News:

By the power of lulz, I, while living, have conquered the internets.

Main Menu

Five Blind Men and an Elephant

Started by Reverend Loveshade, August 13, 2008, 02:50:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fomenter

and would model agnosticism be considered a form of syncretism?
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on August 21, 2008, 04:32:19 PM
Hey... Would Syncretism be considered the Law of Fives in Eristic-speak?

It could, I suppose it depends on the relation being discussed in Syncretism. For example, trying to claim that Coyote and Loki are the same because they're tricksters, seems like the law of fives being applied. Saying that Eris and Discordia, or Zeus and Apollo are the same, seems more a study of history than finding patterns, since it appears that there was a relationship between the Greek and Roman gods.

Finding relationships between Hindu, Lutheran and Buddhism though, I think would require LAWL O' 5's for sure ;-)

Quote from: fnord mote eris on August 21, 2008, 04:34:43 PM
and would model agnosticism be considered a form of syncretism?

I don't think so. Syncretism seems like a Model which could be used by a Model Agnostic, but (based on my current understanding) it appears that Syncretism is actually an attempt to put a bunch of models together, in order to create a single model. Model Agnosticism, as I understand it, isn't looking for a GUM (Grand Unified Model).
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cain

You know, I'll normally let an imagebomb or two go, so long as they aren't too excessive.

However, when they start fucking up my browser, there I draw the line.  I think its a good rule, generally, since my connection is not as good as most peoples.

Davedim,
continue being a dick, and I will find something inventive to do with your email.  Capische?

LMNO

Hey, doesn't this all imply that Carl Jung may be a fascist?

fomenter

i thought model agnosticism was a type of GUM a model of how perceptual models work
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Messier Undertree

Quote from: Cain on August 21, 2008, 04:58:05 PM
Davedim,
continue being a dick, and I will find something inventive to do with your email.  Capische?

Heh, okay I'm done.

Cain

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on August 21, 2008, 04:59:58 PM

Ah, maybe... he was from Europe, and all Europeans are fascists, right? (Except for the British)

Quote from: fnord mote eris on August 21, 2008, 05:00:24 PM
i thought model agnosticism was a type of GUM a model of how perceptual models work

Model Agnosticism works at a meta level, I think. It makes claims about how much we can trust any given model, but it doesn't necessarily try to mush all of the models together. Syncretism seems, to me, a process of taking a couple beliefs from Belief System A and mixing it in with Belief System B, Model Agnosticism tends to be more about believing Belief System A for a bit, then dumping it and believing Belief System B for a little bit.

The practitioner might start tying various models together in a Syncretic sort of way, but that's not really the goal of Model Agnosticism, as I understand it. In fact, I'd probably argue that believing the Syncretic model any more than you believed A or B would appear contrary to what I see as  the goals of Model Agnosticism.

Cain

So, to tie it up, Model Agnosticism means buying into the entire model or worldview for a time, then abandoning it (ie "paradigm piracy") whereas syncretism is trying to tie together several divergent worldviews or models into a new whole.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cain on August 21, 2008, 05:18:32 PM
So, to tie it up, Model Agnosticism means buying into the entire model or worldview for a time, then abandoning it (ie "paradigm piracy") whereas syncretism is trying to tie together several divergent worldviews or models into a new whole.

I think that's probably a very good summation :)

fomenter

Quote from: Ratatosk on August 21, 2008, 05:14:53 PM

Ah, maybe... he was from Europe, and all Europeans are fascists, right? (Except for the British)

Model Agnosticism works at a meta level, I think. It makes claims about how much we can trust any given model, but it doesn't necessarily try to mush all of the models together. Syncretism seems, to me, a process of taking a couple beliefs from Belief System A and mixing it in with Belief System B, Model Agnosticism tends to be more about believing Belief System A for a bit, then dumping it and believing Belief System B for a little bit.

The practitioner might start tying various models together in a Syncretic sort of way, but that's not really the goal of Model Agnosticism, as I understand it. In fact, I'd probably argue that believing the Syncretic model any more than you believed A or B would appear contrary to what I see as  the goals of Model Agnosticism.
titcm - calling model agnosticism syncretic is probably a misuse of the word, the meta model nature of model agnosticism makes it seem to be syncretic when its a model of models (but since there is no mushing )the word doesn't apply.

hmroogp

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: fnord mote eris on August 21, 2008, 05:24:58 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on August 21, 2008, 05:14:53 PM

The practitioner might start tying various models together in a Syncretic sort of way, but that's not really the goal of Model Agnosticism, as I understand it. In fact, I'd probably argue that believing the Syncretic model any more than you believed A or B would appear contrary to what I see as  the goals of Model Agnosticism.

Did you mean to say something? ;-)

fomenter

edit  after mouse coordination problems

hmroogp

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: fnord mote eris on August 21, 2008, 05:36:34 PM
edit  after mouse coordination problems

is mouse coordination like cat herding?

fomenter

related to, if you have a discordinated mouse problem a herd of cats is a good remedy

hmroogp