News:

I know you said that you wouldn't tolerate excuses, but I have a real good one.

Main Menu

She's a man baby

Started by Vene, August 18, 2008, 03:30:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vene

http://jrsm.rsmjournals.com/cgi/content/full/101/8/395
Intersexuality and the Olympic games.

Well, I thought it was interesting.

Cain

Looks like they eventually came up with the best way to treat a difficult and complex issue.

Kai

Putting aside the somewhat rude title of this thread, the olimpic games made the right choice about this issue. Gender and sex discrimination against the intersexed is no new issue.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Chairman Risus

Rude Discordians? 
:eek:
This is new to me.  You've got to give me a second to take this in...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Being transgender is the new bi.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Transsexual until graduation?

:?

Kai

*facepalm*

This is why I should keep things to myself.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Cain

Kai, while I can appreciate why this may be a sensitive topic for you, I do think reacting about an Austin Powers reference (especially one where, if you have seen the film, it turns out he is WRONG) is not necessary when it is nothing more than a lighthearted pop culture nod.

We don't exactly tiptoe around other subjects, unless a person is being purposively denigrating and bigoted, and I see no evidence of that here.  I may be wrong, perhaps you can point to something otherwise, but as far as I can see, Vene's only crime is that of carefree thread naming.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's those fucking bisexuals that are fucking things up for everyone. If only they weren't such fucking SPAGS.

Oh, and the Discordians. I hate those guys.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on August 18, 2008, 06:50:06 PM
Transsexual until graduation?

:?

C'mon baby, it's cool. Everybody's doing it.

Kai

Quote from: Cain on August 18, 2008, 08:09:01 PM
Kai, while I can appreciate why this may be a sensitive topic for you, I do think reacting about an Austin Powers reference (especially one where, if you have seen the film, it turns out he is WRONG) is not necessary when it is nothing more than a lighthearted pop culture nod.

We don't exactly tiptoe around other subjects, unless a person is being purposively denigrating and bigoted, and I see no evidence of that here.  I may be wrong, perhaps you can point to something otherwise, but as far as I can see, Vene's only crime is that of carefree thread naming.

Nahh, I'm just a bit too sensitive. Sorry to everyone here. No one should have to tiptoe around me.

Sorry Vene.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

And I'm sorry for being a jerk.

Cain

Quote from: Kai on August 18, 2008, 08:26:56 PM

Nahh, I'm just a bit too sensitive. Sorry to everyone here. No one should have to tiptoe around me.

Sorry Vene.

OK, but don't apologize for speaking up about it.  If you think something may be out of line, I'd rather you say something, so we can discuss it, and not have you feel you have to be quiet about it, even if it is borderline insulting (or worse).

Vene

Quote from: Nigel on August 18, 2008, 06:48:53 PM
Being transgender is the new bi.
Wrong disorder.

Quote from: Kai on August 18, 2008, 08:26:56 PM

Sorry Vene.
Don't worry about it.  Like Cain said, I'm just quoting a silly movie.  I know that sexuality is a lot more complex than just male or female.  That's part of the reason I posted this.

Quote from: Cain on August 18, 2008, 08:34:29 PMOK, but don't apologize for speaking up about it.  If you think something may be out of line, I'd rather you say something, so we can discuss it, and not have you feel you have to be quiet about it, even if it is borderline insulting (or worse).
This.  Plus, I have thick skin.  I won't be upset if you point out me being stupid.  Actually, I would rather have people correct me than just allow me to go on being a stupid asshole.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Really though, you new kids have no idea how good you have it. Prejudice, misunderstanding, and violence against gays and trannies (both -sexual and -vestite) was so much worse just 20 years ago, and fortunately enough people in the generation before yours was brave enough to come out and deal with a LOT of shit. I've put up with a startling amount of prejudice myself in the past (including from the gay community) but social acceptance has come to the point where most people I run into don't bat an eye. People are gradually getting better/more understanding about it, so that kids CAN come out and identify themselves as gay/bi/trans with a great deal LESS fear of being beaten, murdered, expelled, shunned, or disowned.

You experience prejudice but you have choices now that weren't available to a lot of older people when they were figuring themselves out. I have several dead friends and a couple of dead relatives whose blood I hope in some way contributed to tolerance and acceptance. Keep on fighting the good fight and maybe the next generation won't have to put up with this shit.

Also, don't forget to laugh at yourself. It's important.