News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

The Periodic Table of Videos

Started by Iason Ouabache, July 19, 2008, 07:55:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iason Ouabache

http://www.periodicvideos.com/#

Interesting site from the University of Nottingham.  They do a short video on every single element.  I haven't watched all of them yet but the ones I have watched were interesting.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Raphaella

:lulz:

Did you watch the one about Mercury? Who would want to take it, and what the hell would you do with it when you got it home?  :x
The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and terrible OZ

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Raphaella VonMercer on July 22, 2008, 02:09:42 PM

Did you watch the one about Mercury? Who would want to take it, and what the hell would you do with it when you got it home?  :x
But liquid metal is awesome to play with!!!
    \

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"It used to be used in the UK to make hats"  :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

PeregrineBF

Cesium is an awesome metal. Liquid at 27C. Melts with body heat, and very, very reactive.

Raphaella

Yes Cesium is a wonderful gold color, but I love the way he strokes that ampule  :oops: makes me hot for Cesium.
The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and terrible OZ

Cramulus

I've really been enjoying this videos. Thanks for the post, Jason!

Vene

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on July 22, 2008, 06:20:05 PM

Yes, yes it is.  In chem lab this past year one of the students broke a mercury thermometer.  Luckily it fell into a beaker.  That shit was absolutely memorizing.  You know what else is fun?  Playing with dry ice.

Raphaella

Small amounts are fun to play with, I have a small amount in glass that came out of our old thermostat. It really is quite memorizing. 

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Vene on July 23, 2008, 09:39:24 PM

Yes, yes it is.  In chem lab this past year one of the students broke a mercury thermometer.  Luckily it fell into a beaker.  That shit was absolutely memorizing.  You know what else is fun?  Playing with dry ice.
Hell yes!!  I get to play with it every once in awhile at work. (I have to check the shipments of CO2 when they come in).  It's fun to put some in a bottle with a tiny bit of water and then watch it explode.  :evilmad:
    \

Iason Ouabache

Just now watched the Sodium video.  Hilarious!  They enjoyed playing with it a little too much.
    \

Vene

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on July 24, 2008, 05:44:00 AM
Quote from: Vene on July 23, 2008, 09:39:24 PM

Hell yes!!  I get to play with it every once in awhile at work. (I have to check the shipments of CO2 when they come in).  It's fun to put some in a bottle with a tiny bit of water and then watch it explode.  :evilmad:
*note to self: don't piss off the chemists*
They can blow you up...

with ice!

PeregrineBF

You can get dry ice at most any ice cream store... Liquid nitrogen at any welding supplies place.

Iason Ouabache

\

Iason Ouabache

They actually took a trip to the Ytterby quarry in Sweden to see where yttrium (Y), ytterbium (Yb), terbium (Tb), erbium (Er), gadolinium (Gd), holmium (Ho), and thulium (Tm) were all first discovered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9QmVM536Ks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUCNoxEdiAk
:fap:
    \