News:

Just 'cause this is a Discordian board doesn't mean we eat up dada bullshit

Main Menu

Rev Roger, Year of the Rat#13: That Old Black Magic.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, September 09, 2008, 12:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

It has been said by wiser men than me that evil has its own attraction.  Any time there is chaos or economic failure, the idea of strong organization becomes very palatable to domesticated primates...So they turn to things like police forces wearing military-type uniforms, etc.  There's a certain magic in fascism, that appeals to people when times are rotten.

A good example is the ICE branch of the US Customs office, which is now part of DHS instead of the Treasury Department.  ICE officers do not wear the police-style uniforms worn by other federal policing agencies, but rather the "digital camoflage uniforms worn by the US Army.  There is, of course, no need for this uniform other than to give an intimidating, paramilitary appearance to the officers.

Germany did that, once.

Another thing people tend to do when times get rocky is to view dissenters as treasonous or at least "obstructionist".  The press, if not completely on board with the political leadership, is castigated and - if possible - silenced.

An example of this is today's removal of Keith Olbermann from the RNC convention coverage, as he objected to the airing of a 911-themed film shown at the convention.  To show part of such a clip is simply reporting...but to show the entire clip is essentially unpaid advertising for the party in question on the part of the network.  To show an entire speech is also responsible journalism, but an entire, packaged propaganda piece?

That goes beyond journalism, into "mouthpiece" territory.  And a captive and/or sycophantic media is an abomination...Indeed, our "free press" is merely an unofficial branch of the so-called "government".

I don't know about you, but it's time to start fucking with the media.

Or kill me.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Chairman Risus

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Risus on September 09, 2008, 01:13:01 AM
Sounds like a good idea to me.

Oh, yes.  We've DONE forums.

Now I want to go after Fox and MSNBC.  I want to hunt BIG GAME.

Anyone else interested?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Golden Applesauce

If you have a good enough plan, sure.

As far as the airing of that film goes, I'd say show it all (or at least enough of it,) and then have an objective discussion on why the republicans are trying to win the election with fear games.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Requia ☣

Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypseâ„¢

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Darth Cupcake

I wouldn't know the first thing to do.

But I'd love to see it done.

If you'd like to help me understand what I could do, I'd be down.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Janvier

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 09, 2008, 12:30:50 AM
It has been said by wiser men than me that evil has its own attraction.  Any time there is chaos or economic failure, the idea of strong organization becomes very palatable to domesticated primates...So they turn to things like police forces wearing military-type uniforms, etc.  There's a certain magic in fascism, that appeals to people when times are rotten.

A good example is the ICE branch of the US Customs office, which is now part of DHS instead of the Treasury Department.  ICE officers do not wear the police-style uniforms worn by other federal policing agencies, but rather the "digital camoflage uniforms worn by the US Army.  There is, of course, no need for this uniform other than to give an intimidating, paramilitary appearance to the officers.

Germany did that, once.

Another thing people tend to do when times get rocky is to view dissenters as treasonous or at least "obstructionist".  The press, if not completely on board with the political leadership, is castigated and - if possible - silenced.

An example of this is today's removal of Keith Olbermann from the RNC convention coverage, as he objected to the airing of a 911-themed film shown at the convention.  To show part of such a clip is simply reporting...but to show the entire clip is essentially unpaid advertising for the party in question on the part of the network.  To show an entire speech is also responsible journalism, but an entire, packaged propaganda piece?

That goes beyond journalism, into "mouthpiece" territory.  And a captive and/or sycophantic media is an abomination...Indeed, our "free press" is merely an unofficial branch of the so-called "government".

I don't know about you, but it's time to start fucking with the media.

Or kill me.

Hear, Hear, Good Reverend Roger indeed.

I'm willing to help in any way I can, being situated in the Netherlands.
Goddess approves.

fomenter

"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

A worthy cause indeed!

Now, any ideas on how to pull it off?
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

fomenter

i am not a troll or very knowledgeable about the inner workings of media so this is just a idea...

get the media to report on how fail the other networks reporting is, start a flame war between networks,news papers etc.

if stories about how "NBC" is lame, didn't ask this tough question or kissed this politician's ass get a big enough play (it probably needs to be huge) and the other channels report it.

then similar stories get reported about how the network doing the reporting on "NBC's" lameness are equally lame etc.

-flame war ensues and reporters are forced to do a good job to avoid being called on there mistakes/biases
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Adios

Name calling and shit slinging would just make us look like loonies and make the media look better. A well informed rebuttal campaign with all the facts that the media doesn't bother to relay would be a good start. Omission reporting is their greatest tool and it wouldn't be that difficult to refute it with the full stories.

Just thinking out loud.

Janvier

Quote from: The Reverend Asshat on September 09, 2008, 06:08:01 PM
Name calling and shit slinging would just make us look like loonies and make the media look better. A well informed rebuttal campaign with all the facts that the media doesn't bother to relay would be a good start. Omission reporting is their greatest tool and it wouldn't be that difficult to refute it with the full stories.

Just thinking out loud.
Of course, you'd need someone who knows the full stories...

fomenter

getting substantial stories about the lack of substance in the competition's stories was what i had in mind , no real insight into how it could be done, the thin yellow line we don't report on there yellow journalism they don't report ours would need to be broken

hmroogp

Richter

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 09, 2008, 12:30:50 AM
know about you, but it's time to start fucking with the media.

Or kill me.

What did you have in mind?
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat