News:

PD.com: "I'M MADDER THAN FISH GREASE!"

Main Menu

It's going to be a Teenage Riot!

Started by AFK, September 26, 2008, 06:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

So, one of the programs I, now, run at my agency is one involving teenagers.  It's a peer-listening program where kids in High Schools are identified who are good listeners.  Because studies have shown kids will go to other kids with personal issues before they go to teacher or even their parents.  The program is in over a dozen schools in my State.  Every year we have a training for these peer listeners that is an overnight thing at a camp out in the boonies of Maine.  My Program Manager, insisted, that it would be a good idea if I stayed overnight too.  You know, just in case there are any "incidents" with the teenagers and so the Agency has a representative there at all times.

So, starting in October I'll be staying there once a week for 5 weeks, with a bunch of wound-up teenagers away from home.  It's going to be interesting.  Although, this may present some opportunities for somehow sneaking in some BIP-ish philosophy to the kiddos.  I just have to figure out a crafty way to do so. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Sir Squid Diddimus

I'm sorry to hear this.

Squid- hates teenagers.

AFK

Apparently, the Retreat Facilitators routinely bring instruments along and they have jam sessions with the students who bring instruments, so it won't be all bad I suppose.  I'll be sure to bring along the Nose Flute.   :D

Richter

That's a pretty cool.  
Provide BIP with caution thou, I've known younguns to dissect ANYTHING a philosophy that piques their interest.

Out of curiosity, what's their mehtod for identifying good listeners?
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

AFK

They do conduct a survey in the schools where the kids nominate them.  It's pretty cool, because it isn't one of those elitist kind of clubs.  They get a good cross section of kids from different cliques.  You've got your athletes, your preps, goth/emos, geeks, gum chewers, etc. 

Richter

Bathroom blood drinkers?

(I had to)

Good.  The incarnation at my own school was an elitist, social climber group.     

They tried to test me once, (Obvious projective "make up a story", type).   I had great fun giving them useless answers.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

AFK

I don't actually facilitate the trainings.  I'm the co-ordinator for the program and we hire and contract with people to do the actual training curriculum.  It's not something I am trained in personally, though, if push came to shove I could probably do it.  Actually, the guy who used to run this program is one of the facilitators.  He got laid off a couple of months ago but we still decided to contract with him to do this thing.  It's a little awkward to be in meetings with him.  The new guy telling the old guy what's what and how things are going to operate. 

It should be interesting.  My first retreat is next Tuesday/Wednesday.  Hopefully I survive. 

Cramulus

Good luck with that RWHN. I get a feeling you're about to enter one of those cute made-for-nickelodeon dramas, where the unpopular kid learns that popularity ain't what it's cracked up to be, and the popular kid learns that he can sleep with ANYONE.

Suu

All honestly, it probably won't be that bad, considering the students that you're working with are going in for a program meant to help other kids.

I'm waiting back to hear from New Urban Arts myself, when I met with those kids last week they were a super bunch.

...Just be lucky they aren't middle schoolers.  :|
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

AFK

Quote from: Cramulus on September 29, 2008, 03:00:29 PM
Good luck with that RWHN. I get a feeling you're about to enter one of those cute made-for-nickelodeon dramas, where the unpopular kid learns that popularity ain't what it's cracked up to be, and the popular kid learns that he can sleep with ANYONE.

Gah!  I'm gonna be trapped in a CBS Afterschool Special!!!    :x

AFK

Bump, because I gotta start doing this shit tomorrow.  So after today I'll be scarce for a couple of days unless by some chance I find a wireless signal in the wastes of rural Midcoast Maine. 

Darth Cupcake

Wow, RWHN, that actually sounds like a really great concept, and I think it's awesome that you're doing this. The vague impression I get from you via internets is that I think you'll be really good at this. You're young enough that you won't seem completely out of touch, but old enough that they'll give you at least a teeny bit of respect. If they're doing it, they in theory at least sort of want to be there, so it shouldn't be that huge of a headache of enforcing rules and whatnot. I think it'll be a GREAT opportunity to plant some ideas, actually. I'd bet there'll be some kids in the group that'll be very receptive.

Good luck!
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

AFK

It's gonna be really, really cold.  And cold.

And did I mention it'll be chilly? 

Eve

I think it sounds kind of.. well, fun isn't necessarily the right word, but something like it. Then again, I suffer from occasional bouts of thinking that influencing kids to be better people can be enjoyable. Lail!

Thread title made me think of the Ataris.

GONNA HAVE A TEENAGE RIOT! THEY'LL NEVER UNDERSTAND WHAT IT'S LIKE TO BE A KID TODAY!
                  \
Emotionally crippled narcissist.