News:

My opinion > Your opinion

Main Menu

It's going to be a Teenage Riot!

Started by AFK, September 26, 2008, 06:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richter

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on October 20, 2008, 09:05:23 PM
It's gonna be really, really cold.  And cold.

And did I mention it'll be chilly? 

Down, wool, polarfleece.
Cotton is ineffective.
Bring a ground pad.

Edit: I can't spell.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

The Dark Monk

Hit up a military surplus store or something and grab hand warmers.
They're awesome to put in a sleeping bag.
I thought this is all there is,
but now I know you are so much more.
I want to upgrade from my simple eight bits,
but will you still love me when I'm sixty-four?
~MIAB~

Richter

Many very serviceable bit of camping and insulating gear can be grabbed from a good surplus store.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

LMNO

Quote from: Eve on October 21, 2008, 01:30:57 AM
I think it sounds kind of.. well, fun isn't necessarily the right word, but something like it. Then again, I suffer from occasional bouts of thinking that influencing kids to be better people can be enjoyable. Lail!

Thread title made me think of the Ataris.

GONNA HAVE A TEENAGE RIOT! THEY'LL NEVER UNDERSTAND WHAT IT'S LIKE TO BE A KID TODAY!
                  \

Does it show my age that the first thing I thought of was Sonic Youth?

Yes.  Yes, it does.
:gheyforum:

Eve

It's okay, Gramps, we won't hold it against you.  :lulz:

I thought of Sonic Youth second! ..but I think that's just further proving your point.
Emotionally crippled narcissist.

AFK

Well, I did have the Sonic Youth song in mind when I titled the thread. 

Anyhoo, I'm back.  I survived.  Didn't get much sleep.  I might've logged 4 hours if I was lucky.

I got to chat with some of the kiddos and it was definitely a very interesting time.  It was also pretty heavy.  We have this one part of the program called "Brave Questions".  We pose open-ended questions to the kids, and give them a chance to share a story or something personal in relationship to that question.  For example one question was about Abuse.  There was some pretty heavy stories from these kids about what they and other family members have gone through at the hands of a once trusted adult.  Yet, there they were ready to be trained to help other kids who are going through those same struggles.  It was pretty encouraging I have to say. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Jenne

That's good, RWHN.  Those sometimes have a chance to go really bad when you're dealing with such personal and deep shit like that.  Sounds like a good episode.

AFK

Quote from: Jenne on October 22, 2008, 07:09:53 PM
That's good, RWHN.  Those sometimes have a chance to go really bad when you're dealing with such personal and deep shit like that.  Sounds like a good episode.

Each group from each school as adult facilitators.  Many times, they come from the guidance offices, some are teachers, but most of the time they are adults who have really good relationships with the kids and who are easy for kids to talk to.  So, there were times kids had to leave because it was too heavy, but they had plenty of support there.  It's amazing that those kids weren't deep into drugs or other destructive behaviors, because quite a few of them have been around some real putrid examples of humanity that have treated them pretty badly. 

AFK

Well, it's finally over. 

The last retreat ended yesterday.  All told we trained about 200 teenagers. 

[cue sappy violin music]

It was quite a rewarding experience and after going through it I have a slightly brighter outlook on the future.  For the most part, the kids we trained seemed to be pretty intune with themselves.  And that's a big part of our training, is helping the kids to really understand themselves, and to be able to listen to themselves so that they can be better listeners and better supports for the kids who will come to them for help.  I'm hopeful that some day I can make this program Model-status so we can spread it to other parts of the country. 

But I'm glad to be able to return to my "normal" schedule.  I think it was a little confusing to LWHN for me to be gone a couple days a week.  Time to start planning for next year.   :lol:

Reginald Ret

cool, congrats on helping kids improve ;)
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Triple Zero

Quote from: Drunkard LMNO on October 21, 2008, 02:47:44 PM
Quote from: Eve on October 21, 2008, 01:30:57 AM
I think it sounds kind of.. well, fun isn't necessarily the right word, but something like it. Then again, I suffer from occasional bouts of thinking that influencing kids to be better people can be enjoyable. Lail!

Thread title made me think of the Ataris.

GONNA HAVE A TEENAGE RIOT! THEY'LL NEVER UNDERSTAND WHAT IT'S LIKE TO BE A KID TODAY!
                  \

Does it show my age that the first thing I thought of was Sonic Youth?

Yes.  Yes, it does.
:gheyforum:

i think of ATARI TEENAGE RIOT every time i see the title of this thread.

Sonic Youth is older than ATR afaik (even though Delete Yourself is pretty old), what do they have to do with ATR?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Harlequin

Woo! Teens!

In all seriousness, that's really good stuff that you've done. Props to you.
After all, wasn't it Oscar Wilde who was arrested for sodomy? Sorry, I'm not quite sure why I said that...

AFK

Bump. 

I travel into the woods tomorrow for the first retreat of the year.  Looks like it's going to be a bit nippy out there.  Maybe some rain, maybe some snow.  And man, is there a lot of shit to pack. 

Shibboleet The Annihilator