Where Everybody Knows You're Lame. 

Main Menu

Weekly Science Headlines

Started by Kai, July 30, 2008, 10:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Alty on October 03, 2013, 05:04:20 AM
http://www.douglas.qc.ca/news/1222?locale=en&utm_medium=referral&utm_

GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE! NAO! WHERE ARE THE PILLZ ALREADY?
Not pills, certain types of light. Nighlight is about to take on a new meaning.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Speaking of gut bacteria

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/11/18/244526773/gut-bacteria-might-guide-the-workings-of-our-minds

I haven't really had time to check it out thoroughly yet. The first guy they talk about sounds legit, but when I get to the autism/probiotics guy my red flags start a-waving.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

PS my personal advice for building your microbes is eat lots of raw organic/wild fruits and vegetables, eat pickles, and don't be afraid to put things in your mouth. People are way too freaky about dirt.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 21, 2013, 03:22:00 AM
PS my personal advice for building your microbes is eat lots of raw organic/wild fruits and vegetables, eat pickles, and don't be afraid to put things in your mouth. People are way too freaky about dirt.

Gonna try putting an impact wrench in my mouth tomorrow.  I will be a disease-fightin' fool.

DOUR,
Resisting the really cheap shot.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 21, 2013, 03:59:55 AM

Gonna try putting an impact wrench in my mouth tomorrow.  I will be a disease-fightin' fool.

DOUR,

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

More on the probiotic angle: http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/changing-gut-bacteria-through-245617.aspx

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 21, 2013, 04:03:28 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 21, 2013, 03:59:55 AM

DOUR,

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

More on the probiotic angle: http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/changing-gut-bacteria-through-245617.aspx
Interesting.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Telarus

Hahahaha, I love science-speak:

Comet ISON, Presumed Dead, Shows New Life
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/30/science/space/comet-presumed-dead-shows-new-life.html?_r=0

QuoteImages taken by spacecraft showed an increasingly bright point at the head of the comet. Dr. Battams said that current data could not offer a definitive answer, but it appeared Friday that part of ISON's nucleus was still holding together.

"It's definitely maybe alive," Dr. Battams said. "There's a strong definite chance it might be, may be alive."
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Salty

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Alty on December 02, 2013, 12:13:47 AM
We need a thread for Goofy Weekly Science Headlines.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2515969/Humans-evolved-female-chimpanzee-mated-pig-Extraordinary-claim-American-geneticist.html
Great ending! I still prefer the aquatic ape theory though.
Here is a very thorough critique
I haven't read most of it but it seems very thorough.
I know it is not common practice to post your opponents' arguments, but it seems right to me here because the aquatic ape is not commonly considered an acceptable theory.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It would be easier to not spittake and headdesk if the guy provided any evidence that primate/porcine crossfertilization could take place, let alone that the offspring of such a bizarre cross would be fertile.

Salty

Quote from: :regret: on December 02, 2013, 12:27:19 AM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2515969/Humans-evolved-female-chimpanzee-mated-pig-Extraordinary-claim-American-geneticist.html
I know it is not common practice to post your opponents' arguments, but it seems right to me here because the aquatic ape is not commonly considered an acceptable theory.

Ooh I like it better that way anyhow. Proponents of a given idea are never to be fully trusted.

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on December 02, 2013, 12:35:01 AM
It would be easier to not spittake and headdesk if the guy provided any evidence that primate/porcine crossfertilization could take place, let alone that the offspring of such a bizarre cross would be fertile.

We can all dream.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Alty on December 02, 2013, 12:37:27 AM
Quote from: :regret: on December 02, 2013, 12:27:19 AM

Ooh I like it better that way anyhow. Proponents of a given idea are never to be fully trusted.
Hmm, in theory i agree but the aquatic ape book has a special place in my heart for some reason. Lets just leave it at that my opinion cannot be trusted when it comes to this subject. Except that i do think the aquatic ape is a good read.

Quote from: Alty on December 02, 2013, 12:37:27 AM
Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on December 02, 2013, 12:35:01 AM

We can all dream.
Wouldn't the different number of chromosomes throw a wrench in the works? I must admit my knowledge of genetics is limited but i seem to remember that bit being important to meiosis.

Salty

Most of my shit is rusty, I'm just avoiding Quickbooks right now.

But I know bullshit when I smell it.  :lulz:

Seriously though, how did people get to demanding this kind of shit?