News:

Mr Rogers is above all that nonsense.

Main Menu

Ex-vegan needs moar dairy

Started by NWC, May 17, 2008, 09:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWC

So I was a vegan for over 5 years, and I just downgraded to veggie about a month and a half ago. I've been going heavy into cheese and pancakes and that sort of thing, but I want more, MOAR.

I'm currently eating Doritos Collisions(it's pretty intense; two flavors - one bag), the hot wings/blue cheese blend. They're pretty awesome, after eating bland horseshit for 5 years, but I want to branch out.

I have a very, very low budget(my bank account is currently $-6.94, but measly paycheck coming soon), but I want to make up for all the that time without all the dairy goodness. I'm not big on swiss cheese, but other than that, I'm willing to try anything.

Any suggestions?

Also, I just have to say, the best part about not being a vegan anymore is that I don't have to tell people I'm a vegan. I was always a self-loathing vegan that would encourage others at a restaurant to order steak to make up for my lack of meat.
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED

Triple Zero

a Cordon Bleu has cheese in it, and is pretty good.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: NWC on May 17, 2008, 09:50:25 PM

I have a very, very low budget(my bank account is currently $-6.94, but measly paycheck coming soon), but I want to make up for all the that time without all the dairy goodness. I'm not big on swiss cheese, but other than that, I'm willing to try anything.

Any suggestions?

you can get some grilling steak for less then that
or some spiced pork chops
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

NWC

So I was a vegan for over 5 years, and I just downgraded to veggie about a month and a half ago.

I could never eat meat again, makes me sick

NWC

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on May 17, 2008, 10:18:42 PM

Any suggestions?

you can get some grilling steak for less then that
or some spiced pork chops

You can get steak for less than negative $6.94? I need to shop where you shop.

Roo

So I was a vegan for over 5 years, and I just downgraded to veggie about a month and a half ago. I've been going heavy into cheese and pancakes and that sort of thing, but I want more, MOAR.

I'm currently eating Doritos Collisions(it's pretty intense; two flavors - one bag), the hot wings/blue cheese blend. They're pretty awesome, after eating bland horseshit for 5 years, but I want to branch out.

Any suggestions?

Also, I just have to say, the best part about not being a vegan anymore is that I don't have to tell people I'm a vegan. I was always a self-loathing vegan that would encourage others at a restaurant to order steak to make up for my lack of meat.

Not quite sure what kind of suggestions you're looking for here...dairy products? dinner ideas? snack ideas? A welcome back to the world of sanity? :wink:

Sepia

go into a gourmet cheeseshop

tell them you represent someone in your town that's going to throw a cocktailparty, tell them she sent you to pick up some tasting because you were going over there to get drunk anyhow and giggle some and then they'll probably toss that cheese at you for free

if not, order anything that tastes much
Everyone will always be too late

NWC

Quote from: Guan Yin on May 17, 2008, 10:41:49 PM

Any suggestions?

Not quite sure what kind of suggestions you're looking for here...dairy products? dinner ideas? snack ideas? A welcome back to the world of sanity? :wink:

Haha all that pretty much. But I posted looking for suggestions on good dairy products, because I know absolutely nothing about them but love them immensely. I'm really liking port wine cheddar(just eating it straight), pancakes, and not having to solemnly say "no cheese" when I order a veggie sandwich.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I fucking love cheese. Cheese is like a God unto me, as Bacon is the Son and Wine is the Holy Ghost, so is Cheese the Father all-seeing. Cheese is the one thing that separates man from animal; cheese, and tables.

To start:
Brie de Meaux
Cana de Cabra
Taleggio
Stilton

With the Taleggio and the Stilton especially, note the subtle cheese euphoria after partaking. Be careful not to become addicted; it is a very expensive habit, and hard to kick.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

When you are ready, we will discuss the making of so-called "bathtub cheese". It is, of course, illegal, but well worth the risks.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jasper

Wait, making cheese is illegal?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Only if you get caught and they can show intent to sell.

Triple Zero

i second the stilton. MMM GWGAAGARRRRRR STILTON. preferably pure pieces (or on small toasts), with a good full-bodied strong red wine.

also, for uber cheesiness, make a cheese fondue! it's quite easy, just get a load of cheese (i usually use aged Gouda, because it's relatively cheap here, but i think Swiss cheese is more traditional, and often i see recipes using 3 or more different kinds of cheese, but i dont quite see the point of that TBH), melt it together with white wine (important) and milk (a littlebit) and possibly some spices (nutmeg, black pepper, chives? use yr imagination) -- then dip *whatever* in it, french toast (toasted), broccoli (nuked very shortly), cauliflower (raw), paprika (raw), etc.

does egg count as a new thing you will eat from now on? because with egg and cheese, you can enter the wonderful world of QUICHE. look up a recipe for Quiche Lorraine first (sub something for the bacon, like golden brown fried mushrooms or something), and then expand from there (broccoli, zucchini, olives). fried leek + goat cheese is also a really good combo (you need to fry the leek first, because it won't cook enough in the oven--also for the meat eaters, this recipe should include cubes of cooked ham)

what about gelatine? ok it's made from dead animal, but it's as much of a by-product as you can get. if you think you're up for gelatine, tell me and maybe we can figure something out, because i think using gelatine, you can make a proper stew without meat. who knows, perhaps pectine (which is vegetable) would actually work. i'd have to try, but personally i like cooking ligaments until they turn into gelatine ;-)

milk things:
- smoothies. that is, blender + milk/yoghurt + fruit. banana, strawberries and canned peaches are really good.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

Also, you can now add FETA to your salads.

I highly suggest doing so.

NWC

Quote from: LMNO on May 19, 2008, 07:19:38 PM
Also, you can now add FETA to your salads.

I highly suggest doing so.

I just had feta for the first time yesterday, I just ate it straight. Jesus shit it is amazing.

I'm going yes on eggs and no on gelatin, pretty much. I won't eat scrambled eggs or any of that just because it would make me nauseous, but eggs as an ingredient are ok. I've actually been talking to my S.O. about quiche lately, she is the self-proclaimed goddess of it. I'm going to wait to try hers before I attempt to make one, fail miserably, and hold a grudge against the concept.