News:

Testimonial: "Yeah, wasn't expecting it. Near shat myself."

Main Menu

Discordia as a Religion?

Started by Cramulus, September 03, 2008, 07:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elder Iptuous

It also seems to me that in the religious context it is more readily able to displace other ideas that are what we are trying to balance out.  The static dogmas and gray philosophies are pegs in a hole, and if we want to switch them out, we should carve our ideas into a similarly shaped peg. 
If anything, i would think more religious trappings would be better.  The rigid nature of the precepts of organized religions are what allow them to assemble the massive hierarchical infrastructure of their loftiness.  Why shouldn't we make a game of seeing how high we can build our tower with ideas that are the equivalent of silly putty and licorice sticks?

Verbal Mike

Who's trying to balance things out? I know I'm not. Fuck balance. Shut off the starboard engine. Let this crazy ship go spinning.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

LMNO

I'm gonna approach this issue in a Discordian way:

Discordianism-as-Religion is one model.

Discordianism-as-Philosophy is another model.

Discordianism-as-Troll is a third.

Etc

Etc

Ad Nauseum.

EMPLOY WHATEVER MODEL IS MOST USEFUL AT THE MOMENT.  SPAGS.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on September 04, 2008, 02:39:21 PM
I'm gonna approach this issue in a Discordian way:

Discordianism-as-Religion is one model.

Discordianism-as-Philosophy is another model.

Discordianism-as-Troll is a third.

Etc

Etc

Ad Nauseum.

EMPLOY WHATEVER MODEL IS MOST USEFUL AT THE MOMENT.  SPAGS.

:lulz:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Golden Applesauce

After reading this thread, I'm going to revise my response.

The mythology is important - it sets the context for the rest of the book.  And it definately sets Discordja apart from the religions/philosophies whose point is to find reason, order, or balance.

I liked the reveal of 'everyone's a pope' AFTER the chart of 5 different religious ranks... all inferior to a Pope.

I like putting KSC after my name.  (Sometimes, when I don't mind having to explain what it means.)

And the guide to proselytizing in the PD was beautiful in the way it nailed other religious marketing attempts, and 'sophisticated' believers. 

In conclusion: having a screwball religion is just infinitely more awesome than a screwball philosophy.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: GA on September 04, 2008, 04:25:37 PM

The mythology is important - it sets the context for the rest of the book.  And it definately sets Discordja apart from the religions/philosophies whose point is to find reason, order, or balance.

I liked the reveal of 'everyone's a pope' AFTER the chart of 5 different religious ranks... all inferior to a Pope.

I like putting KSC after my name.  (Sometimes, when I don't mind having to explain what it means.)

And the guide to proselytizing in the PD was beautiful in the way it nailed other religious marketing attempts, and 'sophisticated' believers. 

In conclusion: having a screwball religion is just infinitely more awesome than a screwball philosophy.

Agreed... though really, now that the Erisian 'Religion' exists, a Discordian Philosophy could be built on top of it. What are the Ethics of an Absurdest? I think perhaps an entire PD-like book could be written as a parody of books on Ethics/Philosophy and make very funny/salient points... perhaps as usefully as the PD, replacing myth with allegory.

Ah, I have just been inspired... The Ship of Theseus needs a Discordian treatment ;-)

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

Damnit, where's St. Verthaine when you need him?
Synaptyclypse Generator Publishing Sect, POEE International Resource Center

LMNO

Cleaning up after Gustav, most likely.

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

Synaptyclypse Generator Publishing Sect, POEE International Resource Center

nostalgicBadger

Quote from: VERB` on September 03, 2008, 09:56:09 PM
Here's what I wrote while Ratatosk was being a creepy ninja and writing the same stuff in different words:

Actually I think what really makes Discordia-as-religion is the collection of memes presented in PD. The Original Snub, the Pentabarf, the Law of Five, and all the quirky little jokes. Also the visual symbology.

RWHN is right, it's about a feeling of fellowship. And at the basis of this is a shared memeplex, a shared symbology to use when relating to a potential brother-in-faith. This is almost independent from the actual philosophy behind PD (Nonsense as Salvation, Sermon on Love and Ethics), though the two reinforce each other in many ways.

At the end of the day, without the symbology it would be a school of thought, not a religion.

By this standard, the internet is a religion, and Encyclopedia Dramatica some kind of bible.
meh.

rong

principia is the only religion i know of that gives you an "out"

the last thing you read in the pentabarf is that a discordian is can't believe what he reads.

not: follow these commandments, OR ELSE!!!!

(is a recovering catholic)
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Verbal Mike

Quote from: nostalgicBadger on September 05, 2008, 12:08:53 AMBy this standard, the internet is a religion, and Encyclopedia Dramatica some kind of bible.
Yes, because I said anything with memes in it is a religion. :roll:
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: GA on September 04, 2008, 04:25:37 PM

:mittens:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

A.N. Other

Quote from: VERB` on September 04, 2008, 06:55:28 AM
Who's trying to balance things out? I know I'm not. Fuck balance. Shut off the starboard engine. Let this crazy ship go spinning.

...I think I love you. Or some vague emotion of love.
"Wow, for an asshole, everyone loves you, honey." -My wife

LMNO

Quote from: nostalgicBadger on September 05, 2008, 12:08:53 AM
Quote from: VERB` on September 03, 2008, 09:56:09 PM
Here's what I wrote while Ratatosk was being a creepy ninja and writing the same stuff in different words:

Actually I think what really makes Discordia-as-religion is the collection of memes presented in PD. The Original Snub, the Pentabarf, the Law of Five, and all the quirky little jokes. Also the visual symbology.

RWHN is right, it's about a feeling of fellowship. And at the basis of this is a shared memeplex, a shared symbology to use when relating to a potential brother-in-faith. This is almost independent from the actual philosophy behind PD (Nonsense as Salvation, Sermon on Love and Ethics), though the two reinforce each other in many ways.

At the end of the day, without the symbology it would be a school of thought, not a religion.

By this standard, the internet is a religion, and Encyclopedia Dramatica some kind of bible.

Makes about as much sense as the Bahá'í...