News:

There are no innocents, only the squeamish and the aroused.

Main Menu

Summery potato salad

Started by Jasper, May 20, 2008, 02:52:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

all the ingredients are discretionary in amounts, but here it is

Sour Cream
Artichokes
Red Potatoes
Cherry tomatoes
Summer squash
Dill
Mustard powder
Beer
Spring salad mix
White onion
Salt

Pretty basic potato salad, but instead of a bunch of dairy you scrape off all the artichoke leaves into a bowl and blend it up with the sour cream and use that as the dressing.  I also sauteed the onions separately in beer, oil, and dill, and steamed the summer squash very lightly so it didn't turn to mush.

Jenne

This recipe is win, thanks, Felix!

Jasper

It just came to me when I was asked to make artichoke tapenade.

Darth Cupcake

This sounds delicious and I intend to make it.

But could you also post recipe for artichoke tapenade?

-DC
Lurves les artichauds :D
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Jasper

I never ended up making the tapenade, I made this instead.  :lol:

Darth Cupcake

Ooh. Okay.

I suppose I shall just have to find my own tapenade recipe! :p

Jasper

It shouldn't challenge you.

Here, try this:

Scrape off two boiled artichokes (or ooh, if you're up to it and experimentative try scraping them off fresh and then pan-frying the meat in butter!)

*ahem*, anyways,

Take your 'choke scrapings, some olive oil, and probably some finely chopped fresh herbs, like thyme or rosemary, and blend it all up.  It's easy to take a tapenade too far though, so use a light touch when blending it.  Maybe even just chop it together first, then blend it only a little.

You could put it into some sort of dairy matrix to hold it together too, but then it'd be more like some variety of mayo crap to me, so I wouldn't.  Maybe sour cream or cream cheese thinned out by a little lemon juice...

Anyway, there you have it.

Sir Squid Diddimus

heh heh ... choke scrapings

sorry.

Darth Cupcake

I'll scape your choke, young lady!
  \
:argh!:

Sir Squid Diddimus

Jenne

K, this will be made too.  With some small alterations, perhaps.

Damn...I'm hungry for lunch and it's 932 my time.  Fuck these east-coast-based shifts!  :(

Jenne

Quote from: Felix on May 20, 2008, 10:02:49 PM
It shouldn't challenge you.

Here, try this:

Scrape off two boiled artichokes (or ooh, if you're up to it and experimentative try scraping them off fresh and then pan-frying the meat in butter!)

*ahem*, anyways,

Take your 'choke scrapings, some olive oil, and probably some finely chopped fresh herbs, like thyme or rosemary, and blend it all up.  It's easy to take a tapenade too far though, so use a light touch when blending it.  Maybe even just chop it together first, then blend it only a little.

You could put it into some sort of dairy matrix to hold it together too, but then it'd be more like some variety of mayo crap to me, so I wouldn't.  Maybe sour cream or cream cheese thinned out by a little lemon juice...

Anyway, there you have it.

K, I'm doing this today.  :D

Jasper

Cool, thanks for listening!  I want to hear all about the results. :)

Jenne

I have some green olives beggin' to be used for something--so it will be arteechokes n green olives tapenade.  If it doesn't suck, it will be going to a wine-tasting party along with some edamame tonight.  (edamame to be served separately, of course)