News:

PD.com: Like a fraternity of drunken clowns, hopped up on goofballs, beating one-another to a bloody pulp with bricks; the maniacal laughter increases exponentially as someone runs off to get a cinder-block.

Main Menu

Weekly Science Headlines

Started by Kai, July 30, 2008, 10:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

Two thousand mice dropped on Guam by parachute — to kill snakes
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101240774
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Telarus on December 03, 2013, 08:43:44 PM
Two thousand mice dropped on Guam by parachute — to kill snakes
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101240774

In related news, 300 sheep released in Zimbabwe to kill lions.   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,

Telarus

Tool use in crocodylians: crocodiles and alligators use sticks as lures to attract waterbirds
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/tetrapod-zoology/2013/11/30/tool-use-in-crocs-and-gators/

Hmmm, very interesting.
Telarus, KSC,

Junkenstein

Proving the existence of DOUR's reptoid heritage takes another step forward.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

minuspace

Quote from: Telarus on December 04, 2013, 03:40:53 AM
Tool use in crocodylians: crocodiles and alligators use sticks as lures to attract waterbirds
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/tetrapod-zoology/2013/11/30/tool-use-in-crocs-and-gators/

Hmmm, very interesting.

I like it, I like it :pokewithstick:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Junkenstein on December 04, 2013, 08:34:36 AM

Hey now, he almost never lurks in shallow water with sticks on his head to lure birds into landing.

Tucson doesn't even HAVE any water.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on December 04, 2013, 10:39:53 PM

Hey now, he almost never lurks in shallow water with sticks on his head to lure birds into landing.

I have to use the settling pond.  :(
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 04, 2013, 10:40:41 PM
Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on December 04, 2013, 10:39:53 PM

Horseshit. I'd ask the herons about this, which I can't. Not pointing fingers but we all know why.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

minuspace

Quote from: Junkenstein on December 04, 2013, 10:51:06 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 04, 2013, 10:40:41 PM

Horseshit. I'd ask the herons about this, which I can't. Not pointing fingers but we all know why.
Lo, y'all too awful to demonstrate :lulz:

Salty

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/12/131205141900.htm?utm_source

So...because these people THINK the symptoms of these infections are autism-like enough probitics may be help autism?

Or have I missed something?
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Alty on December 06, 2013, 12:50:57 AM

So...because these people THINK the symptoms of these infections are autism-like enough probitics may be help autism?

Autism may be connected to leaky guts, lets make mice autistic by doing something to them that is known to cause autism in humans.
Hey, their guts are leaking just like in some autistic humans. What happens if we treat the leaky gut? Oh, hey the autism symptoms got less.
Let's try this shit on humans, since the treatment is already accepted and safe.

I believe it could work.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Alty on December 06, 2013, 12:50:57 AM

It might make more sense to say that they think it's possible that at least some of the diagnosed cases of autism in humans may be caused by the same problems that caused autism-like behavior in their test mice, and that if that is the case, the treatment which helped the test mice may also help those humans.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

Cable firms starting to shit themselves about the existence of the internet:
http://bgr.com/2013/12/09/anti-cord-cutting-ad-campaign-wtf/

QuoteThe cable cutter continues to embrace the bunny, and offers the small creature a ride on his bicycle. The rabbit then leaps up and latches on to the man's neck, biting down and continuing to hold on despite the man's struggles.

"And because he didn't get the news," a tablet tethered to a cactus reveals, "he didn't know mutant bunnies were on the loose."

Of course had you given the poor guy cable, disaster would have been averted. The tablet tethered to the cactus would have been revealed in time and it would have been streaming a breaking newscast informing the man that mutant bunnies escaped from a nearby lab. He would know, then, to put on a falconry glove and tame the mutant beast before taking it for a ride on his bike.

I lack the words.

Junkenstein

You know what Austrailia really needs? More danger.
http://gizmodo.com/miners-spill-a-million-liters-of-radioactive-acid-in-a-1479708013

QuoteAbout a million liters of radioactive acid sludge accidentally poured out of a tank at the Ranger uranium mine in northern Australia. As if the spill itself weren't bad enough, the mine is also located in the Kakadu National Park, where most of Crocodile Dundee was filmed. That place is a national treasure.

Luckily, this catastrophic-sounding event might be resolved without too much destruction. The people who run the mine say they can clean up the mess easily and there's been "no impact to the environment," because the spill was confined to the mine. Whether or not this is actually true remains to be seen, as the radioactive acid sludge is strong enough to damage the local ecosystem if it makes it into the nearby water supply. Again, this would be bad since this mine is sitting smack dab in the middle of a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

It's an impressive level of bribery that lets you do this in the middle of a heritage site.