News:

If it quacks like a sociopath, but also ponders its own sociopathy, it's probably just an asshole.

Main Menu

Honor in Humility

Started by AFK, June 19, 2008, 06:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

We can never see eye to eye if we never admit to ourselves that our visions contain blind spots. 

We each can see pieces of truth.
Pieces we accumulate as we navigate our Paths, in our Sphere of Possbility. 
As we pursue the honorable pursuit of living life to its fullest.

Where things get fucked up is when we take our pieces and hammer them together to form The Picture. 
Not taking into consideration that our blind spots have missed pieces along the way.
Pieces that others may have been able to see, and picked up along their Path. 

We know that our Paths intersect and merge in various locations. 
It is at these meeting places where we can pick up additional navigational coordinates.
By simply asking to see the others' pieces of truth.
To have the humility to recognize that a collective pursuit of progress requires partnerships. 
And that we each will have different clues for the course. 

Far too often, however...

...we ignore...

and so...we diverge from a useful unity tackling the unknown...

...and carry on to what certainly will be dead ends.

"I don't know" is a statement of strength, not weakness.
It is an acknowledgement of needing more input.  The weakness would be ignoring other insights for further information.
We should always want to know more, about that which surrounds us.  And about where it is we are going. 

There is Honor in Humility.  For in the end, it will help us on our way. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: R.W.H.N? on June 19, 2008, 06:00:49 PM
We can never see eye to eye if we never admit to ourselves that our visions contain blind spots. 

We each can see pieces of truth.
Pieces we accumulate as we navigate our Paths, in our Sphere of Possbility. 
As we pursue the honorable pursuit of living life to its fullest.

Where things get fucked up is when we take our pieces and hammer them together to form The Picture. 
Not taking into consideration that our blind spots have missed pieces along the way.
Pieces that others may have been able to see, and picked up along their Path. 

We know that our Paths intersect and merge in various locations. 
It is at these meeting places where we can pick up additional navigational coordinates.
By simply asking to see the others' pieces of truth.
To have the humility to recognize that a collective pursuit of progress requires partnerships. 
And that we each will have different clues for the course. 

...we ignore...

"I don't know" is a statement of strength, not weakness.
It is an acknowledgement of needing more input.  The weakness would be ignoring other insights for further information.
We should always want to know more, about that which surrounds us.  And about where it is we are going. 

:mittens: :mittens: :mittens: :mittens: :mittens: :mittens: :mittens: :mittens: :mittens: :mittens:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Payne

...we ignore...

It's funny cause it's true.

I'm aware that the only project I've ever really gotten involved in isn't dead yet, it's just on a back burner. The only developments I made on it were kick started by discussions with yourself, Mangrove, LMNO and LHX (maybe a few others, it's been a while)

But I reached a dead end on it because there was no further collaboration to be had.

This isn't quite what you're saying, I think, but it's close. The only significant difference is that I know that I'll pick it up again at some point, where you seem to be saying that definite "conclusions" that are reached in this way are bound to be philosophical dead ends, and prone to being wrong.

:mittens:

AFK

To be clear, this wasn't a commentary on PD.COM 

Just human progress in general. 

But to your point, I think the point is as long as we are questioning, and questioning with others, we will at least be moving towards something.  Who knows, maybe together we end up in a dead end anyway.  But at least you've got company right? 

Oi, that sounds very hippyish doesn't it?

Like, I know the U.S. government isn't prone to this sort of thinking, but one has to imagine if the Bush administration actually listened to more voices when it was planning its War on Terror if things would've turned out differently.  He listened to the people who would agree that the Picture he hammered together, from the pieces he had, made sense.  It was like he had a 100 piece puzzle but he really only had 10 pieces.  So he just replicated those 10 pieces 10 times, and then mashed them until they fit together.  And look where that shit got us.  But when it comes to the federal government that kind of humility isn't allowed to exist because it is viewed as a weakness. 

I personally would rather have seen Bush say "I don't know" and ask Congress and others for input.  But far more seemed content believing his picture was complete.  How could he be wrong?  He's the fuckin President of the United States right?  Gah!  Gah!  I say!

Daruko

We can't elect someone who doesn't KNOW what they're doing!  We need a DIRECTIVE for chrissakes!  We need a PLAN, and someone who can STICK with that plan...  Someone who will not waiver from that course NO MATTER WHAT! 

If we elect someone who doubts themself, then you know what we get?  DO YUO?!  We get one of those god-damned bloody flip-flopping liberals that want to run this country into the ground!  Changing their minds, this way and that... these freak liberals don't even know what they're doing!

That's why we need someone who KNOWS what's what, and KNOWS what we're gonna DO about it!   

:gop:

Daruko

LMNO

[colbert]
What the president believes on Monday, the president will believe on Friday... no matter what happens on Tuesday through Thursday!
[/colbert]

Iason Ouabache

:mittens: A pretty good summation of the concept of scientific peer-review whether you intended it or not.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

AFK

Well, I didn't, but you're right, it does apply.  Really, any problem-solving scenario. 

Thurnez Isa

Just because Im the best person in the world doesn't mean Im not humble
8)

good job RWHN

try adding your political commentary to the OP...
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

The Good Reverend Roger

I have made a policy of employing utter stupidity.  It works.

I prefer a monstrous ego.  It doesn't help anything, but I gotta be me.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Daruko on June 19, 2008, 07:44:27 PM
We can't elect someone who doesn't KNOW what they're doing!  We need a DIRECTIVE for chrissakes!  We need a PLAN, and someone who can STICK with that plan...  Someone who will not waiver from that course NO MATTER WHAT! 

If we elect someone who doubts themself, then you know what we get?  DO YUO?!  We get one of those god-damned bloody flip-flopping liberals that want to run this country into the ground!  Changing their minds, this way and that... these freak liberals don't even know what they're doing!

That's why we need someone who KNOWS what's what, and KNOWS what we're gonna DO about it!   

:gop:

:lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.