News:

It is our goal to harrass and harangue you ever further toward our own incoherent brand of horse-laugh radicalism.

Main Menu

Introduction to the BIP

Started by Cramulus, June 11, 2008, 05:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

Triple Zero and I are working on the Et Cetera Discordia, the book composed of stuff submitted at the Discordian Cyberspace Masquerade. We're including the "Bare Minimum BIP" document penned by the SSOOKN, but we think it'd be best if we had some sort of short lead-in which describes where the BIP idea came from. To people unfamilliar with the concept, I think it's helpful to explain the motivation and background that prompted that flurry of thought.

Does anyone feel up to writing a one or two paragraph submission?

AFK

How soon do you need it? 

eta:  Because I know I've done a few summaries here and there and so if you give me a day or two I can put something together. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cramulus

Day or two would be just fine.

We were hoping you'd like to do it, because we know you were at the party.  :wink:

AFK

Alright.  I will have something up here by Friday.  Then LMNO and others can give it a once over and make sure I didn't miss anything. 

Mangrove

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on June 11, 2008, 05:09:22 PM
Triple Zero and I are working on the Et Cetera Discordia, the book composed of stuff submitted at the Discordian Cyberspace Masquerade. We're including the "Bare Minimum BIP" document penned by the SSOOKN, but we think it'd be best if we had some sort of short lead-in which describes where the BIP idea came from. To people unfamilliar with the concept, I think it's helpful to explain the motivation and background that prompted that flurry of thought.

Does anyone feel up to writing a one or two paragraph submission?

Cool.

LMNO & I collaborated on 'Bare Minimum BIP'. I considered it to be a companion piece to his original 'hey kid, take a look around' bit.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

AFK

Welcome to the Prison,

It was the year 2006.  I imagine it was another initiate to the principiadiscordia.com realm that started it all by saying something like, "Well, if you guys are so tired of the Principia Discordia, why don't you guys write something!"  Well, maybe it wasn't exactly like that, but it sounds nice so I'll go with it.  What's important is that a bunch of us got to the point where we decided it was time for us to take a stab at this Discordia thing.  And so, the project was dubbed "PD06".  There was a feeling amongst many at pd.com that while the subject matter of the PD was still important, the jokes were, by now, quite old and stale.  We were interested in boilng down some of the ideas and putting them in a form where younger generations of Discordians could grasp onto them.  (It's generally not advised to grab ANYTHING that is boiling.  Turn your handles in.)  We decided to circle around this idea of the Black Iron Prison that we had been discussing.  LMNO's intro piece about the BIP really set the tone for what would follow.

And so we were off.  Some people wrote new things, some found old things and added new bits to it.  The inspiration was quite catchy and in a matter of days we had a pamphlet's worth of material.  The next step was to put it together into a sexy and attractive package.  The ever-crafty LMNO sacrificed his lunch hour to put it together and thus The Black Iron Prison:  Discordia Revisited was born.  Rev. St. Syn, KSC added an attention-grabbing graphic to the cover and it was released to the masses.  Since it's completion we've continued to discuss various philosophies and ideas within the Black Iron Prison framework.  Indeed, yours truly started up a forum dedicated to the Black Iron Prison subject matter.  But it went kerplooey and so it now resides as a part of PrincipiaDiscordia.com.  Professor Cramulus has since re-edited the pamphlet into a second version.  Both versions, along with the other Black Iron Prison project materials, can be found at our wiki, which you can locate by directing your browser to www.blackironprison.com 

And that's how it all went.  I think.  Toodles. -- Reverend What's-His-Name?

If it's too long let me know and I can try to pare it down. 

edited. 

Verbal Mike

I like. Very tight writing there.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

AFK

Cramulus

yeah - quite nice. Exactly what we're looking for. Thanks Rev!

AFK

Happy to oblige.  Now, when we do the press junkets, I will demand that there be a 6-pack of Yoo-Hoo at all of the book signings.  Otherwise, I will throw a legendary hissy-fit, and probably break things too. 

Triple Zero

1. RWHN: :mittens: as Cram said, exactly what we were looking for. I had forgotten about the "PD06" thing, that it was called that at first. good stuff!

2. Mang: the Bare Minimum BIP is definitely going in, it will be one of the first articles, because a lot of PD-originated writings mention the BIP so it's important to introduce it.

But we felt it would be nice to also include an introduction as to how the BIP got to be, because it's such a nice story and it kind of makes the thing fall less out of thin air, if you get my idea.

I got a friend of mine, who's looking for a new online "homebase", as Barbelith is going down, with whom I'm going layout the thing. I can't do that kind of stuff when I'm sitting alone at my computer, but he's in for it. I got good hopes he'll show up at PD sooner or later.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mangrove

Cram + 000

:scrittens:

Glad I finally produced something useable for once.

I'm looking forward to seeing Etc Discordia.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.