism, before there was even modernism - it was written in 1760.

e

Tristram Shandy is awesome.  Somebody made a movie out of it in recent years, BTW.   

QuoteThe book was adapted on film in 2006 as A Cock and Bull Story, directed by Michael Winterbottom, written by Frank Cottrell Boyce (credited as Martin Hardy, in a complicated metafictional twist), and starring Steve Coogan, Rob Brydon, Keeley Hawes, Kelly Macdonald, Naomie Harris, and Gillian Anderson. The movie plays with metatextual levels, being a movie pretending to be a documentary about a movie adaptation of the book, with various actors playing fictionalized versions of themselves.

I'm pretty certain it's also on gutenberg.org (your one-stop shop for old books) http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/1079

You may also enjoy "The Female Quixote", which is a silly little novel:

http://site.girlebooks.com/xs.php?page=ebooks_detail&siteid=223&lang=en&table=user_girlebooks&idx=0&iddetail=281  (for download in PDF, TXT, and LIT)

Cain

I've heard of it, but actually have not read it so far.

Of course, I have over 7000 books on my laptop currently, so this should not be too surprising.  I have reading material for the next decade.

e

Packrat syndrome is a dangerous thing.  Which I also have.

Cramulus

Quote from: Cain on May 14, 2008, 11:38:15 PM
I've heard of it, but actually have not read it so far.

Of course, I have over 7000 books on my laptop currently, so this should not be too surprising.  I have reading material for the next decade.

only a decade??

if you read 1.9 books per day it would last a decade

at the rate that I finish books, I'd be reading that collection until 2100, easy.  :p

Cain

I'm a quick reader.

I've also read about 6-800 of those.

Dido

Quote from: LMNO on May 14, 2008, 04:23:52 PM
Just heard about it on NPR - something about a comedy whose theme is that life is too complicated to be contained in a normal story. A piece of postmodernism, before there was even modernism - it was written in 1760.

sounds like the comments that made me read it. Reading it was one of the few things in my life that made me wonder if I shouldn't repent something or, more likely, everything.

Cain

If I recall right, the story follows a day in the life of the central character, but documents absolutely everything happening around him, in maddening detail.

Right?

Dido

Quote from: Cain on May 15, 2008, 11:54:53 AM
If I recall right, the story follows a day in the life of the central character, but documents absolutely everything happening around him, in maddening detail.

Right?

No.

Cain

Oops.  Must've been another book then.

e

Right?

Sounds like something out of Borges.

Cain

Quote from: TheStripèdOne on May 15, 2008, 06:25:27 PM

Right?

Sounds like something out of Borges.

It does, and maybe it is, but I'm sure a book along that line was written much earlier.

LMNO