News:

Yeah, fuckface! Get ready to be beaten down. Grrr! Internet ain't so safe now is it motherfucker! Shit just got real! Bam!

Main Menu

Lollercaust Repository

Started by tyrannosaurus vex, May 23, 2008, 06:23:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on June 19, 2008, 03:26:47 PM
I really like it. The text size is about right, and the dingbats really do help the readability.

It's an idea I stole from way better graphic designers.

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on June 19, 2008, 03:26:47 PM
I would prefer to see the "By Hoopla" relocated somewhere else, as the author credit kind of decreases the "punchline" / oomph at the end of the text. It's distracting.

Agreed.

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on June 19, 2008, 03:26:47 PMI'm liking the one piece per page. It really makes you focus in on that piece and digest it (rather than going on to another adjacent parable). I'd like to peruse a PDF with two pieces per page, perhaps?

I'll try some with 2-3 per page.

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on June 19, 2008, 03:26:47 PMThis is a really exciting way to Get The Word Out. This is the sort of thing that if I found on a train, I'd pocket it, take it home, and paste it into my scrapbook.

:D
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Quote from: LMNO on June 19, 2008, 03:29:06 PM
Question:  How do you compile this into a pamphlet?

If "this" refers to the letter size page, you'd just staple them, or use a hole punch and twine, or japanese book binding.

Also, I'm trying to avoid a situation where people have to figure out the confusing matter of printing a double sided, folding booklet. Less hoops to jump through, etcetera.

And there's a bit of a problem tying all these together in a visual sense. They're all very different styles, dealing with very different topics, so I'm thinking I might as well play that up by putting them on separate pages.

Quote from: triple zero on June 19, 2008, 04:34:11 PM
the letters of the bright one are still readable at A4, just very tiny :) now, you know layout better than me, but the margins between the blocks of text seem a bit uneven? especially around the history of Cybin piece.

I think it probably will look much cleaner when I even out the margins.

The funk is strong in that version. Wait til you see the developed version, it's even funkier.

The biggest problem I've identified with the "poster" concept, besides it requiring the viewer to move it around in space, is that it costs about 5 bucks a pop to print a 2 x 3 foot black and white poster in small runs.

the sisyphus one, margin on the bottom edge seems a tad cramped. same for the top-right diagonal one.

It is a bit cramped. I could fix that pretty easily.

also the bottom edge is a few tens of degrees out of alignment with the page borders.

Good eyes, sir.

Another easy fix.

i don't like the blocky title font for "Modern Sisyphus"

pffff well that's all i can do. as you can see i'm stretching and nitpicking :)

This is good. I'd like everybody to feel comfortable picking nits.

I thought someone would mention that. It's a pixel font that's designed only for computer screens and only at a specific size. It was an outlandish thing for me to do, and it's been done before, but the idea was to reference the interwebs.

And that's the main sticking point for me. How to tie in the internet in a compelling way. Just using a pixel font probably is a bit of a cop out. But maybe we need to call it something else, because the content doesn't seem to reference the internet enough to justify calling it the lollercaust.

Here is the aforementioned developed poster idea with all the Lollercaust writings on it, and at a comfortable reading size. I know it's not practical, but I had to get it out of my system.

2x3 ft.

Now I can get down and dirty with the booklet—please stand by.

LMNO

Mangrove

Quote from: LMNO on June 19, 2008, 08:46:03 PM
That looks beautiful.

Agreed.

If it were possible to make a couple of those, even at that huge size, it'd be worth it. Imagine standing somewhere next to a Coke machine and seeing this beauty plastered to the side?

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

LMNO

Who was it that had access to large-size printing?

AFK

I'm pretty sure it was Mourning_Star. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mangrove

Quote from: R.W.H.N? on June 19, 2008, 09:02:44 PM
I'm pretty sure it was Mourning_Star. 

Didn't he lose said access shortly after acquiring it?
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Payne

Net, that is filled with wondrous beauty.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

AWESOME

I must find a very large printer... STAT!
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

:thanks:

I'm flattered.

Minor edits have been made, so if you want a slightly less funky version click the image again.

Verbal Mike

That is unfathomably purdy.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Nast

"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Triple Zero

Quote from: Netaungrot on June 19, 2008, 06:14:52 PM
The funk is strong in that version. Wait til you see the developed version, it's even funkier.

definitely.

QuoteThe biggest problem I've identified with the "poster" concept, besides it requiring the viewer to move it around in space, is that it costs about 5 bucks a pop to print a 2 x 3 foot black and white poster in small runs.

well, there's another thing that just came to mind.

because half the texts are rotated or upside-down, the reader needs to turn and move the paper. which is a cool idea because it increases the interaction.

but if the paper is 2x3' and hanging on a wall, how are they going to read the upside-down texts? you can't really expect them to turn their neck, no matter how cool the text content, it's annoying.

also the bottom edge is a few tens of degrees out of alignment with the page borders.

Good eyes, sir.

Another easy fix.

i noticed because i saw some tiny staircase pixels in my printout.

Quote from: triple zero on June 19, 2008, 04:34:11 PMI thought someone would mention that. It's a pixel font that's designed only for computer screens and only at a specific size. It was an outlandish thing for me to do, and it's been done before, but the idea was to reference the interwebs.

And that's the main sticking point for me. How to tie in the internet in a compelling way. Just using a pixel font probably is a bit of a cop out. But maybe we need to call it something else, because the content doesn't seem to reference the internet enough to justify calling it the lollercaust.

i mostly don't like the way it's not very readable if the blocks are that big. maybe a bit more detailed block font would be better.

on the other hand, pixel blocks remind me of the C64, old arcade games and BBS ASCII art, not the internets.

we don't have block fonts on the internets, much.

you'd get closer by using the "white rabbit" font (or something similar) a kind of rounded terminal style font reminiscent of the Matrix.

or, how about this idea: make the title a hyperlink (so, underline it) and point your mouse pointer at it, so it turns into the little hand-icon (make sure to get the default Windows one for optimal recognizability), take a screenshot of that and blow it up to show the pixels.

instant internets feeling!
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.