News:

PD.com : We are the parents your children warned you about.

Main Menu

Weekly Science Headlines

Started by Kai, July 30, 2008, 10:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Telarus on December 31, 2013, 02:49:00 AM
Consensual use of mind-altering substances in non-human persons?

Confirmed.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/30/puff-puff-pass-young-dolphins-deliberately-chew-puffer-fish-to-get-high-with-each-other/

See, this is the sort of thing that makes preventionists very, very sad.

The dolphins involved should be shoved into a tuna net, for their own good.  It's not a perfect system, but it's the only way we can protect our assets.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,

Sita

Found this interesting.
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/12/mapping-how-emotions-manifest-in-the-body/282713/
QuoteThe mapping exercise produced what you might expect: an angry hot-head, a happy person lighting up all the way through their fingers and toes, a depressed figurine that was literally blue (meaning they felt little sensation in their limbs). Almost all of the emotions generated changes in the head area, suggesting smiling, frowning, or skin temperature changes, while feelings like joy and anger saw upticks in the limbs—perhaps because you're ready to hug, or punch, your interlocutor. Meanwhile, "sensations in the digestive system and around the throat region were mainly found in disgust," the authors wrote. It's worth noting that the bodily sensations weren't blood flow, heat, or anything else that could be measured objectively—they were based solely on physical twinges subjects said they experienced.

And here's a link to the study since the article didn't have a link: http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2013/12/26/1321664111.full.pdf
:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

LMNO

Cf: Wilhelm Reich's "body armor" concepts.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 31, 2013, 02:52:28 AM
Quote from: Telarus on December 31, 2013, 02:49:00 AM
Consensual use of mind-altering substances in non-human persons?

Confirmed.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/30/puff-puff-pass-young-dolphins-deliberately-chew-puffer-fish-to-get-high-with-each-other/

See, this is the sort of thing that makes preventionists very, very sad.

The dolphins involved should be shoved into a tuna net, for their own good.  It's not a perfect system, but it's the only way we can protect our assets.

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This is the best research ever.

http://www.frontiersinzoology.com/content/10/1/80/abstract

QuoteDogs preferred to excrete with the body being aligned along the North-south axis under calm MF conditions. This directional behavior was abolished under Unstable MF. The best predictor of the behavioral switch was the rate of change in declination, i.e., polar orientation of the MF.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

minuspace

Junkenstein

Quote from: Telarus on December 31, 2013, 07:06:54 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 31, 2013, 06:11:58 PM
Cf: Wilhelm Reich's "body armor" concepts.

OOh, yes. Nice find Sita!

Could I ask any of you three (or anyone in general) for an opinion of Reich? I've had him on the reading list for a while but never got round to bothering as the opinions were so varied I assumed bullshit crank in good disguise and left him largely alone. Aside from the basic biography I've got no clue if his research actually had any merit so if anyone can shed some light it'd be appreciated.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

LMNO

Right up until he decided that Orgone was (1) detectable and (2) the answer to literally everything wrong with humans and society, he had some good ideas.

Listen, Little Man! is genius, and The Mass Psychology of Facism is a pretty good read.

Like any nacent psychological research and practice, it's clumsy and doesn't work that well with modern neuroscience, but as a model and a metaphor, it has a few positive pragmatic uses.

Telarus

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 03, 2014, 01:54:32 PM
Right up until he decided that Orgone was (1) detectable and (2) the answer to literally everything wrong with humans and society, he had some good ideas.

Listen, Little Man! is genius, and The Mass Psychology of Facism is a pretty good read.

Like any nacent psychological research and practice, it's clumsy and doesn't work that well with modern neuroscience, but as a model and a metaphor, it has a few positive pragmatic uses.

Agreed. RAW's conception of Reich's work was also very useful for me in exploring the Buddhist/Zen headspace.
Telarus, KSC,

Junkenstein

Thanks gents, I'll move those two towards the top of the pile and go from there.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

GrannySmith

X