News:

It is our goal to harrass and harangue you ever further toward our own incoherent brand of horse-laugh radicalism.

Main Menu

Weekly Science Headlines

Started by Kai, July 30, 2008, 10:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Quote from: Ixxie on September 04, 2013, 09:21:50 AM
you guys read slashdot right?

No. I get my science news from a combination of the Sigma Xi email updates, Ed Yong's Not Exactly Rocket Science and other blogs, and podcasts such as Star Talk with NdG Tyson. Milling around a news site with a rated commenting system is not something I have time for.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Kai on September 04, 2013, 02:45:33 PM
Quote from: Ixxie on September 04, 2013, 09:21:50 AM
you guys read slashdot right?

No. I get my science news from a combination of the Sigma Xi email updates, Ed Yong's Not Exactly Rocket Science and other blogs, and podcasts such as Star Talk with NdG Tyson. Milling around a news site with a rated commenting system is not something I have time for.

Once upon a time slashdot was great news for nerds... now it occasionally has gems hidden in the repeat of what all other science/tech/geek sites are alreayd reporting on, or have reported on weeks ago.

I weep for the days of CmdrTaco, grits down peoples pants and Ms Portman... :D
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Nephew Twiddleton

Slash dot. Thats the thing where if i use it on an onion the skin comes right off and i can stop having a boring life yeah?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Salty

Ooops.

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/mediacentre/news/2013/sep/13_172.shtml

Surely, we understand brain chemistry and structure enough to add MOAR PILLS to make it all better.

Surely.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Alty on September 27, 2013, 02:40:22 AM
Ooops.

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/mediacentre/news/2013/sep/13_172.shtml

Surely, we understand brain chemistry and structure enough to add MOAR PILLS to make it all better.

Surely.

Greeeaaaat.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Telarus

Consequences of Erudite Vernacular Utilized Irrespective
of Necessity: Problems with Using Long Words Needlessly

DANIEL M. OPPENHEIMER*
Princeton University, USA

http://www.ucd.ie/artspgs/semantics/ConsequencesErudite.pdf

:lulz:                   ^^^^ ART SPGS?!?!
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Telarus on September 29, 2013, 08:52:43 PM

DANIEL M. OPPENHEIMER*

Oh that's lovely!  :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

minuspace

Quote from: Mean Mister Nigel on September 30, 2013, 12:18:26 AM
Quote from: Telarus on September 29, 2013, 08:52:43 PM

DANIEL M. OPPENHEIMER*

Oh that's lovely!  :lulz:
Not ass much [as] an anoptorectomy  :lulz: (sorry, just celebrating my (gradually less incessant) return)

Salty

Salty

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This is SO COOL!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/11/131101172313.htm

QuoteIt was once thought that each cell in a person's body possesses the same DNA code and that the particular way the genome is read imparts cell function and defines the individual. For many cell types in our bodies, however, that is an oversimplification. Studies of neuronal genomes published in the past decade have turned up extra or missing chromosomes, or pieces of DNA that can copy and paste themselves throughout the genomes.

The only way to know for sure that neurons from the same person harbor unique DNA is by profiling the genomes of single cells instead of bulk cell populations, the latter of which produce an average. Now, using single-cell sequencing, Salk Institute researchers and their collaborators have shown that the genomic structures of individual neurons differ from each other even more than expected. The findings were published November 1 in Science.

"Contrary to what we once thought, the genetic makeup of neurons in the brain aren't identical, but are made up of a patchwork of DNA," says corresponding author Fred Gage, Salk's Vi and John Adler Chair for Research on Age-Related Neurodegenerative Disease.

minuspace

Quote from: Alty on November 02, 2013, 08:56:58 PM
This is good for me to know, I am fascinated by the placebo effect.

http://m.medicalxpress.com/news/2013-10-mind-gray-placebo-pleasure-pain.html
Wait, I know what's going on...  You 86'd my stash  :lol:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 02, 2013, 09:27:17 PM
This is SO COOL!

QuoteIt was once thought that each cell in a person's body possesses the same DNA code and that the particular way the genome is read imparts cell function and defines the individual. For many cell types in our bodies, however, that is an oversimplification. Studies of neuronal genomes published in the past decade have turned up extra or missing chromosomes, or pieces of DNA that can copy and paste themselves throughout the genomes.

The only way to know for sure that neurons from the same person harbor unique DNA is by profiling the genomes of single cells instead of bulk cell populations, the latter of which produce an average. Now, using single-cell sequencing, Salk Institute researchers and their collaborators have shown that the genomic structures of individual neurons differ from each other even more than expected. The findings were published November 1 in Science.

"Contrary to what we once thought, the genetic makeup of neurons in the brain aren't identical, but are made up of a patchwork of DNA," says corresponding author Fred Gage, Salk's Vi and John Adler Chair for Research on Age-Related Neurodegenerative Disease.

That certainly explains a lot.

:lulz:

CAN'T HELP IT.  MY DNA IS ALL FUCKED UP.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

minuspace

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 03, 2013, 05:04:03 AM
Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 02, 2013, 09:27:17 PM
This is SO COOL!

That certainly explains a lot.

:lulz:

CAN'T HELP IT.  MY DNA IS ALL FUCKED UP.
NO, LOOKY HERE!
You are an independent, beautifully unique and perfect snowflake.  Take responsibility for your misanthropy because now you understand that the manufacturer is not liable for any production flaws.  Also, you were given plenty of time to adapt to this certified lack of a guarantee  :lulz:

Salty